Would Brian Jones Be The Center Of Attention In The Stones Universe 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Me Brian at Kennedy Airport Oct. 1964

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe you mean they became more successful.

ailgin and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  3. What I meant was more along the lines of "primo-era Stones". They were great during the Jones era and indeed put out some of their best songs during that time ("Paint it Black", baby!) but I'm of the opinion that they didn't really come into their own as a band with a unique sound until Beggars, and I buy the received opinion that the run of albums from Beggars through Exile is when the Stones were at their best.

ailgin, Dave Hoos, Tristero and 2 others like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love the 60's pre beggars albums inconsistencies and all but that album run 1968-1972 was mind boggling.

John Fell likes this.
  5. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Of course he would. He was the most gifted, in my opinion.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The session reels for Jimi Hendrix' recording of "All Along The Watchtower" are circulating. Brian of course appears, and it's a fascinating listen.
    At first he pops up playing piano like a monkey, likely very drunk or otherwise. After some careful nudging by Jimi, he ends up contributing some very distinctive percussion that is an integral part of the recording. So, he was barely capable on a lot of instruments, but he had creative arrangement ideas that could elevate recordings. That's Brian playing the Vibraslap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia » in the intro, and the tambourine.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Another problem was that some of Jones' "exotic instrument embellishments" were difficult to recreate in a concert setting for a number of reasons. The screaming would drown out a lot of the stuff out. They were faced with having to change the arrangements or just simply not playing certain songs in a live setting. It would be little easier now with the electronic advances since the sixties.

8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

9. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

He was gifted for his time. He could play anything, but not with any great skill. Some of the parts he came up with were creative. I think you'll find more talented young multi-instrumentalists now thanks to the internet and the accessibility of information. (Remember Macca's B7 guitar chord story?) Listening to Brian now, I'd argue his best instrument was the harmonica.

10. godstar

godstar Well-Known Member

Hi Ed!

11. godstar

If only Taylor had joined in 1965!

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

We all know Dennis Wilson played the drums, one day while tuning up for a concert with the Boys 1970's composer Carmen Dragon was present and heard a piano playing he couldn't believe he found it was Dennis. He was shocked at what an accomplished pianist Denny was. Carmen stated it took him years to play the way Dennis was playing.

Just wanted to bring this story up being we speak of Brian's multi instrumentation.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

He would have been 16 years old.

14. godstar

And 16 times better than Jones if this abominación of a thread is to be believed. Incredible really.

15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I don't think he was going to make it this far judging by the way he was incapacitating himself with drugs before his death. If you look at some of the film clips he is so stoned it seems almost shocking no one called an ambulance for him. I am talking about the scenes from the Sympathy For The Devil recording sessions if I am not mistaken. I am pretty sure if anyone of us in public looked that bad someone would dial 911.

Actually stoned is not the word. He looks a few steps short of overdosing.

16. godstar

Thankfully, Richards pulled them through in his sobriety :pineapple:

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

18. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Nice interview. Still articulate in '68--sure wish there were more interviews like this where he talks about music by the Stones and their peers.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Interesting and facinating none the less.

To hear Brian's state of well being at that time. Late 1968 I believe.

Aftermath likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

A young stones and Brian

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Brian Austria 1968

Aftermath likes this.
  23. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Harmonica, rhythm and slide guitar, mellotron.

Those were his best instruments.

24. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

As much as I admire him, by 1968, Brian was a long way from being the engine. He did make some meaningful and sublime contributions to Beggars Banquet, but after his second drug bust, by the time they got to Let It Bleed, he was barely there.

And I can't quite see how Let It Bleed, Ya-Ya's, Sticky Fingers and Exile are in any way, 'down hill'.

Zoot Marimba, ailgin, MHP and 3 others like this.
  25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

He mentions Joe Cocker's cover of With A Little Help from My Friends which was released in Oct. '68, so yeah, late '68.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.