Windows Media Player won't sync w/ USB drive

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by townsend, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a 32KB Kingston USB drive, and I am trying to copy my music CDs to it.

1) I formatted the USB drive to NTSC -- there are 29.8 KB available.

2) I converted all songs on a CD in Windows Media Player to mp3 (192, and even 256 bit rates).

3) However, after I finishing ripping, though WMP recognize my USB drive, when I drag-and-drop a song to the R panel to "sync" it, nothing happens. I've searched on the Internet, uninstalled the USB, tried updating the drivers, etc., and still no dice.

Can anybody help me? Is this a problem of WMP specifically? Note: I am using Windows 7 OS.

This guy had no problems, but mine doesn't work that way.

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Just open the folder where your files are drag them from there to your USB drive. I'm not getting why you want to use WMP in this process, or what "sync" means.

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Sounds as though you're trying to drag & drop from the files on the CD rather that the from the ripped MP3 files.

4. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

What Tim said. Please stop trying to sync your files in WMP (or any program) and just copy them over using File Explorer.

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

After you drag/drop your songs, click "Start sync" up at the top right. Does this begin the sync?

6. townsend

I appreciate the help. After overcoming that hiccup by doing everything in Windows Explorer, and still not getting the USB stick to play, I read one footnote in the 300-page owner's manual that said that through USB, "only AAC recorded in iTunes are supported." I actually understand Honda's choice here, considering the popularity of iTunes. It still seems kind of inconsistent that one can play mp3s recorded on a CD, but not mp3s on a USB drive.

I'll save this for another day -- but now I need to grab an CD > AAC converter and see if that will do the trick. Thanks again.

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That's really interesting. I didn't understand from your first post that the end result was that you wanted to use the USB stick in your car.

If Honda says it only supports AAC, then I will take their word for it. I can tell you my Kia supports mp3 BUT it will not take a USB formatted as NTSC. In fact, I format in straight FAT, cause that's what it wants to see.

Also, it seems to me that if you just do a quick convert in your computer from CD tracks to AAC, your car would play it. Again, I don't think your car will like that NTSC formatting, though.

final note: I have no experience with AAC , but I think dbPoweramp will do what you want - many people here use it, so maybe someone else can verify or help with this.

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I got curious about your issue and saw this:

(the important part is the author's notes, the video itself doesn't go into any detail)

townsend likes this.
  9. townsend

Thanks. I actually saw this myself and bookmarked it. I'm going to use the AAC parameters he lists when I search for a CD > AAC converter.

10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

You could also get an FM transmitter, plug it into the cig lighter/accessory connection (whatever they're calling it now), and connect it to a portable music player such as an iPod or whatever you've got.

11. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

My 2012 Honda plays MP3's just fine, on several different sticks, and different bitrates. All I do is make a folder for each album, and copy the songs into it. It will only read 200 folders, so sooner or later I'm going to try just making folders by artist name and dropping the individual songs in there. I just use EAC and LAME and rip to MP3. I'm thinking I don't much care if it's set up as albums because I always listen to the random option in the car anyway. Windows Media Player is completely unnecessary for this.

12. townsend

Hey, as a card carrying member of the SH forum, as an aging rocker (though not bald at all, but still w/ a full head of hair), as a person celebrating their B-day today (I was 18 when Alice Cooper sang "I'm Eighteen . . . you do the math), I love my physical medium --- CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD, blu-ray -- and have never invested in portable music players. But a flash drive I got.

13. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

is this the issue:
    32KB Kingston USB drive

seems kinda small.

14. townsend

Honda must have changed between 2012 and 2014, b/c I had mp3s both in folders, and even a single song OUTside of a folder, and got the error message "UNSUPPORTED" when I plugged into my USB port. A fine car nonetheless, but if it will play mp3s on burned to ancient media (CD), they ought to have made the USB port recognize mp3 as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.