Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Are those WB ICONS sets to be trusted?

I stumble across them from time to time on spotify, and I see y'all mentioning them. I saw a Segovia one from which I might sample a few Bach tunes later this afternoon.

2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Formerly the EMI Icon series, I think they're generally pretty good soundwise, but they have a bad track record on completeness. I know the William Steinberg box was nearly but not complete, for instance, with a few baffling omissions.

Scopitone likes this.
  3. Scopitone

I didn't even realize they were meant to be "Complete". The ones I have seen just look like compilations.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Trusted in what way?

I saw some evidence of digital compression (limiting) on some of the tracks on the Lipatti set.

For historical stuff, like the Schnabel set, the mastering is sub-par at best. Remember, the WB sets were put out originally by EMI. And other than the Art and Son stuff (Cortot, Cziffra, Nat, Francois (NOT the Icon sets)), EMI is poor at mastering historical stuff.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This conversation has been confusing. WarnerMusic had owned TelDec for some times even before it acquired EMI. As such, it now has access to both TelDec and EMI recordings. It can mix and match these Richter's recordings in any which way it desires ...

6. Scopitone

"Trusted" to provide at least a general decent sound and decent performances.

That's a good tip about EMI and historical stuff. I like vintage recordings, so I will watch out for theirs.

7. coopmv

I just got the Lipatti set but have yet to open the box. Are you delivering some bad news to me? ;)

8. Scopitone

I don't stress as much about audiophile as most members of this forum, simply because my equipment isn't up to the level where it really matters. But I still like to know about sound quality because it can inform my selections -- especially on classical, where you have the same piece recorded lots of times. So I am glad you guys go into it. :righton:

9. George P

I don't think the Lipatti ICON set sounds terrible, but I opted for the earlier EMI set for Lipatti, as it does not have the compression found on the EMI set.

10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing Dvorak String Quintet in G major. A Crossroads LP.

[​IMG]

Marzz, royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  11. coopmv

Most of us here listen to our music on physical media. I for one am absolutely clueless as to what is the best way to listen to lossless streamed music and if the quality of the audio equipments even matter ...

geralmar and Scopitone like this.
  12. Scopitone

Streaming now on spotify:

[​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, ToddBD and 5 others like this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Beethoven Sonatas 31 & 32, Wilhelm Kempff, Piano, on DGG Tulips LP from 1960.

[​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, ToddBD and 6 others like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now disc 1 from this box: Sviatoslav Richter - The 100th Anniversary Collection - 50 CDs, Melodiya (2nd edition); Schubert: Piano Sonata 21, D.960; Schubert/Liszt: Erlkönig, S.558/4; Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition

[​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

IMO, yes. :)

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Very psychedelic! BTW I love how your tonearm looks at the picture!

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I hadn't listened to this set until now and I immensely enjoyed the first disc.

Marzz likes this.
  18. George P

:thumbsup:

19. Scopitone

After the first two acts of La Boheme, following along with the libretto, I am going to take an opera break.

Playing some Bach guitar pieces off the Andres Segovia ICON set. I don't know how long it's been since I listened to any classical guitar. Probably all y'all's Lute albums the last day or two which put me in mind of it.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Scopitone

Whenever I hear classical guitar, I always think of Ralph Macchio using his mad classical guitar skills to beat Steve Vai's heavy metal in the BLUES guitar duel in Crossroads.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes--Crossroads had some very amusing covers. You almost expect to see the Yellow Submarine come floating by in this one!

The reason I sometimes include part of the turntable is so the record label is visible. Some find that of interest. That Empire tonearm just adds a dash of classic turntable art. ;)

Marzz, Byrdsmaniac, canzld and 3 others like this.
  22. Scopitone

23. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - Encores: works by Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Khachaturian, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert and de Falla from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  24. coopmv

:edthumbs:

Wes H likes this.
  25. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I can't wait for the rest of these "Under Stalin's Shadow" releases. I really love the 5/8/9 and 10 - performance and recording quality are great to my ears. Any idea when 6 and 7 will come out?