New member - I need some suggestions for an Elvis Presley Compilation *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hello, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello

Hello New Member Thread Starter

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but...

I started listening to Elvis' music a while ago. I was wondering which cd's/compilations/collections I should get and I'm looking for the best sounding remaster. I want all the hits and eventually some extra songs too, but there are so many compilations and boxes out there so I can't really decide what to buy. It should also be a more complete set, since many compilations are missing a lot of hits.

Thanks

2. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident

3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

For the best sound and a fair amount of essential tracks at a great price, and seeing that you're in the Netherlands, I recommend this:

Elvis 75:Amazon.co.uk:Music »

mmars982, Hello and I333I like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Hello likes this.
  5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've got most Elvis releases/collections since 1963 to the present, but if you just
    want to get started, I personally feel one of the best is "Elvis 75" from 2010.
    A 3 disc set that does include most of the essentials, it's a steal for under $25.00
    (on Amazon). It uses the new 2009 remasters and has great sound.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the Amazon link with the complete track listing (this is for the European
    version/import which is slightly different than the US version but much cheaper).
    https://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Presley/dp/B002W6Z0Z0

Hello and I333I like this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, that is probably the best starting point presently available on the market.

artfromtex likes this.
  8. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Elvis 75 is probably your best bet. Decent sound & a nice career overview.

These sets sound like garbage compared to most of the mastering work of the last decade or so. I would avoid these if sound quality is an issue.

9. SKATTERBRANE

I quite like the SQ of Walk A Mile In My Shoes. I agree with you on the other two though.

artfromtex likes this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

Elvis At Sun is the best SQ for the Sun material.

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The three nineties box -sets covering the fifties, sixties and seventies are great compilations but not the best remasters.
    Pwesonally I think the recent RCA album collection is the best Elvis compilation but 60 cd-s might be to much. Certanely not for me. That purchase even made me enjoy more of those goofy soundtracks that could be healthy.:)

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Elvis 75 is great; sounds great, likely most of what you need. I did pretty easily tack on to that though with two other cheap compilations that Vic Anesini also mastered, so I am pretty much done, more here: Best sounding Elvis compilation (apart from DCC) » I do love his Gospel compilation though.

Hello likes this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

Hello likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Note that the tracklistings of the US and UK versions of Elvis 75 are not exactly the same; they do overlap, but each set has tracks that are not on the other.

Hello and bmoregnr like this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

BTW here are the lifetime masters that are NOT on the 60CD set:

Doncha Think It's Time (LP version)
    I Want To Be Free with original spliced ending
    Lover Doll (undubbed version)
    Dixieland Rock (truncated intro version from EP)
    Long Lonely Highway (single version)
    I'm Yours (single version)
    Stay Away, Joe (accidently released on the 1st issue of Almost In Love LP)
    A Little Less Conversation (single version with "hey" intro)**
    Almost In Love (single version with full intro)
    I Really Don't Want To Know (drum beat ending)
    Make The World Go Away (unspliced Welcome To My World)
    I Can't Stop Loving You live: (Welcome To My World)

The first two volumes of A Legendary Performer had these previously unreleased tracks that are not on this collection:
    I Love You Because (unspliced take)
    Love Me (TV Special)
    Tryin' To Get To You (TV Special)
    Are You Lonesome Tonight (TV Special)
    I Want You, I Need You, I Love You (alternate)
    Blue Suede Shoes (TV Special)
    Baby What You Want Me To Do (TV Special)

And a few more stray dogs:

Old Shep (Alternate)
    Elvis Sails: ??
    Didja' Ever (take 2)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Hello likes this.
  16. SKATTERBRANE

The US version has 4 discs and MORE tracks. It just isn't simply different tracks. But the UK version does have a few tracks that are not included in the US version.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Whatever. I wonder why I bother.

18. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight is superior to the UK version, and not that expensive anyway.

It is the best compilation set on the market for Elvis Presley, and a great introduction to his music. There are a couple of really questionable inclusions, like Adam & Evil (ugh, awful, awful decision) but for a 100 song set, it is virtually on the money. It also derives from the Vic Anesini remasters and sounds great.

Hello and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  19. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

But a big chunk of the music is awful and well, $250 is a lot of money!

Having all the masters is for hardcore enthusiasts only in my mind.

Hotdog and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

Well there are people who are going to tout the compilation they have or are familiar with. And then there are others who OWN just about everything out there and can give a more informed opinion on what to avoid and what to look for.

21. SKATTERBRANE

Yes, I can agree with that. However if one is likely to want to own everything eventually, this 60CD box is a great and economic way to start. Wait until one heads down the $30 per title FTD label path!

Lewisboogie and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Perhaps, but where's the fun in that?

I don't think Elvis' output is best served by a "here's all the masters" collection at retail, and certainly not by collecting together 57 lifetime LPs, many of which are just awfully compiled and do not represent the body of work well.

I kinda wish they'd done a 10 CD set on Elvis' career, like was done for B. B. King in 2012. Two box-sets were put out titled "Ladies & Gentlemen, Mr. B. B. King" - a 10 CD career retrospective, and a 4CD condensed version of the same idea.

That concept applied to Elvis' work could have yielded a fantastic collection of music for retail, that would also presented a good listening experience.

23. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I picked up an old copy of a Readers Digest LP compilation that sounds fantastic. It dips into his earlier music then up into his hit era.

Funny, this is the second Readers Digest LP set I own (Carpenters another) and they are stamped on some rather thinnish vinyl but it's clean as a whistle.

24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Essential Elvis Presley sounds great and is a good 2 disc comp.

Hello and gitters like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, I would never suggest the 60-disc Complete Albums box set to an Elvis novice. Many of the sessions and recordings in their original configurations are less-than-desirable, curious, and a bit confusing. It is a neat set for the serious Elvis enthusiast, but not a great set for casual or newer fans. A significantly pared down set, like the 4 disc Elvis 75 box set provides a good overview and is a great place to start. Key individual albums would then be the next step.

Lewisboogie and Dave Hoos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.