Would Brian Jones Be The Center Of Attention In The Stones Universe 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:edthumbs:
    Thanks for the info

Aftermath likes this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Stones Brian 1966

3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I find I can play on harmonica what Brian did easier than what Mick did/does.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Not in 2016, but the interviews provided show him to be an articulate and thoughtful subject that neither Jagger or Richards could emulate. That interviewers continued to seek him out until the end shows that he was still a prominent figure to the public, even if his musical contributions in the band were diminishing.

It also can't be left out that Brian's fashion sense was impeccable, and Mick and Keith picked up a great deal of style and image from him. I would go so far as to say they appropriated from him what they would later become.

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think had he lived, he would have quit a looooong time ago and made some terrible albums in the 70's and 80's but had a resurgence in the 90's after joining Oasis. He would be back in the news now because he just wrote a song for the Monkees.

6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I just don't see a scenario, where Mick and Keith would've let Brian back in the band, unless he significantly cleaned up his act. Even so, Keith hasn't made it a secret that he still hates Brian, to this day.

7. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

That's interesting, because I consider Brian to be the superior player. He could hit those big, wailing, bending notes that Mick never could. I still think Mick is a great player, it's just I think Brian was better.

8. Dave Hoos

He's never actually said that he hates him. He'll happily put him down when he gets a chance, but he does that with almost everyone. In a recent interview he told the interviewer - after the interview - that his biggest regret was not doing more to help Brian.

I genuinely think that a lot of Keith's bitterness comes from jealousy and guilt. And also massive insecurity that someone else in the band made meaningful contributions to the band apart from himself.

9. Beatledust

Yeah, perhaps hate is too strong of a word. However, Keith really didn't have many nice things to say about Brian in his autobiography, which left a bad taste in my mouth. On the other side, Mick seems to have eased up on Brian in recent years.

10. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

couldn't it just be that Keith hated Brian for how he treated Anita?

11. Dave Hoos

Me too. It did seem like he was going out of his way to denigrate Brian. For the reasons I mentioned above.

A lot of what Keith said was refuted by various people in Paul Trynka's book.

12. Beatledust

Yup, read Paul Trynka's book, as well.

13. Dave Hoos

Only you think it has. Most people here know exactly how important Brian was to the Stones history and legacy and how incredibly important his musical contributions were...whether they were worthy of official credits or not. Some were, but most weren't. Okay, there are some that don't rate him at all, but they're offset by those who consider him much more important than everyone else in the band!

And I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, however bizarre they may appear, but to refer to the material the Stones put out after Jones - with Mick Taylor - as going down hill...well, I can't really say anything to that. It speaks for itself.

14. Dave Hoos

He said they used to beat each other up. Keith reckons he saved them.

15. Dave Hoos

To me, it comes across as more believable and even handed that Keith's book.

16. Beatledust

You're right! It was a fair and balanced account of Brian's life.

17. Beatledust

From everything I've heard and read, Brian and Anita's relationship was very toxic. Therefore, something had to give, but I don't know if Brian ever got over losing Anita to Keith.

18. Dave Hoos

Then again, in Trynka's book it infers that Brian was more angry and upset about being stranded alone in Morocco - when he was in a very fragile mental state - by his friends, than he was by Keith stabbing him in the back with Anita.

Then again, I can understand never completely getting over losing someone, so there's probably something to that.

19. Beatledust

Either way, that's a crappy thing to do to somebody, regardless of the circumstances.

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

If you must rewrite history

Paint it black

21. Dave Hoos

Agree 100%.

22. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

I'd like to see a supergroup of Brian, Syd, Roky Erickson, and Skip Spence. Sort of the Traveling Wilburys of mental instability. "Handle With Care", indeed...

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

An incredible interesting group that would have been.

IpseDixit likes this.
  24. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Brian could never compete with the Glimmer Twins but let's face it, the music would be far more interesting than what we ended up with after Exile and Sticky.

25. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I read in some liner notes to a Doug Sahm album that Sahm, Dylan and Brian Jones hung out together. That would have been an interesting collaboration. I could see Wyman and watts finding that more interesting than mick and Keith and flying the coop as well! Alternate history to the nth degree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.