Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

Give Me Love is one of my all-time favorite George Harrison singles. It was also the first time that I realized George could play a slide guitar. I was eleven years old when this hit the airwaves. What a great summer that was if you were a budding Beatle fan like me.

I didn't care for Miss O'Dell at the time, but now it makes me smile whenever it comes up on my iPod shuffle!

theMess likes this.
  2. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Yeah, I know it definitely does and that's partially why it's too awkward. He just didn't care as much about them I guess-with some of these melodies and a few good lyrics, Paul could have had many more classics.

Okay, how about Jet/Mamunia? Both are interesting but "Jet" is just so strong.

George seemed to not release many singles during the Apple era, but once he left, he released 2 or 3 singles per album. I like all of his Apple singles as well-both sides.

slane likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Speaking of Miss O'Dell:
    Did George ever give a reason for why he recites Paul's old Liverpool phone number at the end of the song: Garston 6922?

[​IMG]

See 2:29 in the clip.

theMess likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

George also recites Paul's phone number at the end of the ALTERNATE (non-laughing) version of the song, so it must have meant something---BUT WHAT?:

Zeki and theMess like this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good spot! That is very strange. I wonder if Miss O'Dell told him that she fancied Paul, so as a joke he gave her his old phone number?

6. Arnold Grove

I have no idea. It would be typical of George's humor to add something funny like that, especially as an off-the-cuff joke. But to repeat it at the end of the Alternate version of the song makes it seem that George definitely had a reason for saying it.

I also wonder if he told Paul beforehand; or if Paul heard the song and was surprised to hear his old phone number recited at the end. I guess this is another question that we need to ask Paul....

Haristar and theMess like this.
  7. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Give him a call. GARston 6922.

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Ha! :D Good one.

9. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

George made another swipe at Paul on the "Living in the Material World" album - Paul left a message on the back cover of "Red Rose Speedway" urging people to join the "Wings Fan Club", and George and Ringo parodied this on their own albums urging people to join the "Jim Keltner Fan Club" instead.

ailgin and theMess like this.
  10. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I like "Give Me Love" a lot. It's a beautiful song with great lyrics and a wonderful message. It also sounds great. A big improvement over the Phil Spector wall of echo that was all over his previous singles. A well-deserved hit.

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah the production on material world is top notch and way better than ATMP. Too bad the same producer didn't also produce that one.

12. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

but if you listen to it..isn't he saying.."garstone 6902"?....instead of 6922?

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

No - it's '6 9 double 2'

14. Arnold Grove

Yep: 6 9 double 2 .

theMess and slane like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

I called that number. It was answered by a Ms Mills, and she said that she never heard of Paul McCartney. Oh well... ;)

16. slane

slane Forum Resident

The 'alternate' take is the regular version, but with a vocal overdub replacing the 'laughing' sections (you can hear the original vocal underneath).

Presumably, George 'corrected' the vocal, but in the end went with the original version with the laughing intact.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  17. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

Yes, by sending a 'Stamped Undressed Elephant'. More a gentle ribbing rather than a swipe I think.

18. Arnold Grove

Oh! Good catch. I'll need to relisten to both versions.

theMess likes this.
  19. Haristar

23. Paul McCartney and Wings - "Live and Let Die" (1973)

[​IMG]
    B-side: I Lie Around
    Released: 1 June 1973 (UK), 18 June 1973 (US)
    Charts: #9 (UK), #2 (US)

Even before Tom Mankiewicz had finished writing the screenplay to Live and Let Die, producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli invited Paul McCartney to write the theme song. McCartney asked to be sent a copy of Ian Fleming's novel. "I read it and thought it was pretty good. That afternoon I wrote the song and went in the next week and did it ... It was a job of work for me in a way because writing a song around a title like that's not the easiest thing going."[6]

Originally, producer Harry Saltzman was interested in having Shirley Bassey or Thelma Houston perform it instead of Wings.[1] Martin said McCartney would allow the song to be used in the movie only if Wings was able to perform the song in the opening credits. Saltzman, who had previously rejected the chance to produce A Hard Day's Night, decided not to make the same mistake twice and agreed. A second version of the song, performed by B. J. Arnau, also appears in the film. Arnau's performance originally was meant for the group Fifth Dimension.[7] The Arnau version of the song appears on the soundtrack album as a component in a medley that also contains two George Martin-composed instrumental pieces, "Fillet of Soul – New Orleans" and "Fillet of Soul – Harlem".

Wings recorded "Live and Let Die" during the sessions for the Red Rose Speedway album,[1] in October 1972.[8] The song was taped at A.I.R. Studios, with Ray Cooper providing percussion instruments.[9]

20. Haristar

I love how this one starts off like "Let it Be" by just having Paul and a piano, and then the orchestra comes crashing in. Also the greatest Bond theme song imo.

I'm not very familiar with "I Lie Around", but like most solo Beatles B-sides at the time it's pretty interesting and nothing at all like the A-side.

Zeki, Rojo, Johnny Reb and 1 other person like this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Also a message for Stevie Wonder in Braille.

theMess and Joao Carlos like this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Great song and one of the best Bond themes - would have Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever ahead of it.

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Also Paul doing a Bond theme opened it up in the mind of Alice Cooper who recorded the theme to the next movie and released it before the film, figuring they would be forced to use it. They were disappointed.

24. Joao Carlos

Joao Carlos Forum Resident

Great song and the middle part was Linda's idea (reggae). Don't know all the Bond songs but this one is the best that I've heard

Rojo, Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  25. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I have mixed feelings about Live and Let Die. One one hand, it's got the definitive orchestration of a Bond theme song mixed in with a high energy tune. It's catchy and fits the mood of the film perfectly. On the other hand, the lyrics sound like they were written in the span of about 2 minutes. It's basically one verse (employing the already-supplied turn of phrase "live and let live/live and let die", so that was effortless), and a bridge section.

There's the oft-misquoted line "and if this ever changing world in which we're living" as "and if this ever changing world in which we live in" that irritates the grammar police, so that's fun. But if the song didn't have the driving horns and strings section, it wouldn't add up to much.

I Lie Around is perfectly suited as a B-side. It's a pleasant track but not outstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.