Carbon Fiber Brushes - are these okay to use on my records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BejittoSSJ5, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Based on no experience with the Thunderon brush, that is why i said that it seems to be less gentle.

I have used carbon brush in the past and the bristles are very smooth, so looking at those big ones on the other brush i assumed that they should be harder.

2. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

No, I have never seen it. The brushing movements that the demonstrator is making are a little too vigorous for me! I also noted when he picked the record up, it had been lying on another record??? Looks bad. That does not inspire confidence? It wouldn't be my choice. Bear in mind too, that traditional U.S. vinyl (before virgin vinyl) is harder and less easily damaged than European or Japan vinyl. Card inner sleeves never seemed to affect U.S. vinyl in the way that it scuffed up European vinyl, in my experience.

Bottom line, if it works for you and others then I am happy for you.:) To the best of my knowledge, this accessory is not available (or at least I haven't seen it) in Europe.

www.vinyllpcare.com

3. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That was an incorrect assumption.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What? Do you think these were made to clean your grill?:p

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Every carbon fiber brush I've had is pretty stiff when new. I found rapidly flipping the plastic cleaner device both directions over the brush for several minutes softens it up considerably and makes it soft and velvet like.

6. Incorrect but logical since longer and thicker bristles seem harder than thinner ones

You gave me an idea, this brush will be perfect for my bicycle :righton:

7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Sorry, but I don't find that to be logical at all. But I do hope you enjoy cleaning your bicycle.

8. Sorry, i cannot help you with that :p

Of course i do, it looks like new, it even rides better when there is no dust on.

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

That's what I use. One of those Hunt brushes. I bought a microscope but wound up giving it to a Mexican guy who was moving from my office snd had his son with him without looking at a single record. We were looking at bugs and other stuff and he got fired up. So the scope is gone.

10. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

My response is probably different than everyone else, I am not a fan of dry preening a record. Any brush or cloth will etch micro-scratches on the surface (flats) and on the upper groove wall. At first this isn't noticeable at all, but will become visible after many repetitions. Most if not all cleaning brushes are ineffective at lifting deep dirt out of the groove. We get some of it, but most of the particles are simply pushed around at 33 1/3 RPM, and abrade the groove. The dust on the brush leads one to believe the record is clean (but ticks and background noise still abound) however the particles are also driven in deeper in the groove where we can not see them. Being visual creatures, we convince ourselves the record is clean, but this is far from the truth. Even the softest brush in itself would minimize any abrasive effect, but it's the particles that abrade.

A better method of cleaning is with a humidified brush, any high quality cleaning brush. I have always recommended cleaning on a spare turntable mat on a flat table, 1/4 pass by hand only, lift the brush, knock off the dust with a butter knife type of tool, rehumidify (over steam or breathe on the brush) then do another 1/4 pass. (another 1/4 pass then another 1/4 to complete one side) This is a tedious method, but very effective. There will be less harm to the record as the pass by hand is much slower than the turntable spins (which is really too fast to have the bristles track the groove properly.. brush bristles need slower speed to clean the groove) Plus, one side is cleaned by only one revolution (in 1/4 pass increments by hand) rather than spinning around and around under a cleaning brush, causing all kinds of micro-scratches.

The best method is a record cleaning machine. This is my practice, I just take the clean record out of its new sleeve, play the record, then return it to its sleeve..... no record cleaning brush, no formality. My records remain clean and beautiful sounding for dozens of plays, or more, without any contamination issues.

Rock on,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm amazed at how much dust and dirt the Audioquest type stiff brush gets out of the grooves. It can take a few passes with a used record just purchased but imo it's worth it. I'd rather wet clean it with as much loose dirt out of the grooves as possible.

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Carbon Fiber Brushes have never damaged my records, but I have never used one either. Have done well with the DiscWasher in the past.

14. But rcms usually add static.

15. Usually my records have some dust particles after play, one play is enough, if i play a record for a dozen times without wiping it will end up like my floor. :p

Or maybe i have lots of dust in my house.

16. The FRiNgE

Partially true, Static issues usually do not occur when using manufacturer approved solutions, often expensive. The home brewed solutions can strip the record of mold release compound, which helps to control static. Record cleaning is a fine science, which most of us are not scientists... but need to be.

17. More static builds up when you continue to rotate after the machine has sucked the fluid, there is high friction between the vacuum pads and the vinyl.

No you dont need to become a scientist to enjoy music from vinyl.That is too much.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  18. The FRiNgE

Yes, :righton: but this ageless problem of record cleaning.... we can choose to ignore the background noise (which I tune out) and enjoy all the wonderful fidelity of vinyl. Attempts at getting rid of contamination and static charge are only sometimes successful, or partially successful.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  19. I have to make a video that fully explains how i clean my records and upload it on YT...

chili555 and The FRiNgE like this.
  20. Actually, it is not that complicated to make a video.

I bought a microfleece scarf and cut a 28x30 cm piece, then folded on the 28 side by 1/2, then on 30 side by 1/3 and 1/3 again so that it makes a 6 layer cloth.

With this i wipe the record after play in clockwise motion while holding it.

The secret lies in the ability of fleece that is plush and the fact that polyester will attract electrons, the result is truly amazing.

Bare in mind that it is a method that works over time, so most of the times it takes more than 3 cleaning circles for audible sonic improvement.

21. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yes, I use the Acoustech too. Works fantastic. My favorite audio accessory.

I used to have a carbon brush. I don't know if it scratched records, but it definitely shed bristle fragments, even when new. I retired it a long time ago. To test, run the brush over a sheet of white paper and examine with a a loupe. Any black lint-like pieces left on the paper are to be frowned upon.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If the brush is softer than the vinyl it is cleaning it will not scratch. If the dust particles are softer than the vinyl it will not scratch. Now, if you have sand or something like that on the record that is a different story, I would rinse that with water.

23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That's simply not true if it's done correctly.

24. The best fleece is the plush type because it is softer than microfleece.

This company American Blanket Company » sends free samples of all 3 types of fabrics.

25. So you always stop at exactly one revolution?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.