what do you think of open baffle speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sunrayjack, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

The big sell is the complete lack of resonances, right? All they have to do is make a rigid baffle. The DQ10's are clearly-influenced by the OB concept, but they also seem to be influenced by the two-tier/multi-tier concept, kind of like my speakers, only the DQ10's have much less enclosure. With most speakers, I assume it's mostly a matter of controlling the woofer resonances in those. Wharfedale was big on eliminating resonances. They used sand in the SFB3 (in the baffle) as well as the later, US-marketed W*0 models (in the rear baffle behind each woofer). It was an essential part of their design-philosophy for decades, and it works extremely-well apparently.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Is anyone using a speaker system that consists of just one driver? If so, does it use a crossover of any kind?

I put together a Parts Express ported cab with a Lanzar OPTI1028 Opti-Drive Pro Series 10-Inch Coaxial Full Range speaker and it kicks. I'm pushing it with a small 150 watt amp bridged for 300 watts and an ART 351 EQ on the front end. I like the EQ cause it has hi and lo pass pots that I can tailor for the volume level.

I now wonder what another cabinet with the same speaker would sound like in my stereo system.

Bye-Bye Heresy's? :shh:

3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

My speakers are single drivers, though not in Open Baffles. I have a pair of Omega Loudspeakers RS7. There is no crossover, nor caps and/or resistors to break the frequencies up. IMO they are much smoother throughout the frequency range and image better than a coaxial or any other multi-driver speakers that I've personally heard. They are also super easy to drive (I use both a 2 watt and 6 watt Decware amps) at 95dB @ 8 ohms and with no crossover the first watt theory applies here in spades and downline system changes such as tube rolling, cable changes, etc. are very easy to spot.

The downside of single drivers is that that they do not put out the spl's or bass of the 10" driver that you're using or other multi driver speaker types (unless they are augmented with a sub or an expensive/elaborate cabinet design). I use a sub to augment mine. If you listen from low to moderately loud the single drivers are pretty awesome and imaging is their strongest point IMO, but they can't compete with horns or multi-drivers if you want to blast them.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I like single drivers, but you're not going to get the high end extension to reveal the content most audio media can offer.

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Both the Omega Super AlNiCo XRS and RS7 are rated up to 20 kHz, which is definitely not as high as some, but are of similar range to other popular speakers (for example a pair of Harbeth 30.1). I can't hear much of anything above 17 kHz anyways ~ so even for speakers that go higher such as the ATC SCM100 which is rated up to 22 KHz (cool speaker by the way IMO) I can't tell the difference in the highs, I can only tell the difference with the imaging and coherency (which IMO is better with a properly designed single driver). I'm an imaging freak so they suit me fine, but I agree that single drivers are definitely not a jack of all trades speaker though.

sunrayjack likes this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Rated up to 20k at what kind of an output, 10DB down?

7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I don't know much about OB's, I've only built a low cost (cheap), pair of folded wing OB's using the Betsy drivers. Even those had charms with tubes and Jazz. I'd love to hear some high end, well built OB's.

sunrayjack likes this.
  8. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Is there a basic DIY open baffle that is easy to build and maybe experiment with? Can standard drivers work, if I have a old set of ported 3-ways sitting around can the drivers be repurposed and have good sound quality?

9. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

Spatial Audio M3 and M4s have been getting some love around the web! I'd love to hear some. I didn't realize open baffles needed a bigger room...

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I highly doubt it, a ported driver's suspension, ( just like a sealed box one's) is designed with a certain amount of compliance to react to the expected air pressure differences that it would see in the ported enclosure, in an open baffle that driver would react very differently. YMMV.

11. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Check out this website for reasonable OBs. A member of our Audio Club has built a pair and all of the above adjectives apply. Happy hunting.

Hawthorne Audio - »

Bill

12. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Many thanks!

13. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Are these floor speakers or were they designed to be mounted on walls? I've seen a few different types of wall mounted speakers back in the early 60's. None of this quality though. Two of my uncles had Magnavox wall mounts for use as external speakers back then. They were pretty units; stereo in one box.

14. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Looking at one of the drivers on this site, Silver Iris OB 15" Coaxial, it states the spec sheet is located at Parts Express. Odd, I think? Are Parts Express drivers worthy components?

15. Descartridge

Descartridge Forum Resident

I have the Emerald Physics EP3 and Emerald Physics CS3 MK2. With a subwoofer and electronic crossover, the sound from this setup of EPs seems to be live.
    Yes, with a fine subwoofer and a Behringer crossover, the sound appears to be live. Here are 2 pairs of EPs that I have.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers » Try the Betsy drivers, easy to build and inexpensive. Good sound.

BuddhaBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.