Sharknado: The 4th Awakens (July 31 on SyFy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by keefer1970, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer! Thread Starter

SyFy will indeed be running a marathon of the previous three Sharknado flicks on Sunday, leading up to the premiere of "4." I believe it starts at 2 PM (EST), but check your local listings, as the saying goes.

2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I know you're scared. I'm scared too. They're sharks. They're scary.

keefer1970 and rockclassics like this.
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Somebody with decent brain and good ideas needs to run sci fi
    as it was .. not this dreck that won't go away..
    Or flush the whole channel which ever works..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to catch 20 minutes of Atomic Shark recently. Instant classic.

rockclassics likes this.
  5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Ozark Sharks was on the other day. I guess anything that rhymes with Shark gets a movie. It featured sharks shooting fireworks out of their mouths.

rockclassics and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

They should START each of these shark fests with a video of Fonzie water-skiing.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe he'll do a cameo in "Sharknado 5: Sit On It". :)

John54, rswitzer and neo123 like this.
  8. keefer1970

Here's the "S4" review I posted on Letterboxd last night:

SyFy's favorite campy schlock franchise is back for a 4th go-round and it's goofier than the previous three installments combined. Earth has been peaceful and Sharknado-free for five years thanks to new weather control technology, and the heroic Finn (Ian Ziering) has been living the quiet life in Kansas with his young son. However, he gets called back into action when a new set of shark-filled storms - including a fire-nado, a boulder-nado, and a nuclear-nado (!) start popping up all across the U.S. and threatening life as we know it.

At this point the Sharknado crew isn't even trying to make a "serious" film anymore - this is just a series of cartoonish action sequences glued together with cheap CGI, blink-and-you'll-miss-em D-list celebrity cameos (incl. Duane "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman, Carrot Top, Gilbert Gottfried, Stacey Dash, and Vince Neil) and nods to "Star Wars," "The Terminator," and "The Wizard of Oz." In other words... it's a big overstuffed what-the-f@#$ sandwich. It's hilarious if you're in the right frame of mind for it, but if you're not already a fan of the series, you don't need to bother.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Were they ever? :)

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Great stuff.

FRanchise has some teeth.

I smell an Emmy.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I agree. And the action/ goofiness begins right from the start and doesn't let up. At one point I actually thought that this was a little too goofy even for the Sharknado franchise and a bit too long - I would have edited it down to 90 minutes from two hours. But I watched all the way through anyways and enjoyed it. It's a once a year, summer tradition now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Humbuster and keefer1970 like this.
  12. keefer1970

Haha, good point. Though after re-visiting the original over the weekend, it seemed like it was at least trying to be a straight-faced, sort-of serious disaster flick (or, as serious as you can get on a SyFy budget anyway). The 2nd one was where things started getting silly with all the celebrity cameos and so on. Now they're stuck trying to out-do themselves with each new installment.

I liked "4" better than "3."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.