Beatles Collection of Oldies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Hard to consider this part of the canon, but as a collector, it’s a must! It would have made the Past Masters much smaller though.
    Good enough reason for me :D
    Good point!
    Agreed, I did it.

2. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

My guess is United Artists would have objected as they still had the exclusive on "Can't Buy Me Love" & "A Hard Day's Night" appearances on LP.

3. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

And despite the fondness those who grew up with it seem to have for the album, clearly a non-canon album at this point. I remember reading in "The Beatles An Illustrated Record" that the release of this album was due to Parlophone/EMI not having anything new to release for the '66 Christmas season. Which then raises the question as to how much the Beatles actually had to do with it.

Of course I could be describing any number of U.S. Capitol albums with most of these comments.....:)

Archtop and Tommyboy like this.
  4. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Very cool, and very prescient on your behalf! $13 was a large sum of money for a record album in 1967, especially to a 12 year old. I remember trying to build my record collection with virtually no money. I had to save up to buy a copy of the (US) white album, which as a double album sold for something like $7.99 in 1968.

forthlin likes this.
  5. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I used to have a Dutch copy of this and "All My Loving" started off with Ringo hitting the hi-hat five times instead of the normal cold opening. Anybody else know anything about this track? :wave:

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

'All My Loving' is not on Oldies (it's on Beatles Greatest though). It's the unedited stereo version you are referring to.

EasterEverywhere and Archtop like this.
  7. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Surprised at the love for the cover. Always thought it was horrendous - nearly as bad as the original Rock n Roll comp.

I bought a UK 2 box in the early '80s. Still have it.

8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You may find this helpful:
    The Beatles - "All My Loving" High Hat Mix »

fr in sc likes this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I read @fr in sc 's post and pulled this one out of the bin. I haven't listened to this in years and was a bit puzzled that All My Loving wasn't there. No matter, my yellow-label Odeon pressing is currently blasting throughout the house. Barely a click or pop after some 30 years. I guess not listening to it for 20-odd years hasn't hurt.

10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Thank you so much for that! When I went to the Discogs link above I didn't see it in the track listings and I thought old age was catching up yet again. Then I see that I got my Beatles anthologies mixed up, but I found your reply and now I know I didn't imagine it. What a relief! :D

NumberEight and Archtop like this.
  11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Same here - and of course, it is, but listening to this makes me feel 17 again. So, thanks for your "senior moment." ;)

12. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

well Capitol needed extra tracks to fill out all those extra albums they manufactured, the choice was random and a few tracks got missed along the way i guess

13. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

indeed, Parlophone/EMI allowed the Beatles a great deal of control over their product but " allowed " being the word, had they wanted EMI could have done what they liked with the Beatles product just as Capitol did.

Before 65 Parlophone had that control but luckily that rested with label boss George Martin so their UK product was luckily for them in safer/more sympathetic hands/control, after the absorption of the the group labels into one Gramophone company in 1965 EMI had that control, however i suspect they wisely felt that it best to not rock the boat and let the Beatles and GM ( now as an independent producer ) to it. There may also have been a recognition that the Beatles had become WAY too big to upset especially as their record deal was up for review in 67 so the Beatles and GM retained de facto control.

Oldies was certainly one of those rare occasions ( most of the EP's may have been another ) where EMI instigated the release, it may also have been contractual, i am not certain of this but the Beatles original contract may have even stipulated 2 albums per annum ? Certainly the Beatles involvement was probably minimal, ie they were probably just advised what was planned and that was that.

HarvG likes this.
  14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I agree. I never liked it. Described as "an inferior Carnaby-Street-style carrier bag sleeve" in the Roy Carr, Tony Tyler "Illustrated Record". That about sums it up for me.

15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've got a reissue on the Fame label. I didn't really think anything of it since it's a compilation, but I played it the other day and it sounded really great. I was surprised that it did, actually.

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Even know it’s not really part of the UK canon, it was released during the canon years, so as a collector, I had to have it!

[​IMG]

Man at C&A, JeffMo, varitone and 5 others like this.
  17. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

All of this discussion has prompted me to break out both of my copies for Vinyl Saturday, since they haven't been played in a while.

18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I think mine had a green label. Haven't seen it since 1973. I think it's still at my brother's house in Omaha.

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Agreed.

noahjld likes this.
  20. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I dig the cover.

tages and wiseblood like this.
  21. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

And yet "Hollywood Bowl" gets re-released???? This should have been re-released in 2009.

nowhereman87 likes this.
  22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

People have really differing opinions about the cover. I actually kinda like it. Always have. It's just...different...

[​IMG]
    When I was a kid I always thought this was George.

Beatledust likes this.
  23. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I have one black Parlophone pressing. This appears to be a pressing from the 70's, although one of the label experts can chime in on that. My other copy is the EMI/Fame pressing from the early 80's (I bought it new from Musicland in 1985).

Parlophony and AppleCorp3 like this.
  24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Where's the Long Tall Sally EP?

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indubitably!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.