Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Not in the U.S.

2. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I feel like I should probably like or appreciate the Beetles more. At the age of 47 I neither own nor have I ever sat down and listened to an entire Beetles album. I certainly have heard some songs on the radio ad nauseam. I guess I just don't get it.

3. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

The Red Krayola. On paper, they're the proverbial bee's knees. But on wax, it's another story. I should like 'em more... it's just hard to stomach. I get indigestion just listening to their records.

4. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Why would you keep buying Bowie albums if you didn't even like him? Or Springsteen for that matter? When I discover a song or artist I like, and then buy the album, it has to make an impression on me if I buy album number 2 or invest money in their earlier albums. Of course there are artists who I am obsessed with and would buy anything they put out, but that's because I'm a dedicated fan. It seems ridiculous to buy albums by artists you don't like. Trying to impress people, perhaps?

"Oooh, you must be so sophistciated, you have the entire Captain Beefheart discography, how avant guard..." ....phh....please.....

5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

There's really nobody I think I should like more. My taste in music in one of the few things in life I'm absolutely sure I'm right about.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Genesis, for sure.
    They were one of the big 3 of 70's progressive rock but for some reason only YES and ELP are represented in my musical library.

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Recently I noticed that I only had 2 80s artists.
    Thought with the recent passing of Prince...that would get me into his music (wrong).
    Just getting into Hall & Oats, even though I've heard their music ever since the 80s.
    Something just clicked? i can't explain it.

Darryl

8. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

U need to do more drugs....lol

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That's something no one in my life has ever said :)

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Recently tried to get into The Eagles. I like the music OK, but...
    After watching the b****fest that is History Of The Eagles, kinda kills the music for me.
    Considering Gerry & The Pacemakers, but would like to be able to enjoy more than just the hits before I add their
    music to my musical archives. I recently did this with Roy Orbison.
    Took me between 1 & 2 weeks, but couldn't get enough of 'that voice'
    Still enjoy his music even now.

Darryl

11. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

Wilco should be right in my wheelhouse but it just never clicks.

Moshe likes this.
  12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It either clicks or it doesn't. You can't predict when it will happen.
    If you've enjoyed the hits that's only the first step.
    It's much harder to get into the rest of their catalogue.

Darryl

13. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

I love classic 70's hard rock but cant get into Deep Purple, Ive tried several times because I feel like I should like them but it just doesnt do it for me.
    I love Cheap Trick and can see a fairly big Beatles influence in their work but I really cant stand the Beatles.
    I really like Chris Robinson Brotherhood but the Grateful Dead have never done it for me (although I dont really know much of their stuff, where do I start?!?!)

Also, I love the Gaslight Anthem and Brian Fallon's solo work but I was never much of a Springsteen fan although I am getting into his earlier stuff now

14. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Elvis Costello
    Velvet Underground
    Clash
    Widespread Panic
    Phish

Yet I love the dead go figure

15. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Tom Waits
    Patty Smith
    Fleetwood Mac
    XTC
    Dire Straits
    Cheap Trick
    Primus

16. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

trying to link to a page rather than direct media link. Here's a classic show. The Morning Dew is one of my favorite things ever

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I thought of one in jazz...Oscar Peterson. I keep getting the urge to check out records of his although I rarely end up liking them.

18. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I agree, and tried listening to their music several times, but still feel nothing.

19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Van Halen. They are everything I want from a band except for the fact that I don't like them. I can find no wrong in them at all.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

No. I don't feel I "should" like anyone just because I'm TOLD I should by others. Absurd.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  21. anothergreatdivide

anothergreatdivide Active Member

Radiohead. I LOVE "Paranoid Android", "Electioneering" and "Just" but a lot of their music leaves me cold. Obviously brilliant songwriters and musicians, but they just don't do much for me.

Honourable mentions to Dylan, Springsteen and the Velvet Underground

22. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Have you heard the album We Get Requests? That was the first I heard and it started me off - you could say. :) Or maybe the time isn't now and if you were meant to get into his music then it will happen... later. I've found this with a lot of artists.

23. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I love jazz, but OP to me is like a robot playing swing.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

Exactly.

MadMelMon likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

Regarding Tom Waits I can understand. I felt the same way and like the same things you mentioned. I didn't get Tom Waits until Bone Machine in 1996. It's not anything like his earlier work yet it opened the door for me to go back and rehear things like The Heart Of Saturday Night and move forward with his work also.