Good deals on Amazon.co.uk--updated regularly (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by superstar19, Oct 15, 2014.

1. VinylSteals

VinylSteals Forum Resident

black sheriff likes this.
  2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

3. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yep, $78-ish to the USA worth pulling the trigger on this one. Memo to file, email Rhino upon receipt regarding the two apparently defective discs.

4. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Cool, another SHF impulse buy! I'll have to read up on the potentially defective discs.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I can't believe they've started using UPS. Cost me $26.62 in brokerage fees and duty. Never happened when they used the mail. Wiped out a big chunk of the savings.

6. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

yes. Not a fan, Just had a similar situation. $25 gone. I don't 'mind' the taxes but I do mind the brokerage fees.

7. Dennis Metz

Crazy. I haven't paid duty/tax on anything from the UK or the US in years. At least it arrived safely:cheers:

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    jupiter8 and black sheriff like this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

10. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

That Eva Cassidy set is a steal!

Bob F and Mr. H like this.
  11. Dennis Metz

black sheriff likes this.
  12. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

A few years ago someone posted that to avoid Amazon's use of UPS, one should add "Null" to the P.O. Box section of their address information.

I did so, and am happy to report I have not experienced any UPS shipments from Amazon UK (or any other Amazon) since.

13. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

I just checked my UK account and there is no P.O. Box section, only a Security Access Code For apartments and flats or a second optional address line 2; P.O Box should be indicated in the main address line 1.
    UPS recently charged me a $10 brokerage fee for $5 duty charges.

14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

15. Dennis Metz

It's crazy and shipments from the UK go through the US

greenman likes this.
  16. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

How can you avoid paying taxes from Amazon.com? Unless it is under a certain amount the tax/duty calculation is automatic and part of the total cost including shipping.

17. Dennis Metz

You can't. :cheers:

18. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

smartiepants likes this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's Region 0 (unlocked) so it will play on a universal standalone player with compatible TV.

Alternately, you can play it on any PC.

Tjazz and Dennis Metz like this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yup like Dennis said, you can't. Annoying feature for sure. I preferred taking my chances with the post office. This policy, plus the exchange rate plus the shipping costs means I don't buy from .com these days unfortunately. There is some respite in that Amazon.com only tacks on the tax/duty if you're buying directly from them. If your purchase is from a third party seller you just get a message saying you may have to pay but nothing is added automatically.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I've learned years ago to bypass Amazon.com in favour of the Marketplace sellers. I'm actually also doing this more and more with Amazon.ca because their service has become so bad that it's easier and cheaper to deal with the handful of trusted sellers I've been buying from over the last ten years.

22. VinylSteals

VinylSteals Forum Resident

23. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

My apologies for the error in my earlier post. You are correct; there is no "P.O. Box" field under the address section of Amazon's website.

Looking more closely at my Amazon address information, I notice that in my 'Address Line 1' field I have typed in "P.O. Box Null"; in my 'Address Line 2' field I have typed in my house number and street. This is what you need to change in your address fields.

For whatever reason it has prevented Amazon UK from choosing UPS as the shipping agent for my packages...and has for the last few years. Because of the "P.O. Box Null", Amazon defaults to Royal Mail or DHL for my shipments to Canada every time, and never UPS. AND - more importantly - these DHL/Royal Mail shipments always manage to slip through customs cleanly; I never have to pay customs charges/duty :)

Whoever it was that recommended the simple addition of "P.O. Box Null" to Address Line 1, I am eternally grateful.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  24. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

And I'm eternally grateful to YOU ptijerm.

ptijerm likes this.
  25. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

LOL...don't mention it; happy to help a fellow Canuck and Hoffmanite out.

Here's to future duty-free shipments from Amazon UK/DE/FR/IT!
    :cheers: