John Carpenter's "Lost Themes"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SonOfAlerik, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I just received the LP of the second album from Amazon the other day. It's a new disc, sealed. I hear a strange defect that I've never come across, but it may affect many copies, if it's a pressing error. It affects every track on both sides.

As each track ends, there's dead silence. Then, about 2 seconds before the next track begins, there's static distortion in the right channel. After the track begins, it's usually no longer audible, but sometimes can be heard through the track.

I'm exchanging the disc, hoping another copy will be better. Has anyone else had the same issue?

2. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for posting the info. I will order a copy later on today.

Insanely high? $250 isn't too bad.

3. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Comparing this with $65 for Goblin (who came all the way from Italy) and $50 to meet Carpenter at recent conventions, I'd say it was pretty high, especially given that word has it that he wasn't all that friendly.

4. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

$50 is pretty decent. Did that include stuff like an autograph and a picture?

Is the $250 VIP package just a quick meet and greet? Do you get anything else?

He doesn't seem like the friendliest of guys. I get the impression he's hard work.

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yes, the $50 at the convention allowed you an autograph. I'm not sure if a picture was more.

The $250 VIP package was a meet and greet, a custom poster (which is really about a $10 value) and a seat in the front 2 or 3 rows. Let's put it this way - they sold so few VIP tickets at that outrageous price that a few weeks before the show happened, they released the remainder of the front rows at the standard ticket price of $65 or something like that.

I might understand a $250 VIP ticket to meet an A-list celebrity musician like, I dunno, Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan? But certainly not John Carpenter.

Hexwood likes this.
  6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Strange...the second copy has exactly the same issues. It must be baked into the master.

7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like that they are rerecorded versions. At least it has something new to offer. I can't wait for this one. His band is really great.

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

The vinyl pressings of both these Lost Themes albums are awful. Off-center pressings, non-fill, sibilance. I've been through three copies of each and each seems worse than the last.

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, I only got the first one on vinyl and the non-fill was terrible. Stuck to digital for the next couple.

11. 16s

16s Forum Resident

F**k sake why can they not press things properly? Wish the labels were held accountable or at least that they gave a sh**

Do you know where these were pressed?

12. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I'm afraid I don't (I don't have the records in front of me at the moment). I'll look later. Sacred Bones, to their credit, shipped me replacement discs at no cost to me when I emailed them about the problem -- but they sounded even worse than the first copies! I was finally able to get a decent-sounding copy of Lost Themes I through Amazon (some clicks and pops early on the first side but I can live with it). No such luck with Lost Themes II yet, though.

13. 16s

16s Forum Resident

Lost Themes I through Amazon - I guess it was a different pressing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.