Twilight Time Announces November & December Blu ray Titles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Posted by Mike Finnegan on Aug 22nd 2016

For the holidays, Twilight Time rings dem Blu-ray bells offering 11 new 1080p high-definition offerings populated by award-winning stars (two Oscar®-winning performances in particular) and crafted by esteemed directors, including memorable adaptations of literary classics, plus subversive, distinctively different thrillers, a pair of idiosyncratic and iconic comedies, a long-awaited missing link in the Ray Harryhausen Blu-ray fantasy collection and gorgeous musical soundtracks by great composers supporting them all.

Coming November 8 are: The Boston Strangler (1968), starring Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda and George Kennedy, directed by Richard Fleischer, score by Lionel Newman; Gran Bollito aka Black Journal (1977), starring Shelley Winters, Max von Sydow and Laura Antonelli, directed by Mauro Bolognini, score by Enzo Jannacci, in Italian with English subtitles; I Want to Live! (1958), starring Best Actress Academy Award® winner Susan Hayward, Simon Oakland and Theodore Bikel, directed by Robert Wise, score by Johnny Mandel; Moby Dick (1956), starring Gregory Peck, Richard Basehart and Leo Genn, directed by John Huston, score by Philip Sainton; Moscow On The Hudson (1984), starring Robin Williams, Alejandro Rey and Maria Conchita Alsono, directed by Paul Mazursky, score by David McHugh; and Pretty Poison (1968), starring Anthony Perkins, Tuesday Weld and Beverly Garland, directed by Noel Black, score by Mandel.

2. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

The Ray Harryhausen title in question is THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER, which is not mentioned here. Looking forward to that one!

Also interested to see what was done with John Huston's MOBY DICK. Supposedly, recent DVD and Blu releases overseas don't have the proper muted color scheme that Huston intended. Fingers crossed that the color will be correct on this release!

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

I'm sorry...I forgot to look further :

"
    Coming December 13 are: The Barefoot Contessa (1954), starring Humphrey Bogart, Ava Gardner and Best Supporting Actor Academy Award® winner Edmond O’Brien, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, score by Mario Nascimbene; The Keys of the Kingdom (1944), starring Gregory Peck, Thomas Mitchell and Vincent Price, directed by John M. Stahl, score by Alfred Newman; Nicholas Nickleby (2002), starring Charlie Hunnam, Christopher Plummer and Anne Hathaway, directed by Douglas McGrath, score by Rachel Portman; Stardust Memories (1980), starring Woody Allen, Charlotte Rampling and Jessica Harper, directed by Allen, score arranged by Dick Hyman; and The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960), starring Kerwin Matthews, Jo Morrow and June Thorburn, directed by Jack Sher, special visual effects created by Ray Harryhausen, score by Bernard Herrmann. Details of each release will follow in the coming months. "

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Interested in Moscow on the Hudson & upcoming title w/ effects by Ray Harryhausen!

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why does Woody Allen block others from doing commentary tracks on movies he directed?

I'm sure every participant would agree to avoid the Sun-Yi/Farrow stuff.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Boston Strangler and Pretty Poison sound tempting, although I already have the dvd for the latter.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He has said before that he feels the films should speak for themselves. By the same token, he's said many times that once he's released a film, he never, ever goes back and watches it again. On the rare occasions where he has, he says all he sees are the mistakes and all the elements that he wishes he could change... only the film can no longer be changed.

Simon A likes this.
  8. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I guess he's never chatted with George Lucas? ;)

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

As far as I know, Lucas has never provided narration for his films, either, but he has sometimes participated in the documentaries. I would bet he never does it again, now that he's retired. It's a shame, because he has a very sharp mind and has vivid memories of exactly what happened on certain shooting days. He kept me entertained on what happened the day of the trash-compacting scene in Star Wars, because DP Gil Taylor was ill that day and Lucas lit the scene himself. I had to bow to George's instructions that the only light in the scene was the red bulb in the back over the metal door, so that's how we approached the color on that sequence.

Matt Richardson and Simon A like this.
  10. SoundAdvice

I"m fine with Woody not watching his old movies. I think Soon-Yi went as far as saying she's never seen "Annie Hall".

I'm asking why others who worked on the movie or even a 3rd party can't talk about the movie. Twilight Time did a 3rd party commentary track on Woody's "Interiors" because he wasn't the director.

11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

My joke was in reference to your line "he says all he sees are the mistakes and all the elements that he wishes he could change... only the film can no longer be changed."

It started innocently enough with an added sunset to AMERICAN GRAFFITI, and kinda started going out of control after that...

But cool anecdote, though. Thanks for sharing!

12. Ridley Scott would beg to differ. ;)

13. Well that's odd because he IS credited as the director.

14. Damn another expensive month!

15. SoundAdvice

The Front Blu-ray »

Title mix up. The Front blu ray on Twilight Time is likely the only Woody centric commentary track allowed.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Woody Allen is not Ridley Scott. Many directors are more than happy to reminisce about a production years after it finished. I seem to recall Michael Mann does this as well, as has John Carpenter and Jim Cameron, to name just a few.

Directed by Martin Ritt, not by Allen.

Simon A likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, Lucas started making changes to Star Wars before 1980. And I think there are at least a dozen sound remixes and re-edits. It's only in the late 1990s that the digital alterations became more extensive. And there's a whole separate thread about that elsewhere.

Simon A likes this.
  18. I was talking more about him revisiting Blade Runner, etc. after they were " finished" to clean up the I perfcrions.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, there was a lot of new color correction and some CG dropped in to replace 1982 visual effects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.