Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

I ended up getting this one from the 75th Blue Note series :( In Canada $55 USD plus the shipping MM charges would put it well over $100 to buy direct, and used it's pretty scarce. Shame, great record.

2. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Love G. Green. From a guitarist's perspective, a lot of his lines are quite simple, but he does a lot with them. I've found it pretty inspirational that he's been able to play through the changes he does, as convincingly as he does, using relatively simple lines. A lot of guitarists, me included, abhor the notion of "enough is as good as a feast". Not GG. Great "feel" player.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm considering it. I don't mind digitally sourced LPs if done well and the $20 price at the site you listed is a solid deal.

4. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

I haven't heard that title, but I have two 75ths, and I think they're acceptable for the price you pay.

The MMs just sound better overall. Livelier, mainly. The 75ths, IMO, are a bit subdued but detailed and dynamic.

I have a few King copies and I would say that they are similar in their "attack" to the 75ths, but warmer and more vintage - thereby more desirable.

Blender likes this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Of course they are and I buy them for friends who don't care about the best sound. Personally I'd rather pay more to get more, otherwise having it on vinyl is a waste of shelf space. The XRCDs sound better than the 75ths, to me at least. Though at $20, I'm curious how Heavenly Sweetness issues compare to the similiarly priced 75ths.

6. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

:laughup: :biglaugh:

7. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

They have done this for several titles.

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

He reminds me of a horn player, in that he plays single notes rather than chords in his solos. He's like the Charlie Parker of the guitar. It's how I play, too, though I'm a hobbyist; it's approachable to me as a guitarist and gives me some inspiration, something to reach for in my own playing.

rxcory and mikeyt like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They have, but query whether that will continue now with the last series having been announced. They might just run down current inventory.

10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong, who knows what the heck they will do next. Just pointing out that it wasn't outrageous or unprecedented.

mikeyt and Gabe Walters like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Though Green tends to be more sparse in his playing, leaving more space. Parker was full on in filling the space with notes. Green was often more suggestive. But they both had an acute sense of rhythm, and could impart a swing with their phrasing.

2xUeL likes this.
  12. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Prior to this newest BN reissue, I purchased the Heavenly Sweetness version after also failing six times to secure a Liberty copy from eBay at a reasonable price. I also picked up the CD used earlier. I wanted the record because of 1) Sheila Jordan and 2) the uniqueness of this BN original issue. The HS version is fine, no problems, while its source is a 96kHz/24bit file from BN's current owner. While I have to admit that I listen to this type of jazz very little, usually at night on a road trip with my wife who dislikes hard bop. As far as the best sounding "affordable" copy, likely a clean Liberty repress while I have not heard one. I would say "affordable" in quotes because I was the second bidder all six times. And I kept raising my minimum price. At a certain point, in frustration, I purchased the CD for $5.00 instead. Then I popped into a used record shop in Portland, OR, saw the sealed HS copy for just over $20, and snagged it,

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

How does the HS issue compare to the new BN?

14. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Yes they have. So happy to have paid MM $60 each for Moanin' and Maiden Voyage a few months back since it was the LAST CHANCE! They were back at $39.99 weeks later. I'll wait for that to happen again for a few of these.

alanb, AnalogJ and scotth like this.
  15. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Do not know. But my HS releases are quite good, compared to US Universal BN releases in general, IMHO. Both sourced from 96/24 files, based on what I have read.

16. AnalogJ

I think, at the very least, the quality control is reportedly better on the HS reissues compared to the US BN reissues. HS is working with a digital file cut directly from the original master tapes.

17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Do either of you have any experiences/comments/opinions regarding the Blue Note reissues from Elemental Music? I was considering picking up this one.

I'm in the same camp as someone (EDIT: mikeyt) who previously mentioned that they don't bother wasting money and shelf space on the BN 75th Anniversary reissues. I have nearly all Blue Note recordings in lossless FLAC format, ripped from my CDs. I don't find the 75th series any better and in some cases worse than CDs or CD rips. But if the HS and Elemental reissues are better, they might be worth considering.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    rxcory and mikeyt like this.
  18. AnalogJ

I don't know the Elemental reissues. But I'd say, try one or two of the HS for the heck of it. While you're on the Light In The Attic website, browse their stock, including their own releases. The 2LP release of Willie Nelson's Teatro sounds great (and is a terrific album). I also have their first album reissue of Rodriguez.

19. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

So is the make-your-own 45 subscription over? Or do you think maybe if I email them with a list of 8 45s that I want, they'll throw in a 33 for free?

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I thought that was the new deal?

21. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Yes,, according to a reply MM made on this FB post (Music Matters Jazz - Timeline | Facebook »)

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that with the onslaught of new subscriptions, it has become clear since yesterday that we need to end the multiple month version of the "build your own" subscription. The good news is that we can still honor the get 1 free black 33 if you order 8 45s - it does mean buying them all at once, which makes it tougher for folks with a monthly budget, but the 45 promotion has been so popular that we want to continue to offer the basics of it for our loyal buyers.

PauGasmall likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Plus, it was probably pressed by those hacks at United.

Eigenvector and FashionBoy like this.
  23. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I'm with you there. I have some CDs and a digitally mastered LP of the same. I do prefer the LP every time but then my record playing front end cost more than twice as much as the CD front end.

24. David Ellis

If you can get them the best digitally sourced LPs I have come across are from Elemental who I think are in Paris. I have a couple of Wayne Shorter's and they are excellent. I recently got a couple of the BNs, Mode For Joe and Speak Like A child, and they are, to me, a disappointment after HS, Elemental, and Atlantic/Rhino.
    The Wayne Shorter Elemental LPs are Adam's Apple and Night Dreamer.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    mikeyt likes this.
  25. David Ellis

I'd definitely go for the Elemental as you can see from my post. For me they're about £20 delivered and I just can't justify the extra for the MMs unless they are all that's available (thus I have Juju and Soothsayer 45s on order).