Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Just reviewing the tracklist in a less frenzied manner. Those two tracks recorded at Capitol in LA sound intriguing.

It's a shame however that there's no Biding My Time, or a remixed version of Give Birth To A Smile- the released version is a bit narrow.

As for the OBC disc- wonder if the new remix will include the movie versions of the songs?

Fungusmungus likes this.
  2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I can only speak for myself, but I think there is a difference between complaining and (in my case) wondering why certain tracks that are known to exist have been left off. I'm not losing sleep over it and I'm over the moon (no pun intended) that this box is being released, but I am curious...

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Biding My Time is a curious omission, although it's on Relics which was recently reissued (but not remastered). Relics is also known for featuring the stereo versions of Paint Box, Careful With That Axe, and Julia Dream. Paint Box is in mono on Early Years, but there is no indication that Careful With That Axe or Julia Dream will be in mono. AFAIK, those last two have only been on CD in mono on the Early Singles disc.

I think the whole Music From The Body album needs an expanded reissue. It turns out, the album was recorded AFTER the actual soundtrack. The music in the movie is made of alternate recordings.

And finally, going by the fact that the total time for the OBC remix is virtually identical to the timing of the original album, I suspect it's the album versions.. But the film included in the bonus set would presumably contain the movie versions!

Runicen likes this.
  4. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Funny I noticed the absence of that sleeve on anybody's back there. Made me wonder how comprehensive teh reissue campaign was. Or did they just fail to fit more girls across the camera lens with the correct framing.
    Thought he paint jobs were pretty great though

Lost In The Flood and Platterpus like this.
  5. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

As far as the stuff already out there on boots, the version I had of Wembley 1974 sounds much better than the one I got in the official Immersion set. Another reason I'll pass.

6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It was definitely in the mono Piper LP that I bought in WOM in Munich in 1998.

Lost In The Flood and Platterpus like this.
  7. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I have both(Wembley 1974(pre-FM!!) on LP(grey market item "An offer you cannot refuse") and on CD in the Immersion box set:

Although the LP version is quite good the one on CD is better (but only just).

8. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I wanted to ask a quick question about this huge release. I have all Floyd albums except Relics. Would I still need to pick that up even if I bought the upcoming box set or are the Relics tracks included on other releases?

Thanks

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I just realised - even when they release the individual boxes next year, low-income fans will still be denied the Syd PF BBC session material boxlet.

I see now that the '/' has a special meaning. It stands for the PF economic social divide.

LOW/INCOME FAN
    HIGH/INCOME FAN

Another ironic and clever Hipgnosis joke?

10. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

For the studio recording of Biding my Time. It's not in the new box set.

11. benk

benk Active Member

Theres the strong romour that Masons vocal track was first recorded in spring 1968 after Syd left and the August 1967 recording had no finished lead vocal track.
    The single with Vegetable man was rejected by Emi.
    My theory is that after this they were recording Waters Corporal Glegg for an single...

12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

And also the standalone version of Interstellar Overdrive, the album version, the track ends abruptly with The Gnome beginning, the Relics have a fade out

13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i wonder why a full 1972 dark side of the moon concert wasn't included...

the live stuff on the immersion dark side release is so fun to listen to.

jay.dee likes this.
  14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

If it is totally unheard, how can it be known to definitely exist?

mestreech likes this.
  15. Arnold_Layne

Is it November 11th yet?

16. LucasRios98

LucasRios98 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not :realmad:

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:laugh:
    Hahahahaha!!

18. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

19. Arnold_Layne

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about this than whether Clinton or Trump will be the next President?

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Also, IIRC on Relics the versions of Paintbox, Julia Dream and Eugene are in stereo.

goodiesguy and Diego Lucas like this.
  21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

This thread, started AFTER the Beatles Hollywood Bowl thread, is now 79 pages vs 70 for the Beatles. A pleasant surprise!

22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Interesting. But Syd did record a vocal that was later sped-up ('chipmunk vocal') to back Mason's vocal up. The sped-up vocal was 'normalized' by a fan and was on YouTube once (not anymore, sadly). Maybe this trick has been applied to the 2010 mix?
    Tbh, I'm hoping for Mason's vocal. I'm used to that and it's a nice curio.

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I think they wanted to leave anything referring to DSOTM out of this set.

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

So does the 1966 demo of I Get Stoned and Let's Roll Another not exist?

25. Arnold_Layne

Hrmm none of the Ummagumma live recordings outtakes are here. I guess they guy who has the master tape wouldn't give it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.