Why do you think my hifi sounds better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

This weekend I made some changes to my room and system set-up, all done roughly at the same time, and I’m noticing that my system is sounding more open and transparent, and the bass has gotten better texture and definition too.

I’m curious to see what you all think are the changes that most likely contributed to the improvement I’m hearing. (The room is 8’ x 12’ with the hifi on the short wall.)

Some possibilities…

My Fisher X-100 was heating up the shelf above it on my 2-shelf rack, so I removed the Dual turntable entirely from the system and moved the Fisher to the top rack.
    • Was there undesirable sound waves reflecting off the top of the Dual’s dustcover before?
    • Is the increased airflow around the tubes making a noticable improvement?
    • Is the removal of the second turntable from the circuit “opening” it up?

I added a small (4-cube) Ikea Kallax to the room, and placed it in the corner next to the listening chair. Prior to this, that corner was empty.
    • Is the Kallax acting as a room treatment, eliminating standing waves in that corner?

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

If I can see correctly, the big black cube on the right have to be a sub woofer, and as far as I can detect there's a port, facing the racks. If so, when the Fisher was on the bottom rack, it was standing just in front of the sub woofer port, and very close to it. So unless I'm completely wrong and this is not sub and this is not a port, the explanation is that now there's more room for the bass to sound correct. The absense of the plastic turntable cover also helps.

mds likes this.
  3. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder, actually. I just moved something I felt was blocking air flow to my 800C. Should have done it months ago.

What is a Kallax again? I forgot? Is that one of those tall-ish, vertical things that people put CD's in?

(The thing I moved was actually an Ikea floor lamp, still in the box... I plan to use it at the new place when I move)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Come on it's as obvious as the nose on your face. Number one, Bob from Bob's Big Boy was missing from the sub in the before pic and that stuffed creature was on the inside of the speaker in the before and on the outside after. Those have obviously affected the sound:) (s0rry I couldn't resist).

Azura, Mikeybc, Erik Tracy and 2 others like this.
  5. action pact

Ah yes, that could have something to do with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Azura, Mikeybc, Rolltide and 3 others like this.
  6. Gang-Twanger

Sometimes it's just a matter of opening up the space a bit, but my bet is that it's the Fisher getting better ventilation (I hope so, since I just did something similar). The Kallax isn't that big, so I gotta' wonder how much of an effect it would have on the sound.

7. action pact

That could well be, but my money is on disconnecting the second turntable having an effect. Old tube amps are funny about stuff like that.

Oh I dunno, it's a little over 30" square and maybe 15" deep.

8. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Totorro blocking early reflection against the left wall. :)

...seriously though, it's probably the Kallax.

jimbutsu likes this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Placebo effect.. A little:) sometimes making a change makes you listen more carefully. Cool jam system..probably sounds AWESOME!

krisbee and quicksrt like this.
  10. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Did you have to unplug the RCA and speaker connections when you moved the amp?

I would swear that the soundstage changed (deeper) after I wiped off the dust on my power amp transformers the other day. Feeling the juju, I used compressed air on my cone drivers for the first time in four years, creating a cloud of dust that should have change the sound, which it did- right back to where I was before I cleaned the trannies.

Manimal and action pact like this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you filled the Kallax with lps, I'd go with that.

krisbee likes this.
  12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This gets my vote.

And the record rack.

13. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I think it's a combination of the improvements you made. I think delmonaco is correct about the Fisher being happier being further away from the sub. The bottom shelf is closer to the wall/floor boundary which will have more bass pressure than the top rack. Tubes don't like that kind of vibration. Plus on the top rack, the Fisher does gets more air as you mentioned. I put my turntable dust covers in the next room when I'm playing, I have noticed a better sound stage without them there to reflect sound back at me.

That's a really nice system you've put together, and that plinth you made is absolutely drool worthy!

action pact likes this.
  14. action pact

Thank you, that plinth was a fun project. For a guy with only the most rudimentary woodworking ability, it came out quite well.

15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

It's the Totoro.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If I was the OP, I would hold on tight to Bob from Bob's Big Boy, it will become a real collector's item. I bet they won't be opening up any more restaurants, with a statue of Bob outside of the front door, anymore.

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Bigfoot ?:laugh:

18. Gang-Twanger

Yeah, I guess it's a little bigger than I thought... I know it helps to keep the dispersion path clear, but I figured the Kallax was on the back wall, to the left or right of your listening spot. Well, actually, I guess that could help as well, if you free'd up some space to your left or right.

19. action pact

You are correct that the Kallax is to the left of my chair (when I'm seated), but behind it in the corner.

20. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

The sub was shaking the tubes. The magnetic cartridge in the Dual was picking up flux from the amp.

If you are hearing a difference though, I'd say it's the addition of the cubes.

21. action pact

Izzat so? We don't have any Big Boy restaurants around here... I picked that up during the summer of 2005 in Paw Paw, Michigan, while I was driving here from California.

Another element that I forgot to mention... I had a big sheet of Owens Corning 703 in a frame and wrapped with cloth behind my chair, but in a vertical position. I remounted it horizontally at the same time that the others adjustments were done.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I once moved a table in my living room and virtually no bass seemed to be coming from my sub anymore:yikes:. I was watching a David Bowie DVD when it occured to me that the new table location (not far away from where it originally was, mind you) would prolly not affect the sound in any manner. Man was I wrong ! . Put it back where it was and BOOM ! , bass was back. It would seem some waves were bouncing back under the table and not reaching my ears anymore as they used to. Incredibly enough, the table was on the opposite corner of the room originally. This thread is fantastic for room-treatment deniers:thumbsup:

action pact likes this.
  23. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Are there room-treatment deniers? I thought that was one of the few things we all agreed on?

24. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

My sister lives in Paw Paw, MI. She would rather it be the neighboring town of Lawton. It's a strange town name. Among many I guess.

On the right note, glad to hear your room improved. The air flow factor and the sub go a long way in my thinking that's why it improved.

action pact likes this.
  25. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Gear looking system!

action pact likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.