Sheryl Crow working on two new albums (for 2017 and beyond?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

From BILLBOARD:

Crow Is Cancer-Free And Very Busy

Sheryl Crow’s next album will have some heavy hitters on it. The rocker, 54, appeared in downtown Los Angeles on Aug. 5 at the BlogHer16 conference, where she told the crowd that after being treated for breast cancer in 2006, she has been free of the disease for 10 years. Crow, who last released an album in 2013, also told Overheard that she is in the process of recording a new album at her home studio in Nashville that is “inspired by the people who have inspired me since I was a kid.” Among the guest stars: “Stevie Nicks, who is a dear friend,” and “Keith Richards, who is an inspired and amazing human being.” Crow expects the record to be out next spring. She also is about to begin work on another album with songwriter-producer Jeff Trott, who wrote some of her biggest hits, including “My Favorite Mistake.” "If It Makes You Happy," "Soak Up The Sun" and "Every Day Is A Winding Road."

2. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

wonder if she will include a tune inspired by kevin gilbert. owe's it to him to keep his name alive.

t-man 54 and painted8 like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Uh...yeah...if owing it to people were a guiding force in her life...things would have unfolded differently...

LivingForever likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

From Jeff Trott's Facebook page:

Today I started Pre production for the new Sheryl Crow record. We listened to everything we've written in the last year and are pleased to discover that most of the songs have more of the spirit of the early Sheryl records. More greasy rock stuff like the 2nd self titled record. I really think her fans will appreciate this direction.

5. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Since it's Forum-despised Sheryl Crow I'm waiting with bated breath for the negative comments roll in. Can't wait.

6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I loved her first 3 albums and didn't care much for anything that followed.
    A return to the style of the 2nd album sounds good to me, that was always my favourite.

7. pghmusiclover

I'm not sure why Sheryl triggers such negativity here?

8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Sheryl has made plenty of great music, and some not so great (just my opinion).
    I had no idea she was so despised.
    When she's great, she's really great!

9. pghmusiclover

I agree! What's funny is that I like her first 3 albums the least -- and I like her discography going forward much better! And I know that is a definite minority opinion!

vudicus likes this.
  10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with that, it's all subjective.

The second album is the one that resonates with me the most.
    It may be because it was the first one I purchased and I loved everything on it.
    Also, that picture of her wearing snakeskin trousers and dark eyeshadow carrying a Gretsch Silver Jet out of her trailer had a big impact on me as a 16 year old kid. Hubba hubba!!

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I can't wait for new music from her!

Sean and pghmusiclover like this.
  12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Globe Sessions was her peak......

13. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I’ve seen her live a bunch of times and it was great. I got to see her during a rehearsal for the Wildflower tour when she played Hammersmith Apollo in London. David Campbell (Beck’s father) conducted the strings. It was awesome. They kept asking us if it sounded alright.

The self-titled album is my favorite by her. Then Detours, her reunion with Bill Bottrell, followed by the debut and The Globe Sessions. The other ones had their moments. C’mon C’mon seemed colossal and endless (I got one of the imports with the bonus tracks and it made the album even longer) Wildflower seemed a bit samey and I haven’t really spent that much time with her Memphis record.

Her most recent álbum… I admit I haven’t returned to it the way I did with Detours, but the some of the songs kinda stuck in my head despite the fact that I haven’t played it much.

I quite like what she did with Stevie Nicks as well.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Lots of members ascribe her success to marginally known musician and ex-boyfriend Kevin Gilbert who along with several other musicians co-wrote some tunes off Sheryl's first album, got full credit for his contributions and later tragically committed suicide. Forgetting that she made two even better albums after the fact, among other things.

15. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

Great news on the new record! Now, can we get vinyl editions of the first three albums, please?

Sean, pghmusiclover and vudicus like this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great! I'm looking forward to both new releases.

17. MeanMrMayo

MeanMrMayo Well-Known Member

I like her singing, so why would any of that matter?

18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The musicians got credit for their songwriting contributions.
    Kevin Gilbert died in 1996 of auto erotic asphyxiation, 2 years after "Tuesday Night Music Club".

19. pghmusiclover

...I suppose because some people just have to have a chip on their shoulder about some artists and their success...

And I hate to state it's sexism, but it is on some level, and I think a large part is people want to diminish Sheryl's contributions to her own success.

20. pghmusiclover

I want more than just the first 3, but that would be a fine start!

vudicus likes this.
  21. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

And the self titled album would have to include the UK bonus track "Free Man" as that's how I've been used to it for 20 years.

22. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Weren't you the one calling Alanis Morissette manufactured? :shh:

23. pghmusiclover

That was the first album of Sheryl's I really liked (and then I went backwards and grew to like the earlier ones). I loved the bonus tracks from the Japanese version. I'd love to have this one on vinyl WITH all the bonus tracks :D

24. I like her. What happened between her and Kevin was between them just like any break up. I love Kevin's music as well and liking them isn't musically exclusive. People change with time and hindsight being 20/20 it's easier for us to judge someone looking on the outside in. I really don't understand the hate if it is related,to Kevin's death. We all make mistakes. I do feel that Kevin"/ talent was bigger than hers but their dynamic reminds me a bit of Buckingham/Nicks

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. Well that's not exactly true or fair--David Baerwald had success as part of David and David (his first solo album alThough not a huge seller was a big critical success) and her producer had worked with Peter Gabriel and many other musicians with equal success. Kevin might not have been as well know at the time but he was better known than Crow due to his involvement in Toy Matinee and Crow was, frankly, unknown at the time. That still doesn't diminish her accomplishments but we don't need to elevate one by dmnishing the other.

One of the reasons for example that I purchased Sheryl's first album was because she worked with artists that I already knew and I liked the single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.