Sisters of Mercy: FIrst Last and Always Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Hopefully it's at least 24bit...

2. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

The new Vision Thing with bonus material is available at Qobuz for EUR 10,39 in 16/44. This one should be sufficient.

3. Krzych

This material was already released on CD in 2007 as a part of Merciful Release box.

Stuart S and Jimmy Agates like this.
  4. Krzych

DR numbers for 2016 release:
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /The Sisters Of Mercy/Vision Thing LP
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR        Peak        RMS        Filename

DR10        -0.94 dB     -12.01 dB     01-Vision Thing.m4a
    DR11        -0.95 dB     -13.62 dB     02-Ribbons.m4a
    DR12        -0.94 dB     -14.09 dB     03-Detonation Boulevard.m4a
    DR13        -0.95 dB     -16.94 dB     04-Something Fast.m4a
    DR12        -0.88 dB     -13.54 dB     05-When You Don't See Me.m4a
    DR12        -0.93 dB     -13.26 dB     06-Doctor Jeep.m4a
    DR10        -0.97 dB     -14.38 dB     07-More.m4a
    DR14        -0.96 dB     -16.22 dB     08-I Was Wrong.m4a
    DR8        -0.97 dB     -11.13 dB     09-More.m4a
    DR10        -0.97 dB     -11.53 dB     10-You Could Be The One.m4a
    DR8        -0.95 dB     -10.30 dB     11-Doctor Jeep.m4a
    DR8        -0.99 dB     -10.19 dB     12-Knocking On Heaven's Door.m4a
    DR9        -0.97 dB     -11.36 dB     13-When You Don't See Me.m4a
    DR12        -0.99 dB     -16.84 dB     14-Ribbons.m4a
    DR10        -0.98 dB     -13.54 dB     15-Something Fast.m4a

Number of files:    15
    Official DR value:    DR11

==============================================================================================

5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

So, at the risk of ruining whatever street cred I have on this forum, can someone please explain to me what this spectrum analysis is telling us?

mdm08033, oldturkey and Paully like this.
  6. Limopard

No content above 20 khz. Thus a sampling rate above 48 khz is a waste of space.

sathvyre, mdm08033 and Runicen like this.
  7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Many thanks! :D

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha! I don't understand these things either. Although I NEVER would admit that;)

CaptainFeedback1, Paully and Runicen like this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Yes, but these high-res downloads have been recently remastered. The original Vision Thing CDs are good (the Elektra is the best sounding), but as the Sisters are my favourite band I'm getting the high res downloads :)

c-eling and Krzych like this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Weird. Why compress some of the bonus tracks?!

11. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

My guess -- and it is purely a guess -- maybe the original tapes were too quiet. Like "1959" on the original release of Floodland. Probably done to create a more level mix, song to song.

12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Hmm... Didn't seem a problem for Rhino 10 years ago!

Album details - Dynamic Range Database ยป

13. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Does this most recent remaster actually sound audibly different/better than the original release and the 2006 remaster?

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Don't know, haven't heard it yet :D

15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I went with the 24/96 album only download from HD Tracks. More only downloads 1 minute of music and I Was Wrong fails every time. I've contacted them for help...

16. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

So is this one the new mastering or is it identical to the expanded version from 2006?

17. Limopard

The mastering is not identical to the 2006 remaster, it's a bit bassier and less bright. But the difference is smaller than on "Floodland" (not to speak of "First And Last And Always").

Furthermore, VT is (imho) the musically least rewarding Sisters album. But on the other hand - "I Was Wrong" is probably one of the greatest songs Eldritch wrote. Until now, at least.

Marc 74 likes this.
  18. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Okay,thanks. Guess i'll give it a try.

19. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

I like this better than I remembered . Been a great reissue program

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've now listened to the new vinyl and high resolution remaster once through. Here are my subjective listening notes, written whilst the album was playing:

I haven't listened to the bonus singles yet, though they appear to have been unnecessarily brickwalled on the download and - out of principle - I would never recommend a brickwalled master when a dynamic alternative is available. Thankfully, the album proper survives unscathed and is as dynamic as ever.

I chose Something Fast as a control track to test against other editions. Here are my subjective listening impressions:
    Having listened to all of those, my current impression is that the 2016 high-resolution remaster just edges it to first place thanks to its better translation of low level detail, but the USA CD remains a force to be reckoned with!

The new vinyl pressing is well presented in a nice looking box, the quality of the vinyl is 9/10 with only a rare click or pop. The vinyl was "mastered from the original production tapes by Ray Staff" and I expect the high-res download was too. Ray Staff mastered the original vinyl pressing at The Exchange in 1990 (Eldritch was a fan, it would seem). Interestingly, the high-resolution download has a noticeably similar EQ curve to my 1990 vinyl needledrop. My suspicion is that the original vinyl was cut from a tape copy of the digital master, and that tape copy (or perhaps Ray's vinyl production master) was used as the source for these new remasters. That would explain the similar EQ curve between the 2016 download and 1990 needledrop (noticeably different to the other CD curves).

I don't play Vision Thing often enough. I've had great fun this evening listening to the album on various pressings and going back and forth! The box set is highly recommended for anyone looking to fill gaps in their collection. Perhaps, most importantly, the quality of 2016 vinyl is much better than 1990 vinyl. That alone makes it a worthwhile purchase to the vinyl collector. I wholeheartedly recommend the 24/96 album download, but would be wary of the bonus tracks.

:D

Plan9, Runicen, dragpeace and 5 others like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks as always Robert for your reviews on these :)

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OK. I'm going to pick up the next 1990 vinyl copy I come across. Haven't heard this in AGES. Thank you!!!

mdm08033 likes this.
  23. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Many thanks from me, too, for the detailed VT review. Having never bothered to pick up the 1990 US CD, I'm a bit puzzled at the different mix it has compared to the EU CD, apparently. I am familiar with this phenomenon through some of my favourite 60's bands, but never expected this with my least favourite Sisters album. Can anybody explain this?

shaboo likes this.
  24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

There is only 1 mix of Vision Thing for the World. Mastering differs however.

25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thank you for the detailed review. I only have my original USA CD and I was always impressed with the SQ. I guess my ears were right.

c-eling and Robert C like this.