Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

With no audio? I hope not!

2. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I'm not the person who posted that, but just to be absolutely clear, that person was joking. Bull Moose's count on the discs is off because they are not double counting the DVD/BluRays, but they are counting the 7" singles as discs, and Floyd did not.

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You're very dedicated. I think I only read threads assiduously if I catch them when they start. But, at some point I realise that a thread has suddenly grown 20 pages longer than the last time I visited and I begin to skim and lose interest. I mean – they do repeat and it's no one's fault.

Fungusmungus likes this.
  4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Maybe they're taking a page out if the Pete Townshend Quadrophenia playbook.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't especially like the slick and unimaginative graphic design on these PF boxsets and re-issues. But when I see that crass photo (posted further back) of 5 naked women beside a pool with PF covers painted on their bodies, I really really do not miss Storm Thorgesen's artwork (RIP).

izgoblin and J Vanarsdale like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have that poster hanging on my wall, everybody loves it ! o_O

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

And you're not 14 ?

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Eh? One poster negates three decades of genius work?

To clarify, the covers are painted on their backs because it's a promotion for their back catalogue. I think that's quite witty.

9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Yeah,his work thru the 70s was some of the best ever put on album covers.But after AMLOR and the 87- tour until today I get so sick of seeing anything related to Floyd has to have prisms and diving guys legs and pigs and walls or DB heads floating thru the air.They seem to be combined on everything,shirts,magazines,posters and then even on the front of the Echoes (best of)cd,just looks cheap to me.Not saying Storm did all this it just seems when anyone needs to do a Floyd related piece that's what they put up.

Lost In The Flood and pablorkcz like this.
  10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Don't do this to me!

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I feel like a fool. Never caught that joke. Thanks for enlightening me!
    I remember an earlier campaign with a photo of Kevin Ayers' back and the text also read 'Kevin Ayers' back'... he had returned to the Harvest label.

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, back in the 70s, the Hipgnosis artwork was very fresh and inventive, but after a while, it grew a bit stale and by the numbers, IMO.
    [​IMG]

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm not sure I'd have called it three years of genius work to start with, but that's just me.

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It'd have been a whole lot funnier if they'd paid the girls to have the covers tatooed on their backs.

izgoblin likes this.
  15. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I find that is the main offput for me toward reissues and best of/collections. Artwork has to grab an audience by the short and curly's but we, people who have collected countless versions of albums want something fresh and different or an exact replica, but the general public need to be given a feeling of nostalgia so that prism or pig on the cover will be a hook for them but sadly yet another prism or pig for us.

16. Myke

Nope. I also don't live in fear of a wife, asking permission to buy records.

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's a nice photo and the cover has charm.

I think Hipgnosis eventually became like proverbial Ad-men. Somehow I suspect they were all men, but please correct me.

18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Then you surely have to ask your mum for money to buy records. There must be a woman standing between you and your collection! ;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    DTK likes this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Thanks I missed that!:laugh:
    Oh no,silly me it is a joke!!:D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  20. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

I hope this is also part of the boxset in HD quality.
    David Gilmour Goes Berzerk In France!

21. Myke

No, never has been actually, even when I was married, over 30 years ago.

DTK and jay.dee like this.
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Well, since you asked...my heaviest purchase with Amazon.it was the Dark Side "Immersion" boxset and had to send it back; the replacement was ok...smaller stuff I had almost no problems with.
    Personally, I wouldn't order a 27 disc boxset knowing it is going to make a trans-oceanic travel. The thought of dealing with the return-replacement procedure makes me sick, thankfully it happened one time only.

I bought the "Wish you were here" Immersion box from another seller, based in the UK, and it arrived in tip-top conditions.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

no problems...let's post that pic again

[​IMG]

24. I sort of agree. At this price point even s $50 swing difference would have me order from a place I know I can easily deal with after the sale. But that's just me.

Mr. H likes this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

In my experience some of the European amazon sites use flimsier card board for packaging. A number of my box set orders have arrived damaged, including the rexent Glenn Gould massive box set. They requested a return but did not provide the initial postage. I am in the US so I paid nearly $70 to ship it back to them, which they reimbursed me for in full. I received the replacement box before returning the first one and was able to take the bottom half of one box and he top half of the other to make an acceptable copy for myself. It's a real shame and I have contacted each site when this happens to complain about the shipping methods.

Still I have preorers for this one on amazons UK and IT. I'll cancel whichever is more expensive at release time. I'm hoping it will arrive undamaged, but I have faith in their return policies for the time being.

tkl7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.