POLL: TOP Reggae song of all time. One vote. One heart.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

It basically put them on the map, so to speak, and I think got them on Virgin Front Line (correct me if I'm wrong here). I like it well enough, but not my favorite Culture release. I definitely prefer International Herb, Lion Rock and the Heartbeat comp Production Something.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm aboard with you guys, I like both albums a lot, but I don't see why they so often top lists. Another album that often is at the top of lists when Reggae fans vote, and which I would much rather hold forth, is Bob Andy's Song Book. I'm sure there are some genre polices that will say it's Rocksteady, but anyway, it's great and should be more well known. I hope this one will be part of the Yep Roc reissue program of original Studio One albums.

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

This is an interesting take on the fisherman rhythm

4. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Toots "54-46 Was My Number"

Could have voted Other: Dave and Ansel Collins - "Double Barrel"

5. I saw Eek A Mouse live at Bradford Uni in about 1988. 6'6 in his combat fatigues and string vest. He killed it. Always been a big fan of the Mouse. :righton:

The Pinhead and John Bonham like this.
  6. No way would I be able to come up with a definitive greatest song but I would definitely have this somewhere near the top. Absolutely majestic.

7. Satta Massagana - The Abyssinians
    The National Anthem of Ras Tafari

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  8. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

I have no doubt in my mind regarding my choice - Toots & the Maytals' "Pressure Drop." But if I were pressured to choose something other than that, I'd pick The Slickers' "Johnny Too Bad," with The Melodians' "Rivers of Babylon" and, perhaps, The Wailers' "I Shot the Sheriff" not far behind.

black sheriff and Fastnbulbous like this.
  9. I've been into Reggae ever since No Doubt invented it ;)

10. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Of the options, Police & Thieves by Junior Murvin.

My top 5:
    1. Jacob Miller - Baby I Love You So / Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown
    2. Gregory Isaacs - Tumbling Tears
    3. Dave Robinson - My Homeland
    4. Jackie Edwards - Ali Baba
    5. Hugh Mundell - Africa Must Be Free By 1983

Liam Brown and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

My one and only personal favourite: Dawn Penn (sorry if someone has already posted it)

12. You don't love me and I know now...

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

No need to be sorry, it is a great song that can be heard again and again, so let me post the video for 1992 hit re-recording from the Steely & Clevie Play Studio One Vintage album:

The song was actually originally titled "You Don't Love Me" and this re-recording is actually titled "You Don't Love Me (No, No, No)", but it usually just gets called "No No No".

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Mr_Vinyl and John Bonham like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

And here is another re-recording, from the 2009 movie Rocksteady: Roots of Reggae, going back to the original style again:

This movie is much recommended, Rocksteady veterans getting together to re-record old hits (not necessarily their own though) and relive old memories, here is the soundtrack album: http://www.discogs.com/master/view/406783

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Bobby Buckshot and John Bonham like this.
  16. Well, I'm no reggae purist, it's not really my cup of tea, so this one's not strictly reggae, in fact it was written by Stevie Wonder. But it's my favorite reggae song. Yes, it goes on and on for nine minutes - I don't care, I love this groove.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's not Reggae at all, but it's Third World, so that's cool! This is more like it though, "1865 (96° In The Shade)" is well worn, but I always enjoy it:

Their take on "Satta..." (the song that has a different spelling every time it gets recorded) from their first album is beautiful:
    Third World - Satta Massagana (Give Thanks) »

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. Third World is often derided as a sell out band by Reggae talibans
    I took Bunny Rugs to record dub plates in Paris in 1999 or 2000, and had very little success getting sound system operators interested, they all said he could not do roots tunes, was a funk singer masquerading as a reggae singer, etc... They just did not know Rugs had recorded tons of material before joining Third World and replacing Prilly Hamilton in 1976, including "To Love Somebody", a full album for Lee Perry (that I was privileged to re-issue), as a solo act and also as half of the Rocksteady-early reggae Bunny & Ricky group! And that TW had recorded some heavy roots songs anyway. So we did a few specials for Fatta from Soul Stereo (the best EU sound system) and naturally Rugs blew everyone away. Pretty soon, people were on the phone calling other sound system guys and we ended up recording a decent amount that made Rugs some nice change and he freaking killed every riddim, be it Upsetters, digital, vintage acoustic roots, Studio 1/Treasure Isle, etc... That man was something else. The best singer I've ever come across.

The first time I went to Jamaica was when Cat Coore invited me after I'd released his solo album (Uptown Rebel). I hung out with TW at the Sunsplash and in Kingston. Rugs took me everywhere in his rental Suzuki jeep, driving like a maniac and laughing with his big laugh. We went from one studio to another, he was finishing recording songs for a project called Grafton 4x4 released by Mesa Records featuring 4 singers (Michael Rose, Cocoa Tea, Freddie McGreggor and him), he introduced me to Sizzla who was on the verge of getting huge and still accessible, Merciless, and a ton of other artists. Back then, studios were crowded and you could meet 10 different reggae stars if you hung out an afternoon at Anchor or Tuff Gong or Mixing Lab. I freaking loved it.

Those were the days

19. Cat absolutely reveres the Abyssinians. He even made sure to use Donald Manning's services in a song called "Rhythm of life" where Donald says YmasGan, Ulagize at 2:18

Third World recently recorded a cover of YimMasGan by the Abyssinians with Damian Marley and Shiah Coore (Cat's son, a fantastic musician too) producing the track.

Bobby Buckshot and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  20. Go see Third World when they pass thru your town, they are fabulous musicians with a one of a kind repertoire.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.

21. Another Reggae Classic: Gregory Isaacs feat. Roots Radics Band - Night Nurse

22. Thanks for posting that, it's excellent. Beautiful song with some very Santana-like guitar. The Reggae Police may sneer at Third World, but they make wonderful music, reggae or no reggae.

John Bonham likes this.

23. Not "The Greatest Reggae Song of All-Time," but one that has always been very, very close to my heart.
    Cornel Campbell - The Judgement Come

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm going to be a contrarian d%ck and vote for something from Black Uhuru.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    John Bonham likes this.

25. Black Uhuru - Shine Eye Gal :pineapple:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.