Audio Fidelity to release Leon Russell And The Shelter People

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon A, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

One of my all time faves - I'll be snagging this one for sure.

Had a copy a while back that was stolen out of my car (along with 99 other CDs handily placed for a thief in one of those big CD cases), before the iPod era. Grrr...

2. I've read it in a couple of Clapton books over the years. Not everything is on the internet, maybe this actually is. I've never checked. The only time Clapton showed up on stage in '72 was at the Rainbow and Leon had called him out to jam and they had a guitar duel. Leon wiped him up and Clapton took off and they were on the outs till Radle and Oldecker arranged for Leon and Mary to show up at a rehearsal in '74 and see Clapton and he wanted them to jam with the band. Also Clapton and George played just about all the guitar on Leon's Blue Album too. Uncredited of course

3. Clapton and Harrison weren't credited on the Blue Album either. There's a lot of stuff on both albums not credited to the actual participants. Just because it lists on a album don't believe it. The Rolling Stones are a perfect example as well

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

*Nobody* is credited on s/t. Yet Clapton and Harrison *are* mentioned in the dedication. Clapton apparently played on Delta Lady, Prince of Peace, Hurtsome Body, Roll Away The Stone, The New Sweet Home Chicago, and Jammin' With Eric.

On the other hand, Shelter People explicitly credits the artists mentioned. Additionally, the Del Rack Delta Lady CD has credits for each song, and the credits for Beware of Darkness match those listed on Shelter People.

As far as books go, Marc Roberty's Day By Day has no listing for the August 1970 session.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The point is, there's a lot to directly point to Eric *not* playing on those tracks and very little to point to him playing on them.

8. In your opinion. I will side on what I read and from actually listening to the track. By the way, Radle and Gordon are on the track as well, and only a few short months later they were officially "Derek and The Dominos", so all of it is certainly feasible and I prefer to look at things that way

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They were already in Derek and the Dominos.

Regardless, yes, it's definitely feasible that Clapton could have played on those tracks. But unlikely when there's no credit or mention of him on the album, no listing on the session sheets, etc. Also, it's worth noting that while those 3 tracks would have been unique for Jim Gordon, Carl Radle played bass on all but two songs on the album (She Smiles Like A River and The Ballad of Mad Dogs and Englishmen). Making it less unusual that he (and Gordon) would be playing that session but not Clapton.

10. They already were? They didn't record till June 1970. The Island Leon sessions were April 1970. So, you are saying they were already a group, then the weights tip in my favour then. And once again, George and Clapton could not be credited on the records because of contractual problems, just like Clapton couldn't be listed on All Things Must Pass. And I Know Radle played on most of the album he was in Leon's band. No session sheets from any of Leon's sessions have ever come to light, so I don't understand the point there

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Leon sessions were August 23-26, 1970.

DCC controlled Leon's catalog for a few years, and Steve had access to session sheets and multitrack tapes. Beware of Darkness was remixed from the multitrack on the Delta Lady CD. The credits are the same as they are on Shelter People. On the other hand, Delta Lady was also remixed, and it explicitly credits:

George Harrison: Leslie guitar
    Ringo Starr: drums
    Eric Clapton: guitar
    Bill Wyman: bass
    Steve Winwood: organ
    Featuring: Chris Stainton, Bonnie Bramlett, Clydie King and Merry Clayton

So clearly contractual problems were not a concern for that CD.

12. We are not talking about Beware of Darkness. We are talking about Alcatraz, did you realize that?

Do you realize the DCC Gold disc of the Blue Album has no personnel listings, as does the Right Stuff CD which used the Hoffman remaster?

Do you realize the credits on The Shelter People Right Stuff CD which used the Hoffman remasters has the same credits as the LP?

So if there are no contractual problems, then why were the credits not revised.

And finally, just because the credits to Beware of Darkness match those on the album, it does not mean they are the same as Alcatraz.

Since the core line up of the Dominos, minus George recorded a session for P.P. Arnold in May of 1970, and recorded their first single with George in June of 1970, it is not far fetched that they played on Alcatraz in late April of 1970

13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Leon sure loves Bob.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That was first mentioned in this thread, but other references on the Internet and in books indicate Clapton played on both songs.

I didn't say there were no contractual problems in general. I said they weren't a concern for the Delta Lady CD.

Alcatraz was recorded in August along with Beware of Darkness and Home Sweet Oklahoma.

Is it possible that Clapton played on Alcatraz and not Beware of Darkness? Yes. But again, there was no mention of Clapton on the session documentation.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I just want to know why Audio Fidelity puts some of their SACDs out in stereo-only and others in Quad ...

I'm assuming this new Leon Russell disc is a steep-only affair, right?

16. Yes, August. I don't know why I was thinking April through all of that. Leon handled the guitar on all three tracks, but Alcatraz is a completely different animal than Darkness and Oklahoma, and when you have two Dominos there, and Leon and Clapton were still buddies at the time and Clapton played on the Blue Album, then I think a high probability is yes, he played on it. There is a distinct interplay between the two channels and one sounds like Leon and the other Clapton and I feel sure it took place. Had I knew 15 or 20 years ago there would be a internet and everyone "had" to quote a source, you bet I woulda wrote all the books down I read. Just because there is no reference you can easily quote, does not mean one did not read it and it didn't happen. I have my opinion and you have yours. I remember what I read and it meshed with what I had always thought went on with the session. Believe me, if I remembered the source, I would direct you to it

17. With the way Leon talks on I think the bonus interview on "A Poem Is A Naked Person", he talks about how the quarter inch masters were just thrown anywhere and anyone could of took them. So if they were so haphazard with the masters, then who knows what happened to the session tapes- making a re-mix impossible.

There were no Shelter albums released in Quad.

This new one is a SACD stereo remaster and Redbook stereo remaster

rstamberg likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Steve had the session tapes and remixed several tracks for the aforementioned Delta Lady CD.

19. See, I never bought the Delta Lady CD, so I always forget about it. So, obviously as you said Hoffman had the Shelter People tapes and remixed some of the tracks, why is there not a surround remix on the SACD? That's interesting. I would love to have a remix of this one and Will O' The Wisp. I don't think there could be much done to Carney. I do love the 96 Hi-Rez remaster

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  20. Had I knew it had remixes I would of got it. I always say it in the distributor catalog and for the price it seemed like it was a budget best of

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

A great record I bought it when it came out, I was well into the Delany and Bonny, Joe Cocker, Clapton thing at the time.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Anyone got this cd yet ? Sound quality report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.