Affordable options for shipping lps to Europe from USA?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by riverrat, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

Just tried to complete a sale and the least expensive option I found to ship an LP was $22.50 via USPS. Is that the extent of my options? Was trying to ship from Oregon to France.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Pretty much, that's about right for First Class Parcel in a decent mailer, assuming you handle any necessary insurance options yourself.

Gumboo likes this.
  3. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

USPS is your ONLY affordable option. Don't even bother going anywhere else as you will be wasting your time.

Gumboo likes this.
  4. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks folks. I think I am just going to limit my sales to the US going forward.

5. Hax128

Hax128 New Member

US mail is a massive ripoff for international buyers since the 2013 price increase. Unless the buyer is willing to fork 23-35$ to ship 1 record, they are likely to spend more on shipping compared to the price if the record. You should put a disclaimer on your profile and seller terms that the international shipping costs are outrageous if you intend to still offer your service to non-US buyers.

6. R. Totale

The 2013 price increases did seem steep, but they brought US->Europe airmail pretty much in line with what they were already paying over there for Europe->US, so they were used to it. Doing away with outbound surface mail from the US was a bigger blow.

7. Billion$Baby

Compared to who is it a ripoff?? Why don't you try UPS or FEDEX and see what they charge. USPS will look like a bargain.

It cost a seller in the UK about $130 to send me a couple of Gold Records....I can send the same to him for less than $100 going Priority Mail. You've been spoiled WAAAAY Too long. If USPS is making so much money how come they are losing 5 Billion Dollars a year?? Stop whining

8. R. Totale

The answer to that skirts violating forum rules on politics, but it has nothing to do with their rates.

9. Billion$Baby

Politics has NOTHING to do with the rates that the AIRLINES charge the Post office to move their packages. Obviously you have no idea how postage rates are factored in on foreign bound packages (Or the method they are sent). YOU are referring to the price of First Class stamps ONLY which has nothing to do with your griping. Prices for Foreign packages are going to keep going up for the simple reason that less people are flying Overseas due to terrorist activities in the near term. The Airlines will keep jacking up the rates on the Post office to keep their shareholders happy and show a profit somewhere on their books. Any other misconceptions you want answered in regards to the post office??

10. R. Totale

No, it's not the airlines. The Post Office would not be losing money every year if the Republican Congress had not passed a law in 2006 requiring them to pre-fund employee health insurance and pension plans for the next 75 years (that is, covering employees not yet born). Your company whatever it is doesn't have to do that, but small-gov zealots in Congress probably aren't looking to privatize and break up your company. I apologize if that comes too close to politics for here, but it's a fact and you can look it up. The required yearly payment mirrors the losses last year,

zongo and Jimi Bat like this.
  11. Billion$Baby

I worked at the post office and I know how rates are determined on Foreign packages. Your totally off base in that regard and going off on a whole different topic than what you started with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.