My first LOMC: Denon DL-103

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I finally gave in and accepted that my preferred Grado cartridges are not able to provide their best on my Jelco SA-750D, which is said to be a high-mass arm. This became undeniable to me when I brought my marcmorinified AR upstairs and hooked it up to the main system alongside the Thorens, and was rewarded with the most awe-inspiring bloom and depth from the same Grado cartridge (a Signature 8MR).

Rather than become frustrated, I took this as an opportunity for a new hifi adventure. I keep reading about how the Denon DL-103 is an ideal match for the Jelco, and had been interested in checking out the DL-103 even before getting the Jelco; I figure that any product that's been around for 50+ years must be pretty good, right? Everything I've read about it indicated that it would be a good fit for my preferences.

I went hunting on eBay and found a seller with a stash of brand new DL-103's for just $165 that he supposedly bought from a hifi store that was closing.

I also needed an SUT to use with the MM inputs on my '59 Fisher X-100 and found one made/sold by "tubesrus" on eBay, built around Shure/ADC transformers. What I liked about this particular SUT is the higher than usual gain (1:33) - which I rightly figured would be a good match for an old tube amp designed for the high-output carts of the '50s - and the inclusion of a variable loading adjustment control, eliminating the need for loading plugs and greatly simplifying things.

So, for a total investment of about $300, I was all set.

SUT specs:

• High quality gold plated input and output RCA jacks With Gold grounding Lug.
      • Perfect for the Denon DL-103, Set load control to about 9AM for 100 ohm load.
      • Heavy duty construction Power Coated Cast Aluminum Case.
      • Step up measures (33 to 1) 5 mv input signal gives about 165 mv output signal.
      • Frequency response measures 25hz to 85,000 hz. Plus or Minus Zero DB! (Minus 0.5 DB @ 10hz and 90,000 hz).
      • Extreme wide bandwidth, High signal overload capability for Extra Head room.
      • Cartridge Loading control for a perfect match.
      • Inside picture shows high performance "Shure" made by ADC transformers

After getting everything set up last night, I gave my first LP a spin. My immediate impression was the soundstage was a bit 2D and it was rather lean/forward, but I also knew it needs around 25 hours to break in.

By the second LP, the lower octaves began filling in and it smoothed out quite a bit, and after the third or fourth LP, I decided to back off on the VTF from 2.75g to 2.5g (as measured with a Shure SFG-2 teeter totter scale). Immediately the imaging snapped into place and things started swingin'.

Using a MC on my TD-124 was something of a concern due to the ferrous iron platter potentially causing problems with the magnets inside the cartridge. Many have successfully used DL-103's on these tables, so I expected it would be OK, but I was still cautious. With the stylus guard in place, I checked for magnetic pull and there was some, but not very powerful. From my forum searches I learned that the magnetic pull adds approximately .5g of "weight" to the VTF, which needs to be factored in. This is why I used my teeter totter scale instead of my digital scale; I thought the Denon would have a better chance of "seeing" the magnetic pull from the platter on that one. (Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.)

Incidentally I also installed a 3g headshell insert plate to get the effective mass of the arm + cartridge up to around 25g total, which is right in the sweet spot for the DL-103.

So, with maybe 4-5 hours on it, my current impression of the DL-103 is very good! To my ears it sounds very neutral/flat, which is borne out by the individual test graph sheet that was included with it. Very well-balanced, with no obvious coloration that I can detect. Tracking is fine, and it has that nice airy sound that MCs are known for. Elements in the mix are well defined and clear. It manages to be simultaneously warm, smooth and lively, which is a winning combination in my book.

I look forward to seeing how it evolves after fully breaking in, but so far I am very pleased by what I'm hearing. At some point in the future I might experiment with all of the popular mods - aluminum/wood bodies, re-tipping with non-conical, etc. - but I first need to become familiar with it in its stock form.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

For as long as I can remember theDL-103 has been the great all around MC cartridge hiding in the shadows as one esoteric choice after another takes center stage. It's a classic and it's staying power is all the testimony you need.

Nice setup by the way.

action pact likes this.
  3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

This is a very nice description of the sound, Actionpact! My DL-110 has more of a colored sound to it, so that inferior recordings sound a tad better than on the DL-103, but with good source material, the DL-103 just brought out the best in every way. And you're right about the digital scale: mine was seriously off when I put the 103 on my Thorens TD-150mkii (not a good match but it sort of worked). Currently, I'm using it as a mono rig.

I hate to be vain but the DL-103 looks super bad ass on that Jelco.

action pact likes this.
  4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

SUT with variable loading control?

SWEET!

On_the_dunes, nm_west and action pact like this.
  5. action pact

:edthumbs:

I know, right? It was a no-brainer choice, especially for around $150 shipped!

33na3rd likes this.
  6. action pact

Someone asked me offline if I had considered the DL-103R. I went with the original version for several reasons:

1.) The 103R is often described as "brighter" and "more forward," which doesn't appeal to me.
    2.) I wanted to experience the original 1963 design before trying any revised versions.
    3.) I was able to get it at such a low price vs. the 103R!

7. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Sweet spot for tracking should be right around 2.6 grams. Less and the cartridge should sound a bit thin, more and it will become a bit muddy.

At around 15-20 hours you'll notice a big improvement in bass and smoothness. Out of the box the cartridge will be a bit steely and thin.

So you are in for a treat once you hit that 15-20 hour mark.

action pact likes this.
  8. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Maybe not a fair comparison, but I've had no problem with my Grado Statement Master on my SA-750D. I did the compliance math, and it seemed to be an OK match. Perhaps the 8MR is much different.

Thanks for the review - I've been wanting to try a 103.

9. action pact

Oh, it works OK on the Jelco - especially once I got a lightweight Yamamoto headshell to reduce the mass.

But I can hear much more of what it's capable of after moving it over to my '64 AR-TX, which was substantially upgraded (and Grado-optimized) by Marc Morin.

I'm getting much more bloom and 3D imaging from the Grado on the AR. On the Thorens/Jelco, it sounded fine, but was comparatively harder sounding, with not as much texture.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great catridge, I had one for many years and I still keep an unused one for the future. The only drawback that I found was with soundstage, especially the sense of stage depth which was missing in action. But if someone does not play a lot of jazz or classical LPs DL -103 is a very nice LOMC.

11. action pact

It certainly can't compare to my Grados in this regard, but the imaging depth improved after I backed off the VTF and antiskate slightly.

5-String likes this.
  12. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Hmmm - makes me wonder if I'm missing something w/ my Grado Woody/Jelco combo. I'm using the stock headshell.

13. action pact

I initially used the Grado with the stock headshell, which made it sound rather dark. Switching to the lighter headshell (6g IIRC) helped open it up quite a bit... but it still sounds better on the lighter AR arm with the mass-loaded suspension and upgraded bearings.

14. action pact

I spent quite a few more hours listening last night, and have some '60s Jazz Crusaders spinnin' on the deck now (from before they went fusion!), and I still feel fairly confident that the transformer is set correctly. At least, it sounds "right" to me. I like to think that I have a pretty astute ear, and I am not hearing anything off-kilter with the tonal balance. The highs are crisp and defined without being sharp, the mids are transparent and rich, and the bass on the Tijuana Brass (!!) LP I was swingin' to last night went down to the basement.

The DL-103 is continuing to break in and improve, and I have been enjoying it thoroughly. I'm noticing that the bass is revealing itself more and the imaging is taking on more and more depth and spaciousness. One of the DL-103's great strengths is it has a lively snap to it, but yet isn't at all forward-sounding. Warm-ish, yet not especially laid back. That's a pretty good balancing act.

As previously noted, this is the first LOMC I've had here, and my observation is it's like kind of like putting a magnifying glass on the groove and dialing in the focus. Fortunately the rest of my system seems to be up to the challenge. I had concerns going into this that a LOMC would reveal previously undetected rumble from my TD-124, but to my relief the backgrounds are still just as quiet as before.

15. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

:righton:

'!!' :laugh:

I could never warm up to this group, however, Herb Alpert is a really interesting guy, with a depth in the music industry few have. There's a great interview with him on Marc Maron's 'WTF' show, from last year sometime. Worthwhile for anyone interested in 'the biz'.

action pact likes this.
  16. action pact

The TJB rules, dude! Get with it! :laugh:

Jim in Houston likes this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Welcome to LOMC world! We've been waiting for you to join us. :)

The 103 has a tremendous following amongst our heavy-armed idler brothers, and while I like it I think its just a tad overrated. Which is to say I probably just prefer a sightly more "modern" presentation. Most LOMC's today are higher compliance, but your 9" Jelco is probably a little easier to match then the various 12" clubs I've used that are basically for 103s and SPUs and nothing else. An OC9/ii would probably work with the wood headshell, and even as the price creeps up is still one of the best deals in phonography IMO.

A note on the 103R - I've never heard the stock one, but I own a Zu-bodied version with a soundsmith elliptical stylus. I don't think its bright/forward at all. I think it gets that impression because side by side with the normal 103 there's just a little more detail retrieval, what I allude to above as a modern sounding.

action pact likes this.
  18. action pact

That does match other comments that I've read, namely that the "R" isn't truly more forward, it's just more extended.

19. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

...congrats a.p.
    ....glad you are enjoying the set-up.

Nothing but MC here....DL301MKII and Benz Micro Gold.....love both.

action pact likes this.
  20. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I've bought a bit of TJB over the years but unfortunately even the stuff that looked pretty good was always a bit chewed up, probably from less than stellar 60's setups.

Got lucky a few weeks ago at the thrift though and scored a mint, virtually unplayed by the look of it "Going Places" in shrink. Lots of fun for a buck and a pretty strong record from beginning to end! I'm spinning it right now again with your power of suggestion haha!

:agree:

Glad you are enjoying the 103!

action pact likes this.
  21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've always wanted the 103 this thread certainly doesn't help. Will be enjoying reading it and your outcome.

action pact likes this.
  22. action pact

Assuming you have MC capability already, the cost of entry is not high at all! Of course, having a compatible arm might also be an issue.

I spent a few more hours listening yesterday, and I can definitely hear it opening up more and more with each session. This has been a wise purchase!

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Follow the prices on Amazon for a while and you'll find good deals. I think I got mine for $150 out the door.

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No I would need the SUT. I keep flipflopping on the one hand I want the Zu @500 and possibly the Bobs D which is 1k but that is a huge chunk of cash. I may go your route and call it a day -much more reasonable. I also keep thinking about a MC style preamp but that also is about 2k.

Lots of things stand in the way of the 103.

I'd also like to build my own SUT or phono.

Complications.

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.