Def Leppard's Joe Elliot Lip-Synching

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The hate in this thread is totally expected yet no less depressing. Some of you need hobbies...badly.

Read the article to understand what Joe is going through and what kind of work singing those tune in those keys really is.

Ed

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Agreed. I also wonder how many simply don't like the band, don't have any of their music and is just using this thread to express their "hate" for them?

3. Jennifer Tomkins

Jennifer Tomkins Well-Known Member

As demonstrated once again in this thread, this message board has a pocket of miserable people who attempt to make others miserable. That is their hobby. Sad. Very sad.

4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

For the record, I love Def Leppard. Not hating on Joe at all. I'm just disappointed if he lip syncs a whole show.

5. ModernDayWarrior

It's really a damned if you do and damned if you don't. People bitch about Geddy Lee not being able to hit notes that he could sing 30 years ago. Meanwhile if he sang to a backing track people would still destroy him. You can't win.

6. Jennifer Tomkins

People should be disappointed that he has health challenges by showing empathy, not by expressing disappointment in how he has to deal with those challenges.

7. ModernDayWarrior

Sorry , I didn't really know he's had health issues. I knew he had vocal problems earlier this year but I didn't know they were still affecting him. My apologies, I didn't mean to come off like that. It wasn't my intention.

Dave, Nostaljack and Jennifer Tomkins like this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think there is a way to win...you can tell your fans you've been rocking every night for many decades and that has had an affect on your vocal chords and that you are going to enjoy your well deserved retirement.

9. Jennifer Tomkins

No problem. I wish the others had a good heart as you have.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  10. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

We know the answer to this. They can retire and go home. Some people resent those who are no longer worthy making big bucks playing gigs. Damn if there are people who are willing to tolerate imperfection to keep going to these concerts.

:wave:

Stormrider77 likes this.
  11. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

If I had paid a bunch of money and went to all the trouble of going to a big arena show, I'd feel pretty ripped off if the vocals were all lip synced, regardless of whatever ongoing health issues are at play.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Would it also have been legit if they'd sent a lookalike out and passed him off as Joe Elliot? Same difference, the audience would have been entertained. In both cases they paid for an actual performance by Elliot and didn't get one.

I saw Milli Vanilli before they got busted. The audience there was entertained too.

mam1976, vudicus, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It's really a flawed analogy. You're comparing a mechanical solution to a pharmaceutical solution.

If you had instead compared using pre-recorded vocals to a strap-on - that would have been more accurate. Or, if you've seen the movie Orgazmo, "stunt c--k!"

bpmd1962 and vudicus like this.
  14. Jennifer Tomkins

They did get a performance by Elliot. Lip syncing is a performance art and so is stage presence.

There is nothing anyone else can say that has not been answered in an earlier post.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They didn't bitch that badly. General reaction to that tour was "Too bad he can't hit all the notes, but that was pretty much awesome." And yes, if the singer of Rush-- a band known and loved for doing everything the hard way--had lip-synched, there would have been a real outcry.

16. I wouldn't judge Joe Elliot based on a youtube video, sometimes they are out of sync. I'm sure they use backing tracks, which many artists do, the songs off of Hysteria prtoobably wpuldn't sound good without backing tracks. Why would anyone lip synic in 2016 anyway? Wpuldn't he just use auto tune?

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

If you have no voice at all or if pushing out notes at all is harmful, there's really no choice. Apparently, that's what Joe was/is going through.

Ed

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Of course there is choice. You can just tell your fans it's too painful to sing anymore so you're going to retire. There is no shame in your body breaking down after years of vocal abuse.

However if for whatever reason you can't stop then you should inform people that your vocals will be aided by technology so they can make the choice if they are willing to shell out big bucks for that kind of show or not.

19. Jennifer Tomkins

He'll retire if you retire from having sex when you can no longer perform naturally. If you choose to continue, then make sure you announce before each performance that your performance is created artificially. Then your partner can decide if she wants to invest the time with you.

Again, if people would insert their responses into the analogy, they will discover the answers.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  20. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i like Def Leppard. i have all of their studio albums up to 'Slang' + few comps (incl. both Live albums).
    i said they weren't a great live band to begin with because that's what i felt when i saw them at (or near) their peak.
    none of the live recordings (audio/video) i've encountered since then could convince me otherwise so i'll stick to it for now.
    if someone say they were great during 'High n Dry' era then ok...i'll take your word for it since i haven't heard any live stuff from then.
    point being, my criticism isn't coming from 'hatred' for the band but rather an honest observation from what i saw/heard.
    i HATE ignorant 'they suck' type post much as anyone but i don't recall seeing that kind of bashing in this thread....for those, try some Lady GaGa thread ;)

21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I really don't think it's a failed analogy. They're both crutches. They're something to rely on if you can't perform.

This thread has been overtaken by noobs taking jabs and that's not how it works on this board, guys. You'll learn if you end up staying here a bit longer.

It is sad that Joe Elliott has to lip sync. I've had no intention to see them for the past 20 years, but I was interested in the Pyromania Las Vegas residency they were throwing around. Now that I know it's not live, I'll pass. I have the vinyl and that's probably the best anyone will get.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

You haven't heard any High N Dry era live? Have you heard of YouTube? Check it out! Yes, they were a good live band at one point. But, for one, how can a "metal" band (I use the term loosely) perform those songs faithfully for so long, they can't. For two, they've been a nostalgia act for awhile so the point is moot for me.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they could do the harmonies and stuff pretty well back in the day live

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I don''t charge her for it (much).

izgoblin and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Is Pfizer sponsoring this thread? It seems to always come back to bedroom"performance". This site is supposedly ad-free. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.