What's your favorite album by "The Big 5" of Grunge? (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden,etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Nevermind or Ten...i just can't leave bandwagon :(

2. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

If we are adding the pumpkins, which i wouldn't, their heroes were Boston after all, not very grungy. Then Siamese dream beats all of the above options. One of the best albums of the 90's along with The Bends.

Erik B. likes this.
  3. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Dirt is an album I play very frequently even today. It really stands above and apart from the other albums of time for me (and that includes the other Alice in Chains albums). After that it would be Nevermind.

4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Sort of off topic but I just purchased the Mellon Collie vinyl set from Amazon. Can anyone comment on the sound quality issues and if they have been corrected? I heard some mixed reviews with many people saying it sounds fantastic with no inner groove distortion on Zero. It seems like many of the negative reviews were when it was first released. Anyway, figured I would take a shot and can always return it if there are issues.

5. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger.

Honorable mention to Mother Love Bone's Apple, which actually kicked off this whole thing by signing to a major label. The band is often mentioned, but somehow the music itself is rarely celebrated. In my college radio days, I was supposed to interview Jeff Ament on the phone about the record, but he never called. Looking back, it's a good thing he didn't as I didn't know much about the band and had no idea that Andrew Wood was dead. Would have made for a very awkward conversation.

Bill Why Man and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  6. stever

stever Senior Member

Superunknown.

7. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I remember this time vividly as I did hard rock radio in college and got promos of all of this, as well as the supposedly dying hard rock and metal records. STP came shortly after some of the Seattle stuff hit, not years later like Bush and Candlebox. I've heard rumors that STP sounded more like the Red Hot Chili Peppers in their earlier "Mighty Joe Young" days, but I can't verify. All I know is that after Pearl Jam finally broke in early 1992 (about 6-7 months after 10 came out and less than 9 months before STP's debut), I doubt Atlantic signed them so quickly that the band had time to completely overhaul their material and record it in time for release just to sound like Pearl Jam. A band that was almost considered moderately unsuccessful for the first 6 months after their first record came out.

8. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Core/Facelift/Dirt

9. Mountain Cowboy

Mountain Cowboy Forum Resident

Dirt easily for me.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  10. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Nirvana - In Utero

hands down

Bill Why Man and Deano6 like this.
  11. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Superunknown but not grunge whatsoever

12. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I voted for In Utero but dagummit, I love me some Purple and Tiny Music too. Nevermind is #4.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

PJ is my favorite of those bands by far, but I voted "Nevermind". It really is a tour de force album...

Bill Why Man likes this.
  14. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I only started to dig most of those bands like 4 years ago and to this day the best offer was Badmotorfinger.

Guitarded and Bill Why Man like this.
  15. The Stone Temple Pilots are not a good inclusion here. Mudhoney would be far more appropriate. I lived in Seattle during this music's heyday. The Pilots were never considered a part of this scene.

In fact, I remember seeing their video for "Sex Type Thing", thinking that Alice in Chains had a new video/song. When the credits came up otherwise at song's end, that was the first sign to me that this movement would soon be watered down by Poserville.

Angry chair,

Bill

16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

What he said.

Bananas&blow and Bill Why Man like this.
  17. Bananas&blow

Pleasantly surprised to see my selection "In Utero" getting some love. That album summed up the loathing stoned lost youth of the era so perfectly. Dirt/Jar of Flies definitely up there.

STP is and always was classic rock. Their music has held up well but at the time everyone I knew just thought they were wanna-be Pearl Jam and they were not respected. Candle box was more respected and more grunge at the time.

I'll give some more props to Mudhoney. And Dinosaur Jr (maybe not grunge but a great band of the era and still great!). And the Afghan Whigs. And if you want to get weird throw in Alice Donut. Screaming Trees were ok.

Grunge was the hot music of my prime 16-21 and if you gave us this list in 1993 we would have laughed at it. Mostly because of STP but also because you missed some of the great grunge out there.

In '93 Pearl Jam was thought to be the best band in the world by my crew. The next Zeppelin if you will. But they fell off real hard.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Were these choices on the list I'd vote for Pearl Jam- either Yield or Riot Act though neither of those are what I would call "grunge" albums.

19. Bananas&blow

This isn't too far off. We used to go to the goodwill to buy grungy looking flannel. Come to think of it when we did we were listening to Iron Maiden. But we were stoned and also liked Soundgarden. Loud Love Soundgarden not the MTV garbage.

20. Bananas&blow

WTF?!?! Mother Love Bone is more grunge than anything on this list. Goes to show grunge was a scene. It was a feeling. And you either fit in the vibe or you didn't. It wasn't a sound. It wasn't a cause. It was just a style that some bands fit into and some didn't. It was the end of hair metal. The wanting for something dark and real and not really knowing what you wanted so we might as well get stoned. Something like that. And guitars. Lots of guitars. It's easy reading these posts who was into the vibe at the time and who wasn't. We still liked non-grunge music. But bands either fit or they didn't.

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This poll fails so miserably the fact that AIC Dirt is not at #1. Miserably.

22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well, I voted for Badmotorfinger. Mostly because it's the correct choice.

Mostly.

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

what is the opposite of Mostly ? that is Badcompactdisc.

[Although I would put it in top 5 ]

24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

if by tour de force you mean most overrated piece of &&&&, then yes it is very tour de force

25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.