New Jeff Lynne Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lawrev, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sean Murdock, Comet01, Tord and 2 others like this.
  2. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

here's the interview that the article is based on

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Summary: "I'm futzing around in my home studio by myself."

4. I'm sure Jeff was also quoted as recently saying that he's already completed 8 tracks for a new album, and it would be foolish of him not to put this out under the ELO name when you consider how active the "group" has suddenly become again, not to mention it's likely to coincide with the Wembley show next year. Between now and then, I've been told we'll get a follow-up to the 1973-1977 boxed set, probably including Discovery, Time, Secret Messages and Balance Of Power (though no Xanadu or Zoom). However, I'm more curious to see if Craig Fruin will finally convince his client to open up the vaults - there has to be a reason why the latest batch of remasters suddenly don't include any of the previously available bonus material... Could some* kind of rarities type collection be on the cards at long last?

*I was reliably informed there is something planned, but I'm not aware of the specific details apart from it being an archival project.

longaway, Comet01, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  5. mil0001

mil0001 Forum Resident

I think we can pretty much accept that Sony would have signed him on to a multi album deal considering all the press recently and extended tour.

6. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I'd just like to focus on that 1973-1977 reissue set I see in the U.K., but for all we know this just uses the current 2001-2007 remasters, minus the bonus tracks and seems like a totally pointless reissue? It's not even getting released in the U.S.

I have all of the 2001-2007 individual remasters with the bonus tracks in jewel cases and have the AOTW and Ticket comps, so Sony would have to release something else here to get me to buy more ELO CDs now.

lawrev likes this.
  7. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

I'd be happy with a new remaster of Armchair Theater. Great album.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'd be happy with a new album that even attempts to be as good as "Armchair Theater", which is still one of my favorite Jeff Lynne involved projects. He needs to call Richard Dodd in Nashville and work with him again.

Chazzbo13, Chew, Tord and 1 other person like this.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Good news. Expect this in 2017, around the time of the Wembley show. The band is on a roll, selling bucket loads in the UK right now.

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Already done in 2013.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

According to reviews I've read, the 1973-77 set uses the 2001 remasters.

12. Didn't an insider recently confirm on here that the 1973-77 box does indeed use the 2001 remasters, or at least the same transfers with a few minor corrections (such as the drop-out previously heard during Night In The City on Out Of The Blue being digitally repaired)?

13. Of all his former acquaintances, I'd love to see Jeff work with Bill Bottrell again - he was responsible for convincing the ELO leader to push up his guitar in the mix, resulting in the fantastic sound of Secret Messages. Indeed, they got on so well that Bill was asked back to engineer the initial sessions for Balance Of Power, and then went on to supervise the recording of the first Traveling Wilburys album (with Richard Dodd, no less). Then again, it would also be interesting to see what Reinhold Mack could bring to the more recent production approach that Jeff's settled into...

RickH, lawrev and FACE OF BOE like this.
  14. lawrev

Yeah, I have had enough of ELO compilation discs. I want something new, either a new album with the same drumming as the last several he's released, or better yet, an archival release that will really add something to the ELO legacy.

15. lawrev

It would be great to have Mack working with Jeff again. But then I'd want Mack to challenge Jeff to get him OUT of his current production approach. Otherwise, this new album will simply be AITU Part II. LOL

16. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

If he does anything else as ELO (foregone conclusion), I would really hope he doesn't play his awful trademark 'clockwork drums' on the tracks. Stiff as a board. Removes all of the feel from every songs he plays them on.

FACE OF BOE, lawrev and Futurecity like this.
  17. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

18. lawrev

I think it is fantastic that the band has another #1 album in the UK. Now I want Secret Messages in its original configuration! If the Eagles can reunite after hell freezes over, and ELO can have a UK #1 album (a compilation to boot...one of 40 or so.... :) ) 35 years later, then Secret Messages can be the easy part. :)

Comet01 likes this.
  19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I'd love to hear a newly-remixed "Time", as much a favorite of mine in the ELO catalog as any of'em.

20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Jeff Lynne at home? Notice in the right window corner, looks as though he has a Guild Bluesbird in his collection.
    [​IMG]

21. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.