Please, seriously, I need HELP! I bought many of the TEAC Reference and love it!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KG123, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KG123

KG123 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello Everyone!

I swear left a very verbose message and this is going to be short and sweet.

I bought 4 components from TEAC Reference series, mostly because of a coupon from 3 years ago.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE LOVE it! No, I never had Naim equipment .. or Mark Levinson, or Linn, or Rega.

I have thought for 30 years anything Yamaha for good enough for me.

Then I change in the year 2000, I heard about "Sonic Frontiers" and got the entire Line 3, Power 3, except for Processor 3 ... so I bought the TEAC UD-501-B,

I found I loved the TEAC UD-501-B I bought everything out there!

However, a HUGE surprise is buying legal 24 bit/ 192 kHz files (catalogs) such as "The Cars" and "Van Halen" (among others)

When I buy the files from HDTracks, they do not, in my opinion, sounds as good playing on my TEAC

Reference stuff as they do on the computer with the Harmon-Kardon SoundSticks III.

CDs sound better on the TEAC Reference stuff

Please! Any help would be very appreciated!!

What am I doing wrong?

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Saving money?

Paully likes this.
  3. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Does the TEAC player's front panel display show that it's recognizing the files as 24 bit 192 kHz?

Paully likes this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Sometimes the hdtracks versions may not be as good as they are advertised. Its just a thought. If I remember correctly those Van Halen remasters were not as good. On a computer some of the issues with these versions may not come out as well like they would on a high end system. I have a lot of music that I would not dare attempt on higher end equipment because I know they would sound awful.

Paully likes this.
  5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Agreed that you will find that many of the Hi-Res downloads are sub par loudness war remasterings. When that happens, the older CD versions often sound better.

The regular Van Halen 24/96 is not as recommended. The VH 24/192 are a different mastering with higher DR values than the 24/96. The 24/192 are the recommended versions to download.

The FRiNgE and Paully like this.
  6. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

There was an earlier thread on this, which I think was removed. What I take to be the OP's issue (please correct me if I've got it wrong) is that the downloaded hi-rez files sound better played back on the computer than they do burned to a DVD and played back on the TEAC. I'm wondering if the disc is being burned correctly, which is why I'm asking if the TEAC recognizes the files properly. If not, maybe something in the DVD burning process is changing the sampling rate and/or bit depth.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  7. KG123

Hi Walter, and everyone!

Thanks for the replies! Yes, Walter H, I was wondering about that also. I just bought a new Laptop that is in Windows 8.1 and I can upgrade it free to Windows 10.

I'm going to wait until I get Windows 10 and break down and buy whatever is the best burning software (Nero, etc.) and use the JVC Pro Use DVD+Rs.

Anything that is a SHM-CD sound amazing! I just paid out the nose for a SHM-CD of Styx -The Grand Illusion. I have never hears a better recording, just equals to this. Another one that is so good, it's tied with the best of the best is the SHM-CD of Supertramp's Breakfast in America.

I think I need an update to date everything to burn stuff I buy online fron legal Hi-Rez sits like HD Tracks on DVD+Rs to be played on this TEAC stuff.

Hey Jack Flannery, was that a little dig at me? Listen man, I had a neck surgery years ago which collapses and since then it's be one health problem popping up after another!

All I have in life is music and Hi Fi, so give me a break!

Thanks!

Ken

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Enjoy what you have. Like your music! If it makes you happy, keep at it.

9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I think OP might be a genius.

10. KG123

Hi Kyhl,

They are the VH 24 Bit/192kHz. Yes, Walter, they register on the front of the TEAC as 24 bit, 192 kHz.

This really made part of my Hi Fi brain (sodt of) break apart because I don't understand it at all.

If I could get 24 Bit, 192 kHz SHM-DVD+R of most of that Beatles release from 2014 and early 2015, done (burned) probably in Japan and then maybe I could see. When can I get something to do everything the TEAC Reference D/A Converter, that is 32 Bis (!) and 384 kHz for Oversampling. That was the big reason, the "big Spec." I read on "The Elusive Disc" about 4 years ago and I thought my "Perpetual Technologies " were going to the "retired shelf".

The TEAC doesn't do that with it's $799.00 Reference cd/DVD player ... it needs something else, maybe a computer to get the 32; 384 spec. Yes, HD Tracks has downloads for that. They are only classical currently.

Instead of ALL of THIS, how about just Reel to Reels, 1/4" twin track 15 ips or 30 ips pure analog recordings ... that would make Neil Young proud, right?

There is a company that does this!! I thibk $100 each or $500 each.

Can you imagine John Lennon's Imagine, The Beatles Revolver or Rubber Soul, Pink Floyd's Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals??

Is that idea flying too close to the Sun??? And, of course, you get burned???

THX
    KENsZEN

11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

@KG123 ,
    The 24/96 versions of the 2015 VH reissues have less dynamic range than the 24/192. Supposedly the 24/192 is the source for the vinyl versions and 24/96 had more compression added.

See the DR database.

Van Halen 24/96 2015 remaster DR value of 9
    Van Halen 24/192 2015 remaster DR value of 13

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Why not just connect the UD-501 to your computer via USB and use Teac's HR Audio Player as the source, I generally use it for playing back hi-def material via my UD-301 and other than being ruthlessly revealing of lesser recordings it does a great job.

13. KG123

Thanks again everyone!

Dubmart, I'm going to do that now because I have a new awesome ACER laptop, I love and will try to do what you mentioned.

However, this bypasses the TEAC PD-501 disc player. That's OK ... if I only used the TEAC PD-501 disc player for The Beatles SHM catalog issue in Japan from late 2014 and then a reissue mid 2015 or Styx's SHM The Grand Illusion it will be fine. Did I mention GOOSEBUMPS in the first posting??

I've listened to The Beatles earnestly since the mid to late 70s and the SHM-CDs of The Beatles stuff ... all of it ... from the first issue of Please Please Me to Let It Be ... I never thoguht I'd hear The Beatles sound so GREAT! You can get these on eBay ... the almost sold out on the Japanese Music retailers that deliver to he U.S.A.

Thanks again Dubmart!!!

Best Regards,

Ken

P.S. Dubmart, do you use a special USB cable such as an AudioQuest USB Cable. Using all the Audioquest cables is not just a "tweak", to me .. in my opinion are essential! WOW! My Audioquest King Cobra XLR cables that connect all the TEAC Reference components ... WOW!
    Nice!! Super Nice!! I've wonder what the Audioquest computer cable such as the USB and Ethernet cables are like.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Ken,

let me know how you get on and what you think using the 501 as a DAC with the laptop, especially if you can try some high res downloads, I also use mine with Korg AudioGate software because I have a Korg MR1000, but I think for you the TEAC HR Audio Player is a much better choice.

I jut use a normal high quality, (well made), USB cable, not a freebie, although I do have a lot of expensive audio cables, mostly Van den Hul and Atlas and I think my CD player is connected using an Audioquest cable I just don't buy into it with digital other than buying something that is well made with good strong connectors, this belief has saved me a fortune, especially with HDMI cables that cost me £1 each, such a difference from spending £150 on a pair of RCA to RCA interconnects.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.