Need advice on potential hardware Upgrades

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nightshrill, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightshrill

nightshrill Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I first just wanted to say that this is my first post on this forum (generally not a huge forum poster) - but I have been using this forum as a resource for quite a few years for an assortment of questions. Unfortunately, this question i was unable to find a solid answer to - so I am joining the ranks.

Preface: I am listing all of my audio equipment + the current setup at the end of the post.
    My question essentially boils down to this - my turntable has a built-in phono preamp as well as line switch, i currently have it set to line because the music is barely audible with it set to phono with my current setup. My current amp/dac does not have a phono input, just aux-in, output, usb in, and pre-out. I keep reading that a preamp is a must for a turntable and am not sure if what amounts to a headphone amp/dac is doing the job or not as sometimes my records can sound muddled (I listen to a lot of metal).

So ultimately: Do I need a preamp in my setup? If so, is there a particular one recommend (i realize there are MANY threads out there addressing this) that are $150 USD or lower (I am currently eyeing the U-Turn Pluto preamp). I love the idea of a tube pre-amp but have yet to see one that is reputable and within my budget.

Current audio Setup:
    - Turntable: Audio Technica lp-60U (looking to upgrade this eventually, the product of not enough research done beforehand, but not in the budget at this point time - also the needle weight is 2.8 grams so i'm not worried about it murdering my records)
    - Amp/Dac: FiiO Qogir-e09k & Fiio E17
    - Speakers: M-Audio AV40
    - Computer (used as a source as well): iMac retina late 2014

The current connections are as follows: TT connects to DAC/AMP via RCA cables into aux in, iMac connects to DAC/AMP via usb, DAC/AMP outputs to speakers using RCA output/input.

Thank you for any feedback

2. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Technically you don't need a separate preamp if the LP60 has its own integrated preamp. Presumably, it's a pretty weak sister, though and it's hard to imagine that a dedicated exterior preamp wouldn't improve your sound, fill up your speakers more, etc. It's something that would be physically small and easy to return if there weren't the improvement you hope to achieve.

The Pluto would certainly be a good one to try in the <$100 class. If you felt like going up to the limit of the $150, this Parasound would surely be a beefy alternative. Someone may have a favorite $50 nominee as well.

Parasound Zphono MM/MC Phono Preamplifier-Audio Advisor »

Some may say that a preamp that's worth more than the table is a goofy idea, but it is something that would still be there when you upgrade tables. Your only risk is return shipping.

A modest, but perhaps significant upgrade idea is to upgrade the stylus to this one. (It can also be had on Amazon via lpgear, with free shipping.)

LP Gear CFN3600LE stylus »

3. Tad

Tad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the AT LP60 but I do own an AT LP120 and the built in pre-amp on that really sucks. I think it can be easily assumed that it is probably going to be same pre-amp. So it would be easy to suggest to get a new one. However, as you will find basically anywhere on this forum and on the Internet, just buying a new pre-amp and switching from line to phono is NOT going to do the trick because the built-in pre-amp is still going to negatively affect the sound. What many owners of the AT LP120 did was to open the table and literally rip the pre-amp off. However, I'm not sure there is any video showing how to do it with your table.
    All of this to say that buying a new pre-amp is probably not going to work out well. My suggestion would be to wait to get enough money to change your turntable (and avoid the AT LP120 which would give you pretty much the same result). Maybe you can look into the U-Turn Orbit which I believe would be a reasonable step up to the lp60 at a reasonable price point.

4. SpeedMorris

Yeah, I pretty much forgot about the possible need to zap the built-in preamp.

5. nightshrill

nightshrill Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you both for your feedback, and especially for mentioning the preamp built into the AT-LP120 not being very good either (I was looking at it for the upgrade). Will be saving up for Pro-Ject Essential II instead. I had also been looking at the U-Play Orbit Basic, but the fact that I have to pay extra for a cue lever puts it too close to the Essential in price for me not to just go for the Essential.

6. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Haven't heard the UTurn myself but I can tell you the Schiit Mani @ $129 sounds amazing and has a lot of versatility. I guarantee you won't replace it until you upgrade all your other pieces at least one if not twice. It's that good.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

You might check out some of the used gear sites as well. I see a Pluto for $65 and the Parasound $125. If you are patient keep watching and make the seller an offer. You may get what you need at a decent cost.

8. SpeedMorris

No guarantees on how long they'll be around, but the Music Hall MMF 2.2 (now replaced by the 2.3) goes for the same $299 as the Essential II and is a pretty significant upgrade. (Demo for $279) I grabbed an ebay dealer return (in white) for $240 shipped recently. It may come with a "Tracker" (Goldring Electra) cart or a "Magic 2" cart (said to be an Ortofon 10OMSE, but I have no clue).

Music Hall MMF-2.2 Turntable at Music Direct »

nightshrill likes this.
  9. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

My experience having a entry level set up myself is upgrading gear in increments is a waste of money. Save up, and put your money in upgrading one piece at the time. You mentioned upgrading phono pre-amp, and if I were you I would save up and for instance buy an used Ifiphono i.e. skip 150$ range of phono pre-amps. Not because they sound bad, but because the next step after Ifiphono is exceedingly expensive. If you own an Ifiphono then you will not be bothered with buying a phone pre-amp for quite a while. You can not go wrong with equipment that is given high marks pretty much everywhere. Continue buying 'the best' equipment relative your budget and you will end up with a very decent system.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

RiCat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.