OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

What size/sample rate should I make the dsf file?

2. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

Ouch....Roon is just too expensive for me. Can Jriver interact with Squeezebox?

3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I think that's a matter of opinion... I'm of the opinion that 24/88.2 is fine if you have to convert, but I recognize that other folks think higher is better.

My understanding is that the SqueezeBox classics downsample to 24/44.1 regardless. The Oppo will play anything up to 24/192 I believe.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. pscreed

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with JRiver although I know it's very popular. Hopefully another SqueezeFan can chime in... Those things opened my eyes to the digital revolution and that's for sure!

5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Jeez Gardo. Warning shmorning. You want to change layers on the fly? Turn Secondary Audio to ON. It's the only way to switch layers on the fly. And it wont hurt even a fly. I promise. Now lets all stop buggering around and do it.

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

The OPPO manual notes that "Some Blu-Ray Discs contain a secondary audio and video program, such as a director's commentary. Some Blu-Ray Discs have a sound effect when you make menu choices. This Setup Menu item allows you to decide whether to mix the Secondary Audio Program and menu sounds into the primary audio." It goes on to say that the setting is off by default: "This setting is recommended since it preserves the highest possible audio quality for the primary audio."

I have no desire to hear sound effects when I make menu choices. I can easily switch audio to hear a director's commentary. I want to hear my audio at the highest possible quality, one of the main reasons I bought the player. I listen to SACDs at full resolution 99% of the time. So that's why I've made the choice I've made. I'm happy you're happy with the choice you've made.

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I tried to change layers between SACD and CD with a hybrid SACD with Secondary Audio on and it doesn't work. I tried it with the SACD Priority set to CD and Stereo (SACD). No dice. What I find interesting is that with the SACD playing the Secondary Audio setting in the Audio Format Setup menu is grayed out. So this leads me to believe that the Secondary Audio setting has no relevance when playing an audio only disc. So I don't understand why it's making a difference for you when using the Audio button to change between layers on a stereo SACD.

I've tried this with both the 103 and 105D and it doesn't work with either player. Are there other settings that need to be set to a specific setting for this to work? Are you sure that it's changing from the CD layer to the SACD layer and not between stereo and multichannel layers? In all honesty I have no reason to do this as I'll always play the SACD layer over the CD layer. The only reason I can see to switch would be to compare the SQ of both layers.

I just sent this inquiry to Oppo support:

Hello,

I was wondering if there is the ability to change between the CD and SACD layers of a hybrid stereo SACD on the fly. I read online that an Oppo player owner (103 or 105D) can do this by using the Audio button. I tried this with both my 103 and 105D and it doesn't work. I can change between stereo and multichannel layers on the fly but not between layers on a hybrid stereo SACD. As always thank you for your time!

Bill

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    JediJoker likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just received a reply from Oppo on my inquiry about changing from the CD and SACD layers. It appears that this function is not available on the 103 and 105D. As always outstanding customer service from Oppo :)!

Bill,

You can change between the multi-channel and the stereo layer of the SACD, but you are not able to change to the CD layer on the fly. We had allowed for this in the previous generation of player, but we found some audio artifacts can occur because of this, so we removed this functionality.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.

HiFi Guy 008, Gardo, Myke and 5 others like this.
  9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Bill - thanks for checking on this.

I still have my 83 player, I'm curious to see if this feature is still enabled.

JediJoker likes this.
  10. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I must be remembering switching between layers on my 83, then, not the 103D.

11. pscreed

I dunno JJ I swear my 105 used to work that way. Maybe that functionality went away with a software update? It's no crisis to me I never would have noticed it except for this thread, but I think it used to work that way.

12. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Anyone know when the next firmware update is coming?

JediJoker likes this.
  13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Simon A likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Looks like one I can skip since I only play various discs in the old girl. :love:
    Interesting how specific problems like the A Walk In The Woods and Schindler's List BDs could be.
    Going on 4 years, and the honeymoon here continues.

Simon A likes this.
  15. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

I could use some advice. My first Oppo (103) is coming tomorrow and I can't wait to hear my high res files I've never been able to listen to.
    I'm a teacher with two kids so this was a heavy investment for me (I know I won't regret it!). But come the holidays I'd like to upgrade either mu speakers or receiver.
    I currently have a mid to low price range yamaha receiver (rx-v375) and 700 series Polk 7.2 (though I only currently use 3.1).
    Here's the question: which upgrade, speakers or receiver, will give me the most improved sound and, thus, the most enjoyment from my new Oppo.
    Thanks for any advice you have!

16. Speakers always play a bigger role in sound reproduction than the receiver.

17. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

18. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Almost always, speakers > receiver... but if you plan on playing DSD files or SACD its important to know you have a receiver that won't convert back to PCM.

19. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

If I'm reading the manual correctly it says "straight" mode should leave it alone - at least I'm hoping that is what it means. How will I know I'm hearing the Oppo's stream, unchanged?
    Thanks for the heads up:)

20. Dan Santoso

Dan Santoso New Member

Halo guys,

Ive been trying to find info bout ISO to DFF files conversion but I cant find the thread. Can someone help?

I have Oppo 105, what is the best way to play ISO SACD ? Do I need to convert first? If yes what is the best program to do it? Instruction will be helpful.

When you play DFF from NAS vs USB disk, which one has better SQ? I also heard you can play ISO with Jriver and NAS, is it true?

Thanks,
    Dan

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

For a mature product like the 103/105, a Beta firmware that adds no new features is typically exactly the same as an "official" one.

RolandG likes this.
  22. Gardo

You want the ISO2DVD app (technically, a GUI for sacd_extract). It'll do the conversion nicely. Here's a download page: Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD »

I'm ripping to ISO and then converting to DSF (not DFF, as my Fiio doesn't play DFFs consistently it seems).

23. Gardo

One more data point in the great SACD ripfest:

sacd_extract seems very CPU intensive. When I'm extracting DSF files from ISO, my CPU usage goes up to 100% and the CPU temperature goes up pretty high as well. No harm done, I guess, but something to keep in mind for marathon rip-and-extract sessions.

During the rip itself, done over my LAN, CPU usage goes up very, very slightly--a negligible increase.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  24. Dan Santoso

Dan Santoso New Member

Thanks I downloaded it already. Is it the only program available? I have window 10.

As far as playing DFF, what is the best way? HD/USB flash disk via USB back's slot?

25. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Question on conversion - when I use iso2dvd to convert iso to .dff, then dbpoweramp to convert to flac, will the resulting flac file have the same resolution as the if I were playing the sacd itself? When I converted one of my Beach Boys SACDs I got a 24/96 flac file - does that sound right?
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.