Best Record Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave Calarco, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You will have to experiment with the amount of fluid. Like @tim185 said, you need to cover the grooves but you don't want to go overboard when you are doing this. You will figure out through trial and error how much cleaning fluid you need to use. Same with the distilled water rinse cycles. I will admit that I sometimes go overboard with the water rinse cycles and end up making a mess. However, I have the RCM set up on a folding plastic table. That means any mess I make just gets vacuumed up at the end, pretty easy. I don't use spray bottles, but squeeze type bottles for water and the original bottle for the AI #15. You could experiment with spray bottles and see how that works for you.

2. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

I'm excited to clean some records that are long overdue. Thanks again for the recommendation!

patient_ot likes this.
  3. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

It the Squeaky Clean and started cleaning last night. Seems like a bit of a learning curve and you have to wipe down the albums once it's done as it leaves some wetness. Pretty neat device.

Have you used any "pro" cleaning machines. I'm wondering how they compare.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Use the air release valve to adjust suction. Suction is going to be different depending on what you have the valve set to and what kind of mini-shop vac you're using. I've never had to "wipe down" any record I've cleaned on the Squeaky. I leave them on a rack to dry for at least 10 minutes, not because it is necessary, but because I'm anal.

5. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

Do you let the record touch the vacuum suction?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not sure I understand your question. There are pads on the vacuum wand to prevent the plastic from contacting the record directly and scratching it. You will have to experiment with the number of vacuum rotations and the suction release valve to get the appropriate amount of suction while not overvacuuming and causing static. Some people will always use a Zerostat gun after they clean records on an RCM to avoid static.

Bottom line, your records shouldn't be wet at all after using this if you are doing it right. You do need to be careful when applying cleaning fluid and distilled water because if you apply too much it will go over the edge of the record and get it wet underneath. That just takes practice.

7. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

Do you allow your records to touch the pads?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've been pretty happy with the VPI 16.5, it has paid for itself many times over. If my 16.5 broke I would look into the cyclone.

[​IMG]

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Holy Cow, this is really something.

[​IMG]

10. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

Just received my Squeaky Clean MK III yesterday. Have not been able to use it yet, but looking forward to diving in tonight.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes, never gave me a problem out of hundreds of LPs I've cleaned on the machine at this point. You might want to post a video or some pics of how you are using the Squeaky. If your vac wand is an inch or more away from the record that is a problem. NO RCM is designed to work that way.

12. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

Got it. I was concerned about the fibers damaging the vinyl. They're so small and all of the grooves are so microscopic- it's hard to tell if it's damaging the record. I'll give it a shot that way tonight.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They're not going to damage anything. If you have any gap at all between the vac wand and the record it should be a matter of millimeters. Even if your vac is too strong with an entirely closed air valve, I wouldn't expect it to scratch the records.

14. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I use mine in combination with TM-8 cleaning fluid, and the results are excellent.

Tullman likes this.
  15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I would never buy a VPI 16.5 now that there is a cheaper soloution with the SqueakyClean out that does just as good if not even better job. I use a 1.5HP vac with the suction adjustment knob closed all the way and 3-4 revolutions take all liquid away. What is also nice that the VPI can't do is you can just reverse the direction which I like as well as change the speed of the revolutions as you wish. Sweet device!

16. BlackStrat_Fan

I just received the SqueakyClean last week. Using it with a 1 HP ShopVac I had sitting in the garage that i used for the car interior. This thing works as advertised. I'm thrilled to say the least!

krimson likes this.
  17. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

That's what I did after 24 years with the 16.5 (vacuum weak) went to the Cyclone and I JUST LOVE this machine...well worth the extra cost from the 16.5 and its made of steel. Still sold my Mint looking 16.5 for
    $200 half of what I paid for it.

sean

18. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

You'll love it (I hope :agree:..)

I have had mine about 6 months...cleaned 100's of albums with amazing results.
    ....and Nick is a stand up guy for sure!!

Good luck!

19. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

20. BlackStrat_Fan

I'm absolutely loving this thing (SqueakyClean)! So simple, yet highly effective. And yes, Nick is a stand-up guy.

krimson and cat9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.