How to connect cassette deck and CD Recorder to AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gretsch6136, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 receiver to which I'd like to hook up both a cassette deck and a CD recorder. The only problem is it doesn't have any dedicated tape loops on it.

Here's a picture of the back panel. Can any of you guys see a way I could do this?

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Mark

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No tape loop, won't work. You need a different integrated amp, receiver, or preamp/power amp to use these.

3. Gretsch6136

Could I use something like the pre amp out or Zone 2 outputs to get a signal to the deck/CD recorder, and then play them back through the analog inputs?

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You need a tape monitor loop, and your Yamaha does not have a loop. And headphone amps don't have them either. Find an old preamplifier or integrated or receiver, and use that for a recorder.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Not sure if I don’t understand the question, but can’t you run the RCA wires from the Cassette out to the recorder, than the outs of the recorder into the back of the receiver?

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

What type of inputs does the CD recorder have? I have been using component CD recorders for years to do needle drops and never had a problem. I could see a problem with a limit to the number of outputs. Over the years having dedicated DVD Audio, SACD, BD, etc was always a challenge.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  8. Gretsch6136

Thanks everyone. For the sake of clarity, I wish to be able to record any source to either the CD recorder or the tape deck and also play them back through the receiver.

9. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Are you using the AV OUT (red, white and yellow) for anything? I have never had a problem only using the audio of an AV out.

scobb likes this.
  10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

That was already clear. You need a tape loop, but you don't have one. Get an integrated amp or receiver that has two tape loops. That's what you need in order to do what you described with both the cassette deck and the CD recorder.

11. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

You can playback and record with that receiver. The AV Out connected to either the CD recorder or tape deck inputs will allow you to record whatever input is selected. Then just connect the CD recorder or tape deck to an open AV input for playback. With my RX-A1010, the AV Out turns off if Pure Direct is engaged. And if you want to "monitor" your recording in real-time, because of the lack of a traditional tape monitor or loop you'll have to do that from the headphone jack on the CD recorder or tape deck. Just keep those things in mind.

12. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I have read a few of these responses and maybe I am confused or the question needs refinement.
    My understanding is that a tape loop lets the cassette be placed into the audio path and monitor or record at will.

Not having a tape loop should not be an impediment if the OP only wants to do either recording or play back from his recorders, but not both at the same time.

ETA. What OCDMan wrote.

Gretsch6136 and sunrayjack like this.
  13. Gretsch6136

Thanks @LEONPROFF @OcdMan and @Cherrycherry. This is what I was looking for - outside the box thinking. Just because it doesn't have a tape loop doesn't mean you can't still record from this AV receiver and play back. The AV Output is what I'll use.

14. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Remember this! If while recording you inadvertently engage the monitor switch on your tape deck - assuming it is a three-head recorder - you will induce speaker-destroying feedback. I've been there.

Gretsch6136 and McLover like this.
  15. bikdav

bikdav New Member

I had the same problem with an Onkyo AVR and a Sony CD recorder. Here is how I "cheated". I connected the Zone 2 out on the avr to the record in on the recorder. I then connected the CD recorder play out to whatever I had open on the avr. That part worked. But, what I discovered is that I can set the Zone 2 to record one source while listening to another source - like Zone was meant to do in the first place. In your case, you only have one Zone out to work with. So, you will have to choose which recorder to actually use, or get an external tape loop to switch between the cassette or the CD recorder (if such a device is still available).

rlwings likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.