POLL: Which actor(s) considered for James Bond would you have liked to see play the role?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe this CR was intended as a pilot for a series to star Barry Nelson as a light-hearted spy, in the tradition of The Thin Man movie series with William Powell.

There was no attempt to portray the Bond of the books. TPTB simply bought IF's novel for its section dealing with a card game (easy to shoot on a TV budget) in exotic Monte Carlo.

I believe Fleming himself got involved in another attempt at a Bond TV series (more faithful to the original character) a year or two later.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bradley Cooper...

barnaby likes this.
  3. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Roger Moore was 86 and a half when filming started on A View to a Kill.

MidnightRocks likes this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And he was a crappy Bond at any age.

Jupiter and zebop like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This is a lie. Moore was only 86 and 3 months! :laugh:

zebop likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Moore or less. :)

7. alexpop

Who wouldn't you like to see play James Bond ???

8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Michael Caine could have been a great Bond, IMO (he was considered for the role in 1967)

EdgardV and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

The names Cain, Michael Cain.

delmonaco likes this.
  10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Sam Neill
    Clive Owen

11. JozefK

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/18/burt-reynolds-regrets-turning-down-james-bond-role

Burt Reynolds says he regrets turning down the role of James Bond in 1970.

Appearing on the TV show Good Morning America to promote his new autobiography, But Enough About Me, the actor said he was offered the chance to take over from George Lazenby after the Australian actor quit the Bond series following his debut in On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1969.

"I think I could have done it well", said Reynolds, who at the time he was offered the 007 role was a relatively unknown actor. His breakout role was in Deliverance in 1972. "In my stupidity, I said, 'An American can't play James Bond, it has to be an Englishman Bond, James Bond. Nah, I can't do it.' Oops. Yeah, I could have done it."

12. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

One American who would have been great in the role was Ralph Meeker. Meeker as Mike Hammer in "Kiss Me Deadly" is the ultimate film noir.

If Daniel Day-Lewis can play Abraham Lincoln, the a Yank can play a British spy.

13. JozefK

If you forget about the accent/Britishness, the actor who always struck me as a potentially great Bond was James Coburn

14. alexpop

Steve McQueen would have been cool.

15. JozefK

He's a working class guy - he was completely out of place in Thomas Crown

The whole point of Bond is that he's a Philip Marlowe who is also at home among the jet set

James Coburn would fit in there

16. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Sean Connery defined BOND for me.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Same height as D Craig.

18. alexpop

Terry Stamp and Cary Grant equal in the poll. Who knew.

Here's me thinking Jason Statham had a chance. :)

19. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Rod Taylor.
    Australia's one attempt at Bond was not a great success (although OHMSS is a great film), it would have been nice to se an actual Aussie actor have a go instead of model with no acting experience.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Rod would have made a good Bond, rough tough with good table manners.

21. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Either way, that was the problem... he was not a number! ;-)

22. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Cary Grant

Notorious (1946) T. R. Devlin -> James Bond

[​IMG]

Richard--W and alexpop like this.
  23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I can't help thinking that Notorious (1946) influenced Ian Fleming as much as The Small Back Room (1949) in developing Bond. Cary Grant essentially plays Bond in three films -- Notorious (1946), To Catch a Thief (1954) and North By Northwest (1959).

I would like to have seen what John Payne did with Bond in the 1950s when he optioned Moonraker. Payne was a seriously good actor, an actor who dug much deeper into a role than most of his contemporaries. He was fit, masculine, ruggedly handsome, supremely confident yet vulnerable, and a developed a certain pathos as he matured. He would have been a very interesting Bond indeed.

The nest ... nope.

Clive Owen instead of Craig, but Craig's scripts were beneath contempt, and I'm glad Owen wasn't saddled with them.

24. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Anyone British....with the exception of Cary Grant.
    I cant stand the public school upper crust types this role seemed to attract though.
    Its why Connery was so well received. Moores were well liked because more things blew up.

25. JozefK

Lewis Collins - Wikipedia »

In the same period he was writing songs with Mike at the McCartney home, and when drummer Pete Best was dropped from The Beatles Mike McCartney suggested Collins as a possible replacement, to band member and his elder brother Paul McCartney. Turning down the option of an audition with The Beatles, Collins continued playing music on an amateur basis for a number of local bands, including The Eyes and The Georgians. In late 1964 Collins quit hairdressing to become the bass player with The Mojos (which his father managed), performing on their charting singles "Goodbye Dolly Gray" and "Until My Baby Comes Home", and relocated from Liverpool to London with them when the band appeared to have a bright future. However the band failed to chart again and broke up​

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.