Is rock out of the conversation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pathosdrama, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Radiohead is the Kenny G of rock 'n roll?

TheLastVoice, blackg and ianuaditis like this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I didn't miss out in the 90s. I loved the first two albums, and they were really great live. Didn't care for the third album and not sure about the new stuff I've heard, but it's cool that they're back at it.

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I work with teenagers every day.

Almost no young people listen to rock music at all. Maybe 10% do. Teenagers in USA listen only to dance-pop-rhythm music. Weird. :shake:

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

No one rocked the skins like Rubble did;
    [​IMG]

5. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Is there a need for new rock? It certainly appears from time to time, and is often more of a throwback to the classic period than being innovative on it's own. Has the best rock been created? Do we need new rock, or can the art form be developed further than the classic artists have done?

melstapler likes this.
  6. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

A few years later the same man passed on Hendrix.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And that is NOT to say that the contemporary pop is inferior. Inferiority of music is in the head of the listener.

I think what is at the core of the complaint by we older folks that rock music (or R&B, or country music) isn't dominant anymore, is the fear of cultural extinction.

I think a lot of these people are saying that they want wrock music to dominate the world just one last time before they die.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    pathosdrama and blackg like this.
  8. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

rock bands i hear all the time from young people is...21 pilots, my chemical romance and the 1975...
    mostly 21 pilots though.

9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

lol

10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

21 Pilots is Alternative Rap.

Gaslight and Bowieboy like this.
  11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

just watched some videos.....they got a drummer at least :p

JohnnyQuest and blackg like this.
  12. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

yep. They are the Crazy Town of now

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

In other (strange but good) news, my teenage daughter (below) asked me last week for some Black Sabbath to listen to in the car. I responded like this: :confused: I gave her Paranoid and Master of Reality. Her response? "Dad, that was awesome. Why don't drums sound that good in today's music?" :D She does have a sinister look in that photo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

For people my age, in general, yes. The thing is, it almost makes it better in some ways. You either meet people who don't care, or they're obsessed with some old group you can talk about for hours with. I got a friend into Renaissance, he got me into a prog band from the Netherlands Earth and Fire - and then one day we both realized we liked Jefferson Airplane despite not discussing them before. Stuff like that.

blackg likes this.
  15. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

No, Nickelback! :)
    Radiohead is the Sun Ra of Rock! !

Bowieboy likes this.
  16. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

I'm am impressed by your daughter's musical ear.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

You accidentally typed a comma in between the two words in your sentence. There ... I fixed it for you. ;)

18. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

There are lots of 'metal' dudes roaming around town, the night clubs, farmer's market, artisanal bakeries, coffee houses -- they're bearded/tattooed, wearing mostly black w/metal band t-shirts, baseball cap, and, like, a utility carabiner/key chain (dozens of keys), in their 20s -- these guys must listen to metal? Bands like Black Mountain, Mastadon, Earth, Sleep, Om... etc. Something sturdy/powerful, to augment the beard and smartphone. It's almost like a uniform. Some of them are audiophiles, even. Or maybe this was five years ago.

Dudley Morris and blackg like this.
  19. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I do.
    The new Car Seat Headrest is awesome, for example.

I'm talking about resonance more than quality itself.

mschrist and Bowieboy like this.
  20. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I guess this topic deserves a serious answer from me, after the rather glib response I posted earlier.

It's been something like 70 years that Rock has been around in some form or another, and if "Rock" is all about drum kits, electric guitars, bass, vocals, and sometimes keyboards creating driving songs with a powerful rhythm, some artists have moved away from that traditional model. Even as far back as the mid '90's I noticed a conspicuous absence of lead guitar soloing in a lot of releases. I doubt that the traditional rock band format will ever go the way of the wind entirely, but artists are experimenters, and trying new things isn't exactly a millennial concept.

But that's format. And I don't know that it's what rock is about. Uniforms change over time, but the mission remains. Rock is a celebration of youth. It's using music to express and effect social change. It shapes our culture, and helps us to find ourselves. It validates our feelings and unites us towards common interests and goals. It comforts us when we're down, and energizes us when we're courageous. That's the spirit of rock, and it's all over the place in one form or another.

Look at your children
    See their faces in golden rays
    Don't kid yourself they belong to you
    They're the start of a coming race.

-David Bowie.

Change for the better or change for the worse is another topic for another thread. The kids are still rocking. Always have, and always will. They probably don't call it that now, is all.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Good points. So much fantastic rock music was created from the 50s to 70s (and a teeny bit extra from the 80s to 00s) that I feel I don't need any more really. I don't need new rock. I'm forever curious to hear what's going on but it very rarely hits the spot for me like the old stuff still does. Even though the majority of today's obscur "rock bands" are essentially retreading a well-worn path, there will always be room for further development. However, it might never be hugely popular but who gives a damn anyway?

22. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Maybe you don't, but those young teens with a chip on their shoulder out in Podunk, USA need a new generation of bands to call their own.

Diamond Dog and qwerty like this.
  23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Blues, country, folk, rock; the guitar is the cornerstone of American music.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, I agree! I do hope that youngsters can find good new rock music to enjoy and those who want it will certainly find it.
    It must be weird for them also with the bewildering choice of music there is in the matrix now compared to the comparitively smaller choice of music that was up for grabs in the 20th century.

25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

No, they're the Last of the Arena Rock Mohicans (for their generation). Madison Square Garden, not space, is the place. :)
    Searching for Transcendence with Radiohead - The New Yorker »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.