Egyptian Theatre To Become One Of The Few Theaters In The Country To Screen Rare Nitrate Prints

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I love stories like this. They have been screening rare nitrate prints in there for YEARS!!

3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

It wasn't very well written, and the key piece of information was omitted: the Egyptian was certified to project nitrate up until 2007, when code changes made it unfeasible for them to continue to do so. The code was recently revised, and the changes mean that they will once again be able to run nitrate prints.

There's a lot more info from the Egyptian's technical manager in this thread on the Film-Tech forums:

Film-Tech Forum: Hollywood’s Historic Egyptian Theatre Undergoes Retrofit For “Rare” 35mm Nitrate Film »

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One of the best film nights of my life was when I was in college and they projected THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD in a 1948 IB Technicolor nitrate print at the Art Museum. (The WB vault print). There was a fireman in the booth.

It was so breathtaking I couldn't sleep for a few days after, I was that blown away by the experience.

I think I read somewhere that this print is dust now. I hope not. I still think of the experience at least once a week. It was that exciting to me.

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.