Upgrade-itis : When do you stop?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Indeed, I like thinking about and exploring equipment. I find it relaxing and rewarding. What more can you ask of a hobby?

mds and Metralla like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Sorry guy i call 'em like i hear 'em. it takes time and lots of recordings to really flesh out a speaker's characteristics, especially these because they come off very pleasant at first listen.
    If you want to think about ending upgrading this is the first place to attack. Your amp outclasses them by a country mile.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I stopped when upgrades just sounded different but not necessarily better, and I realized I already had the equipment that produced the sound I was happiest with.

This won't happen to anyone who sells their current equipment to finance the new stuff. You have to keep the old stuff so you can understand/compare what differences the new stuff makes. :)

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

To answer the original question- for me I stop when I no longer hear a predominant amount of anything that distracts or irritates.
    Among the reasons I have upgraded-

Veiled, cloudy sound (distracting and irritating)
    Too much bass
    Metallic treble
    Harshness
    Distortion

When I frequently heard those characteristics, I felt the need to upgrade.
    I would like to upgrade to improve dynamics and bass impact, but since the sound is not distracting from the music or irritating, I consider that a luxury upgrade, not a necessity. Just some examples.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

So I've noticed!!!!

However your upgraditis has helped me out, and I must thank you. Your postings about that Luxman receiver you had a while back piqued my interest in the brand and lead me to purchasing a Luxman L-85v integrated amp, It's a real beauty with great sonics.

SandAndGlass, cobbler and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

It's a problem when the upgrades become an obsession.

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm more into tweaking the system at this point.

However I do have a potential dilemma. I'm looking at vacation homes and the question is whether I move my current gear there and start from scratch in my primary home or if I should just buy something simple for the new place. Decisions, decisions.

8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Some actually stop??

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Marshall Stanmore.

10. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

when the money or space runs out or filled up.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. sunrayjack

very,very well put.

12. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

Luxman made great gear, for sure. I loved my 1050

13. sunrayjack

I can't ,the shock wave from the A7's killed them.

14. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Remember when you heard your first really good stereo (someone else's) play some awesome record? For me it was early 70s. DSOTM was just out I don't recall the exact system, but I know it was a Goldring cart and some massive Speakerlab home mades. I stopped upgrading when I recaptured that experience. I know others can point out nuanced differences between what I got and throw all kinds of terms at me that make me feel as if we are talking about wine, but for me when you get to the point where you slap on music you really love and it just grabs you...that's when you SHOULD stop upgrading. I know I am new in my relationship with my system, but so far I am, at least for me, there and would rather spend any available funds on records. I will say on the subject of speakers, I listened to a lot of highly praised speakers...Maggies, Revels, Paradigms, Tritons, Klipsch, etc. I ended up going with Pendragons. Posters here seem to love them or hate them. I can't imagine anything else.

15. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

16. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

My solution for the cottage was a simple system; Advent 300 receiver, CDP and some nice, efficient speakers. If I ever decided to add a turntable the phono stage is excellent as well. Minimum footprint, maximum enj0yment and zero hassle.

17. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

When I finally got to that point where I had a great soundstage, a nice, flat response with great dynamics and no muddiness or cloudiness, I finally kicked back and decided to enjoy it a while. I was able to refine things A LOT with placement adjustments. Right now, I'm thinking about upgrading to a nicer DAC, plus I want to refine my phono rig a bit (more of a learning curve thing than anything else), but things could definitely be a lot worse, that's for sure.

18. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

For me it's becoming the wrath of the girlfriend. I've been bringing things in and she's aware of them but I know what she's thinking. I've been pleasantly surprised how she's been giving her opinions on how my changes are sounding and she brings a lot of good points.

I'm not sure it's so much about the money I spend but rather the space. I have way too much stuff and room is getting tight for a 2200 square foot home. It haunts me at night, wondering what I am to do as I get older, and I'm getting there. I don't see me living in a larger home forever. I sometimes try to whittle components down to just one system but that means I have to get rid of the others. I've already let go of some really nice classic receivers, amps and speakers which still bother me.

I'm even thinking about setting something up at my GF's daughters place but she tends to have OCD so it would probably blow her mind.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

I stopped upgrading when I bought my amps 3 years ago. VTL TL55 Pre and VTL ST85 Power.

I now listen to the music not the equipment.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I have found that going to audio shows can be either a blessing or a curse. If you have a system that is pretty well dialed in, you might find that to get something that sounds significantly better to you will cost far more than you are willing to spend. OTOH, you might find the opposite :laugh:

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Occasionally changing pieces of audio equipment and experimenting with different sounds is what keeps me interested in this great hobby.

22. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Can I pick both?

Over the last year I've dedicated more time and money to another hobby. When I come back to listen at home it sounds amazing and I wonder why I would want to upgrade it. The cost for the next upgrade (speakers) just doesn't appeal to me. My advice, take some time away from your system. It will probably sound fabulous when you return.

24. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

From another standpoint; my 22 year old stepson has moved back in with us and is going to uni full time. Any interest I might have had in attending to upgradeitis is gone out the window for at least three years. Ah well, I've had a good run the past couple of years.

timind likes this.
  25. mds

mds Forum Resident

Agreed. I believe that the majority limit their upgrade-itis due to financial constraints - hence the equipment to upgrade reaches a point that the expenditure to gain a significant sound upgrade can't be swung any longer or the room in which the equipment is played has limits that can't handle bigger and so called better equipment (I realize that bigger is not better but many don't agree), hence I can't afford to move so I can purchase those KEF Blades that need a much larger room than my tiny 11 x 15 listening room can accommodate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.