Ron Howard Beatles doc to include 30 minutes from Shea

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfire, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Maybe because Ringo sings horribly off-key?
    But I do agree with you that using the studio version is just silly. The song doesn't sync to the film even when they chopped it up to try to make it fit. It seems they could have re-recorded his vocal track at CTS studios.

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I agree about the rerecording of the vocal, but I don't think the original is tnag bad. He starts out rough but works it out.

musicfan37 likes this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Certainly Washington & Shea concerts could fit on a Deluxe Blu-ray, if released.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya, all their concerts are less than 30 minutes long...... You could also get the ’66 Tokyo Concert on there too!

Anyways’s, can’t wait to see Shea in 4K!

musicfan37, longdist01 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Like two notes in the beginning before he finds his pitch. Not horrible. I have heard many big name singers do far worse.

Drifter likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Some just want to say that the Beatles performances were bad it seems!

7. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Is theere a list of US theaters yet?

8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I hope that they don't wreck it with narration over the music.
    It's a possibility, as some bright spark is bound to say something like "we can't have 30mins of music as young people won't have the patience to sit through that much music and will get restless and bored".

RMB77 and theMess like this.
  9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Autotune that up :hide:

Studio_Two and daveidmarx like this.
  10. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

They could do a slight pitch correction that might work. You never know.

11. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

I am skeptical of this report....I read the recent detailed book about the concert and the author interviewed the son of the guy who put it all together. He said that, per his father, there was NO extra footage from the cutting room floor or missing songs from the original 50 min film. He was adamant that there is no unseen Shea footage! So why is it being reported that She's A Woman and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby are being screened? Allegedly they DO NOT exist ! What gives? What is the truth?

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It will take the miracle of modern technology to hear anything of the original in acceptable quality. I don't expect The Beatles could hear themselves play.

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

All I want is the truth, just give me some truth! :)
    There are apparently fan-filmed segments of those two songs and clearly the audio for those songs exist.
    Not sure exactly what a fan-filmed view would look like, since the Beatles were out at 2nd base and the fans were a long ways away from them. And really all we have is supposition on what will be shown, so until we actually see what is presented it is all just a guess...and some wishful thinking.

14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The truth is the audio exists of She's a Woman and Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby (as well as the other 10 songs) and photos and newsreel exists of parts of the show, and maybe a few seconds of 8mm movie has been recovered. Edited together, yes, all that could be a reasonable 30 minute representation of the concert. It's even possible that a work print which did feature pro shot film of the two missing songs has been found (one was delivered to Brian Epstein in fall 1965 with all 12 songs after all) but it would be a 16mm dupe, possibly even black and white. So, as of today, no-one knows.

To be honest, the original pre-sweetened soundtrack is fine. Paul went a bit overboard with busy bass on Can't Buy Me Love, and although Help! unfortunately had a technical fault in the middle, it and I Feel Fine are good performances, better than the re-recordings. John's voice is a little under-recorded on I Feel Fine, but the 1965 Hollywood Bowl show with no Paul mic presents a great solution to that in pro-tools!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    OneStepBeyond, Kim Olesen and theMess like this.
  15. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Ahhh....now that makes sense Dewey. I can see if they will 'frankenstein' together some home footage with the existing audio for the missing songs from the original film.....I just do not think we will see official 35mm footage of the missing songs. Like I said, reports indicate there is no additional footage beyond the original broadcast of the concert....Rory

16. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

This makes sense also, thanks guys....we shall see !

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

nikh33 - someone (I think on this forum) also spoke to that complete pro-shot film and said that McCartney had aquired it from Epstein estate...is that just more wishful thinking? And if it was B&W, they've already shown us in the trailers that they are not beyond colorizing things.

And as we saw from the 1+ constructed video for the song Eight Days a Week, they can be pretty creative in using existing segments and crowd scenes from the available footage to "fake" a performance, so between that, any 8mm home movies acquired, and still photography, they could do a somewhat respectable video job on those two songs.

18. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Wow !! Hope that's true Dewey !!! Now that would be something...if there exist unseen official footage from SHEA !!!! I hope you're correct !!! I'd love to see George finally get his due for that kick ass rendition of ETTBMB not only being heard, but finally seen !!!!

19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

As of today, that's a story I've not heard. Although, unlike other 'wish list' missing Beatles films, it definitely did exist at one time, was seen by living people (Tony Bramwell) and could conceivably turn up. As it was just a reference print though, I doubt it would be 35mm colour, though it would be beyond great if it was!

By the way, I've never believed the story that the cameramen changed their film rolls during one of the missing songs- 16 cameramen all decide to change the roll at the same moment? One minute into the actual performance? No way. There are even two clips of 'She's A Woman' used in the 1966/7 TV show, one of John starting the guitar intro from behind (as they come out of the bow at the end of Twist and Shout) and a front close up of him playing it.

Mark Wilson, theMess and dewey02 like this.
  20. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

What a shame that some critical moments in the Beatles live history were treated so shabbily...I mean why not save all footage from Shea? Why not officially film the Hollywood Bowl concerts to coincide with the audio, why not film the 1966 New Musical Express Poll Winners concert when they donned the black turtlenecks and George played the Gibson SG? Why not film more shows !!!!??? Why not film Candlestick if they knew it was their last?!?!? When you see all the missed opportunities it makes no sense.

theMess likes this.
  21. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

It makes no sense using 20/20 hindsight, sure. But I think when this stuff was actually happening, historical preservation was the furthest thing from most people's minds.

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Even beyond what might have happened, that so much of what was filmed and subsequently lost is shameful. Nearly 20 TV appearances in 1962 and 3 (including four LIVE, not lip-synched appearances, notably their first ever TV appearance from October 1962, where they sang Love Me Do and Some Other Guy in the studio). The famous London Palladium show of October 1963, (the British equivalent of Ed Sullivan), and their return in January 1964, most of the 1963 Liverpool Empire Show and the Juke Box Jury the same day, 10 minutes from the Melbourne concert, half of their Munich concert, all outtakes save about three minutes in total from both A Hard Day's Night and Help!, all their BBC-produced Top of The Pops inserts, their appearances on the Eamonn Andrews Show, Thank Your Lucky Stars and so on and on.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  23. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

If the Shea source film is 35mm, 4:3 would be the correct aspect ratio, as I understand it. The 2015 video for "Eight Days A Week" using Shea footage used a 4:3 aspect ratio. The new Eight Days A Week film and Shea concert film is 2.35:1, judging by the trailers. This would be cropping nearly half the video off the top and bottom. Is this correct?

crispi likes this.
  24. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

As an example, here's what happened when they converted a 4:3 to widescreen for Gone With the Wind:

[​IMG]

Dinstun likes this.
  25. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I guess the 2.35:1 trailer is just for the documentary, so maybe the concert film will be separate, at 4:3. Hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.