The Who 50th Anniversary Tour: 2014-2017 and more! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Roger did a complete Tommy tour in 2011.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I know. Roger, however, at least while Pete is still alive, is not The Who. :)

3. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Will the greatest hits part be acoustic too though, or just Tommy?

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Isn't Tommy the album largely acoustic based?

5. dee

dee Senior Member

That's the irony here a little bit. One of the reasons it has lasted so long as a classic piece of work to me is how the studio album blends acoustic and electric parts together. I think that's accomplished through some of the overdubs. An acoustic only presentation of the songs themselves on stage I am more skeptical of. I suppose if Christmas, Sensation, Go To The Mirror, and Welcome are done, those would intrigue me most. "Sally Simpson" would seem an obvious one to do.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Who'sTommy and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

Was wondering the same. I think it might be more interesting I mean entertaining if indeed the greatest hits part was electric. Perhaps the acoustic nature then of the Tommy section would stand out more in a unique way?

Gersh and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I agree.

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm now rethinking wether to go to the Arena Tommy shows again!!!.........as it now appears only the 2 RAH shows will feature the full version of the album and the rest of the UK shows get a shortened version.......so that's the usual selection of AJ/Sparks/PW/SMFM from the GH tour!

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I do enjoy Pete playing and singing "I'm a Sensation".

dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Yes, I think that is true. For a long time I thought one of the weaknesses of the album was that it bore no relation to what the band sounded like on stage. It was, in other words, far too restrained, and I relished the parts of the album where it sounded like they had decided to crank the guitar ("I'm Free"). However, as you point out, its restraint---of which the acoustic overdubs are an important part----is now part of its longevity and charm. I'm not sure I'd line up to see an unplugged version on stage, though.

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Out of interest, who said the other UK gigs would not feature the whole Tommy?

12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

And if that's the case, why move the dates to next year and stuff around many ticket holders?!

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Richard Evans at the official site posted a statement there stating such.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Rumour has it ticket sales have been poor.
    Fans are disgruntled at the on going greatest hits type tour,so the band and management have re thought their plans.

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Rethought their plans? How about stopping The Who which was the assumed plan all along?

Bonddm likes this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yeah, the (supposed) farewell tour that started in 2014!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

It's amazing how unambitious "The Who" are live. Tommy again? Why not Sell Out in full or Who's Next (with Entwistle on video for My Wife) or both, surely their dwindling fanbase would be more interested in stuff they haven't done before.

ajsmith and vitorbastos123 like this.
  18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have to admit I have always wished they would do a Lifehouse show. Even if not presented as a concept a 'Songs from Lifehouse' would have been good. I went to Pete's Lifehouse show at Sadlers Wells in 2000 and enjoyed it very much but hoped it would lead to a Who version.

However as I have never heard them do Tommy live in it's entirety I am glad they are doing this. In fact i think i am right in saying they have never actually performed Tommy in it's entirety.

As for the idea that it is acoustic I would be surprised if is completely acoustic. I suspect it will re-create the sound of the album. And there are enough keyboard players in the current band to get the Hammond organ sound!

Quadboy likes this.
  19. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I thought that Pete had planned to do more electric guitar overdubs, but they ran out of time and/or money, so they released what they had at that point.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

At this rate, we might get a 50th anniversary "Endless Wire" tour! ;)

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, I think that is what he said in the 2003? interview with Matt Kent? that was included in the Tommy DVD-A 2 disc version, iirc? Sorry, I sort of misphrased an earlier post implying that the overdubs themselves were somehow only acoustic ones. I wasn't really clear on that specific point. Was more focused on thinking of the mix and blend of the electric and acoustic music in general in the final mix.

22. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I'm there!!

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  23. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Way too many keyboard players in the current band, and one unnecessary guitarist.

Matthew Tate and vitorbastos123 like this.
  24. felipezorro

felipezorro Forum Resident

Uncut magazine June 2015:

Uncut: But if this is the final tour on this scale, what do you see as being the next incarnation of The Who live? Smaller shows..? Acoustic shows..?

Peter: Oh, ****ing God forbid! Roger often sidles up to me and says, "I think Tommy would be so great done acoustic." I reply, "So what you're saying, Rog, is that you want me to sit for an hour and a half and accompany you on my acoustic guitar? For an hour and a half, while you noodle around on vocals? There's a quick '**** off!' to that idea."

Bonddm likes this.
  25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Amazing what poor ticket sales can do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.