A Hard days Night on HULU

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yellowballoon, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

The Criterion Collection print of A Hard Days Night is streaming on Hulu.

Strummergas likes this.
  2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thanks for the tip.
    Will add this tonight.

Darryl

3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

What a shame AHDN wasn't filmed in color. The Beatles were the biggest act in the world in 1964. You would think theyd be worth a few thousand dollars extra for color film and processing .

t-man 54 likes this.
  4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Roger Ebert points out in the "Making of A Hard Day's Night" documentary, and I would tend to agree with him, that the film wouldn't be nearly as beloved or renown if it had been filmed in color (what he actually says in the doc is something like "if it had been filmed in color, we wouldn't be sitting here right now talking about it").

I actually would be fine seeing a colorization as an *alternate* way to see it, though. I'd probably always go back to the original B&W, but it would be a fun curio to see it in color.

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thank God it wasn't.

6. stereoguy

[QUOTE="chacha, post: 14757805,

How about explaining that comment?
    I think most Beatles fans would have far preferred to see the boys in color .

t-man 54 likes this.
  7. chacha

As someone who grew up with B&W, it feels more like truth to me than color does which is hard for me to explain. Perhaps it's more immediate to the subconscious, I don't know. Color in film rarely looks real to me, much as I love it when it's done right. Anyway, AHDN is absolute perfection in B&W. Plus we got to see The Fabs in color just a short time later in Help. Worked out perfectly.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

They were in the middle of the "two years" window for what was considered a short-term fad.

It was just fine in B&W.

Simon A and Mazzy like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Part of the film's classic status is that it wasn't in color. The suffocating 'documentary' style is perfect for the script.
    I don't think many others share your view.

10. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

The reason hard days night was in black and white and not color wasn't because of any artistic decision. United Artists thought at the time they were just a passing fad and didn't want to spend the extra money to make it a color film. I would like to see it in color if it was done right. I for one can't understand all the complaining about making it in color. It's not like your taking the master tape and tampering with it and cutting it up. You still have it available on blu ray and other versions. The black and white film is here to stay. Just would be nice to see it in color.

Matt Richardson and bababooey like this.
  11. Absolutely !

audiomixer and Simon A like this.
  12. chacha

I can't even fathom this. Dreadful idea.

Mazzy likes this.
  13. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I think it should have been filmed in "Green."

maclen and Mazzy like this.
  14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not THIS fan.
    Perhaps you'd better explain your comment.
    Actually...don't.

Disraeli Gears likes this.
  15. stereoguy

I'm really surprised at the comments glorifying the United Artists accountants decision that the Beatles weren't worth the expense of color film.

If you enjoy drab black and white by all means continue to praise UA for being cheap. Myself, I have two eyes that see the world in color.

bababooey likes this.
  16. stereoguy

I would disagree. The many outdoor scenes, such as Ringos incredible "hangover " scene would have benefitted
    Greatly from color. This was not a Dark story like a WW2 prisoner of war movie or a Raging Bull where the absence of color amplifys the dark , hopeless points of the script. This a light hearted comedy for God's sake. Besides, if United Artists thought color would have increased the box office draw, they WOULD have filmed it that way. The same problem existed for Abbot and Costello......Costello pleaded with the studio to film a couple of movies in color. The studios response was that audience attendance to thier movies was already sky high, and using color would only decrease the profit margin.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  17. stereoguy

18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Oh, give it a rest.
    It was done in B&W. That is reality.
    It is regarded as their best film by many critics and fans alike.
    It is no less a good film because it was done in B&W. Some of the world's best films are in B&W.
    DON"T WATCH IT IF YOU CAN"T ABIDE A B&W FILM.
    All the coulda woulda shoulda is just playing a fantasy game. It is what it was (and is).

I suppose that every MONO recording should have been done in stereo as well?
    Funny how folks always think they can improve on what was done...because it just isn't "modern" enough for them.

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I for one enjoy the documentary feel of the B/W film, but would also enjoy it in color if it waz filmed that way in 1964. Not colorized after the fact. That would be like Help in glorus B/W.

Darryl

20. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Who said this was a "dark movie"?

Sorry- your argument makes no sense. I have a feeling you know that.....

21. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Here's a vote for wishing AHDN was in color. What's more, I wish Yellow Submarine was done in 3d

F_C_FRANKLIN, stereoguy and t-man 54 like this.
  22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

TCM will show it on Sunday July 31, 6:15pm Eastern, in HD. Not necessarily the Criterion version, but it could be.

quicksilverbudie and Beatledust like this.
  23. Not glorifying accounts but rather the great artistic achievement of cinematography, editing and direction ( aside from all the Beatles stuff).

Or as we used to say in film school and in France , the Mise-en-scène

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  24. stereoguy

It makes perfect sense, actually. If you had read it, instead of speeding thru it, you might understand that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    t-man 54 likes this.
  25. stereoguy

I'm fine with your comment..........But all the items you mentioned would STILL have been present with Color film in the cameras...........

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.