Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

[​IMG]

These are actually mine (Sorry about the smaller image... Having trouble uploading the full-size picture). The one in that other shot without the grill is from Google. I grabbed it because it shows the driver configuration, which actually works really-well with the old-school, analog-recorded soundstage of '60's and early '70's music.

But yes, they certainly are a bit large, but hey, so are Altecs/VOTT's, not to mention a lot of modern speakers. I like 'em though. They do certain things that I just don't hear from other speakers. And they make Johnny B. Goode sound like the bee's knees.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    SandAndGlass and Donniej like this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Rock vs. classic requires two different turntables if you want to do each right.

MaxxMaxx4 and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  3. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Yeah I knew that. It's nice when you can afford that for sure. I recently 're-entered' the world of vinyl after 3 decades of CD only. There is an amazing sale going on in my local second hand record store and now I have phenomenal classical albums, each for 1 CAD. Crazy luck. My husband on the other hand, has a large collection of rock LPs, thousands of them, he never gave up vinyl. He has his TT and special amps etc....and I do not feel comfortable using his gear, don't need that stress.
    I invested 200 bucks in a vintage Technics TT and an Onkyo Servo Integrated Amp. Got a new cartridge for 150. It sounds quite nice, even though it's nothing fancy or expensive. Thankfully the 350 + LPs that I got are pristine, near mint, so that helps of course. :tiphat:

Tim 2, Monsieur Gadbois and Donniej like this.
  4. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

I like the look of those - what are those speakers?

5. I've heard people say this on occasion over the nearly 5 decades I've been playing vinyl, but I don't buy into this at all. If this were fact then TT manufacturers would be marketing their tables according to music genre.

Quake1028, royzak2000, BD2665 and 8 others like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Speakers are Usher S520. Fairly inexpensive monitors with fantastic fit & finish. Sound was good for a sub $500 a pair speaker.

I loved loved loved the color of these.

BlackPearl and action pact like this.
  7. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I suspect those big Wharfedales were only made for the American market - I don't remember anything like that in the UK.
    A query was raised about them recently on the Naim Audio forum but none of the Brits seemed to know anything.
    Biggest we got was the E70 and E90 in the 1970s.

8. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Thanks - I have a black and gold listening room/office they might be perfect for! (Ex-Pittsburgher)

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

I grew up in Pittsburgh (Penn Hills really) and still love the black and gold. Still a big Pirates fan.

Two daughters graduated from Purdue University here in Indiana so I still live with black and gold!

[​IMG]

npc210 and Rupe33 like this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

They DO. But since most manufactures don't want to lose market share you won't hear about it here.
    Stop by here some day and i'll change your preconceived ideal's. Your only a few hundred clicks away.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  11. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I Googled Vandersteen to see them w/ the grills on. That Belgian model Jessica Van Der Steen is a good looking lady. (careful)

timind likes this.
  12. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

Such great sounding speakers for the money! :righton:

timind likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

If you really want to do each right, it requires two separate houses.

14. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Yup. Good call. The W*0 series was created for the US/North American market, as they felt US customers wanted a bit more bass than what their European designs had to offer (Even though it did make it's way to the Far East and I believe Australia and maybe a few other areas, the W*0 series was never sold in the UK/Western Europe as far as I know). The larger models used a thick, sand-filled rear panel, a construction technique borrowed from the SFB3. The W*0 series started with the W60, a large bookshelf speaker (named to commemorate the year of it's introduction) with a 12.5" alnico woofer and cone-tweeter that was a variation of the Super 5 that was used in the W2 (introduced in 1959 along with the W3 and W4). The W60 used a variation of Wharfedale's standard alnico W12 woofer. I believe the W50 came next (a bit smaller than the W60, only on the market for a very-short time, so quite-rare), and the W70 (a 12" 3-way with a larger cab) came a short time after that. There was a W40 as well, basically like it sounds, but the largest of the bunch was the dual 3-way W90, which to the best of my knowledge was introduced in 1962.

The first W90 version looked like the one below and had alnico drivers throughout. The earliest ones had both the tweeters AND mids free-air-mounted, so no mini-baffle like the ones in that picture with the grill off (My guess is, that one was sold in 1964... With mine, the mids are mounted the same way the tweeters are, just kind of suspended there... Amazing drivers, those 5" mids, and that alnico Super 3 tweeter... The Super 3's in my W90's look like the gold ones in that other picture from like two pages ago... Basically their early 1960's Super 3, same as in the early Airedales as well as the SFB3's from the early '60's... Such a great tweeter).

Anyway, this was the original W90. With a pair of these, you can literally hear a recording being mixed right in front of you (I hear the engineer adjusting the levels of various instruments/vocals and basically trying to bring everything into focus... I never noticed that sort of thing until I got the W90's).
    [​IMG]

Here's the first model of that series, the W60, named to commemorate the year of it's introduction (I'm sure sberger won't mind me using a shot of one of his W60's, which are the original ported alnico 2-way version). Like it's larger brethren from the early 1960's, the original W60 had a sand-filled rear panel that eliminated backwaves and helped to control resonances. This was a big part of that original W*0 series.
    [​IMG]

And here's the W70, which I believe was introduced in late 1960 (The earliest listing I've seen was a magazine ad in November, 1960). A front-ported, alnico-loaded 3-way with a 12" woofer, an 8" midwoofer, and an alnico Super 3 cone-tweeter. I always liked the look of this model.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  15. I've owned at least a half dozen brands of TT's and my time with them tells me that this is not a preconceived notion, but rather real world experience. I fully respect your opposing view, but as I said...I just don't buy into it. It's an interesting point of discussion though...maybe you should start a thread.

16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Ha-ha good one, but it doesn't have much to do with why turntables sound so much different from each other and why one is much better for certain types of music than others.
    I also respect your opinion but I suppose our "real world experiences " are quite different as I hear very different things from different tables.
    I've been lucky enough to be a member of a great audio club and have likely heard and experimented with close to 50 TT's, owned a dozen or more myself. No two sound the same, all have virtues and weaknesses in one area or another.
    There's been quite a few threads on this topic so I don't know if another would be practical, if you'd like to start one I'd be happy to try and find something useful to add. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
    MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  17. Love those yellow speakers. Who makes them?? Or did you do a paint job??

18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

One church and one garage.

jon9091 and timind like this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Usher S520. They also came in Ferrari Red as well as more traditional finishes.

20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Wow, I remember these from the 70's, I played in many rock clubs using these for our PA system.

21. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That little Teac is a great performer. Very musical. We bought it with a pair of Tannoy speakers, and that is a really good combination for the price. The Teac has been sort of retired because my wife wanted my Pathos Classic One (for its looks) in the living room when I upgraded gear in the listening room. The Teac's CD drive and manual volume control have pretty much died, but the remote control works, and we're keeping it in case we need an extra amp sometime.

22. houdini_blues

houdini_blues Forum Resident

Hi all, spent all day yesterday pouring over everyone elses systems and had to join in myself!

Only photos I've taken of my setup, the pics are a few months old now so some bits have changed:
    Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers
    NAD C356BEE amp
    Pro-Ject Audio 2Xperience SB DC pictured with Ortofon 2M Silver (Now have my Dynavector 10x5 mounted on it)
    Dynavector P-100 Phono stage (was a loaner from work, replaced with Well Tempered Labs RIAA Phono Stage)
    not pictured:
    Meridian Explorer 2 DAC (with Kimber USB Mini Bus CU, Kimber GQ Mini CU 2.5mm --> RCA cable)
    Kimber 4PR speaker cable
    Kimber Tonik RCA interconnect
    Gigabyte Brix running Linux for spotify/youtube/netflix/whatever

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JUCO, barfko, BluTorch and 28 others like this.
  23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Eh... I think separate cartridges will probably get you most of the way there.

Robert C likes this.
  24. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

25. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

I've had my eye on that CCCP book for a while...

thxphotog likes this.