U.S. Post Office To Issue Star Trek Stamps

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SandAndGlass, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was at the post office today. While I was at the service counter. I happened to glance at at a advertisement for specialty stamps.

What caught my eye were two forever stamps which I will describe below.

1) There is a hand showing a palm facing forward, on a vertically aligned stamp. The hand was split open like a "V", with two fingers together making up the "V", as in "Live Long and Prosper", more fitting now than ever! Inside of the palm, was space, with stars showing and the original Enterprise NCC-1701, is shown flying through space.

2) Similar vertical orientation, shows a transporter platform, with a blur of a figure with sparkley effects, as in the process of teleportation.

[​IMG]

These will be available on Friday, September 2nd. I found some images online and additional information from usps.com.

WASHINGTON — Nearly 50 years to the day of its original airing, the U.S. Postal Service will celebrate the iconic 1960s television show Star Trek by dedicating the Star Trek Forever stamps in New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.

The first-day-of-issue ceremony will take place at noon on Friday Sept. 2, and will officially launchStar Trek: Mission New York, a three-day celebration that is expected to draw thousands of Star Trek fans. For tickets to Star Trek: Mission New York go to startrekmissions.com.

The stamps will be available for pre-order the first week of August at usps.com/shop for delivery shortly after Sept. 2. Fans are encouraged to share the news on social media using#StarTrekForever. Visit this link for information on other upcoming stamp dedication ceremonies.

The stamps, under license by CBS Consumer Products, showcase four digital illustrations inspired by classic elements of the television program that premiered Sept. 8, 1966:

• The Starship Enterprise inside the outline of a Starfleet insignia against a gold background
    • The silhouette of a crewman in a transporter against a red background
    • The silhouette of the Enterprise from above against a green background
    • The Enterprise inside the outline of the Vulcan salute (Spock’s iconic hand gesture) against a blue background
    The stamps were designed by Heads of State of Philadelphia, under the art direction of Antonio Alcalá of Alexandria, VA.

The Postal Service is participating in Star Trek: Mission New York through an agreement with Reed Exhibitions and its ReedPOP group, a global producer of fan experiences such as New York Comic Con (NYCC), Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) and others.

The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

ggergm, izombie73, Dok and 4 others like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

Mission New York, a huge Star Trek convention in N.Y.C. at the At the Javits center, September 2nd-4th, 2016, marking the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.

I would like to see a SHF member, who associates himself or herself, both with the Star Trek Universe and will be attending the convention, to be the OP for a thread about this ST convention. This is THE ST convention!

There will be guests there from all of the TV shows some of the movies, literary guests, autographing, an auction of personal items of Leonard Nimoy, panel discussions...

There will be photo ops with cast members, including William Shatner.

[​IMG]

Who is up to the challenge?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Canada has also issued Star Trek stamps.

These art for US ones are more imaginative.

Simon A and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I am a huge Trek fan; I bought some of the Canadian stamps and have the US stamps on pre-order.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

Here's something else that I found at the grocery store magazine rack a couple of weeks back.

Both Time and Newsweek have special edition magazines celebrating the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.

The Newsweek has an introduction by Adam Nimoy.

[​IMG]

BTW... When you visit the Mission New York, web site, you will be invited to sign up to receive email updates about the convention.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I am not a Star Trek fan but I appreciate it for what it is. I am going to pick up some of these stamps because I think they look great and the artwork is top notch.

Simon A and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I watched the original show as a kid, but never made a big deal about it as an adult. These stamps though are very cool, actually well designed and beautifully graphic. The post office did good.

8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'm in.

Just about out of forever stamps anyway - these will be cool.

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of TOS is a good thing.

Live long and prosper.
    [​IMG]

9. SandAndGlass

Be sure to check out the NYC convention link, in my second post. I just found out about it looking up photos of the stamps.

There will be an auction of personal items owned by Leonard Nimoy, plus lots of great stuff.

LLAP

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The Enterprise supered over the Star Fleet logo is killer!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

That and the LLAP ones are my favorites, I am going to get loads of each!, Will get some of the other two just to have them.

On the Star Fleet logo stamp, the art of the Enterprise, reminds me of the Revel model of the Enterprise, that I built, back in the eight grade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The model was used in The Trouble With Tribble's episode (written by David Gerold -who will be attending the convention).

It was used in the shot of looking out the window of the space station, that is the Revel model in the background.

[​IMG]

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

What? No Doomsday Machine stamp?

SandAndGlass and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think they should issue a Horta stamp to celebrate media mail delivery.

Manimal, Gumboo and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

No Need, You just roll your sheet of stamps into a cone and crinkle them up and you have the authorized DIY model of the Doomsday Machine itself. :)

[​IMG]

Put some cotton in the mouth of the model with a few drops of lighter fluid and you will get a nice orange glow.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

[​IMG]
    Would it look something like this, perhaps?

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Big ST fan here. I saw both the Time & Newsweek issues recently.
    Flipped through them on the newsstands. They were OK, but not worth the high price tag.
    Did see another ST 50th tribute magazine put out by Entertainment Weekly.

[​IMG]

I did pick this one up.
    Yes I will keep an eye out for the ST stamps when need more stamps.

Picked up this t-shirt recently.

[​IMG]

Darryl

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a postman!"

Chad75, John B Good, Gumboo and 3 others like this.
  18. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

As someone who is a huge Trek fan and someone who has never sought out these kinds of specialty stamps, does anyone know if they will be available for purchase at any post office, or do they need to be ordered from usps.com?

19. SandAndGlass

They should be available at any post office. I will check next week when I mail more letters and confirm for you.

I had intended to just buy them from the post office. I could see pre-ordering them through USPS.com. You should be able to purchase them after noon on September 2nd.

Uther likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

No, not really worth the price tag IMO also. But it seems that regular magazines have gotten too expensive as it is. Any special edition is priced through the roof. People must be used to paying for them, bc they still keep printing them.

If you are a ST collector, they are just another item for the collection, they will be a curiosity in the future for sure. How must longer are we even going to see magazines in print, anyway? They will continue to rise in price and get thinner and thinner. Poof, one day, the magazine stand will just disappear all together. (Perhaps they will be transported to a suitable evolving type "M" planet somewhere?)

As expensive as they are, what in the ST universe are you going to get for much less. A T-Shirt, perhaps? :)

I like the T, the graph in the background sets it off.

how much was the Entertainment Weekly mag.?

S&G

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The mag was $14. I hardly ever buy magazines.
    I occassionally pick up specialty magazines,
    but they must be ones that I can hold my interests.
    Beyond a curious glance on the newsstand.

Darryl

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

Thanks...

FYI. The Time SE is $13.99, 96-pages and the Newsweek SE is $10.99, 98-pages.

The Time edition is 3/8" taller though.

23. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Nice stamps. Hopefully, I'll have finished my Pickup Trucks stamps by the time they are issued.

Waiting for this book from my library.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

Interesting!

The book is currently available on Amazon for $20.25, Hardcover 576 pages.

Here is the description on Amazon.

This is the unauthorized, uncensored and unbelievable true story behind the making of a pop culture phenomenon. The original Star Trek series debuted in 1966 and has spawned five TV series spin-offs and a dozen feature films, with an upcoming one from Paramount arriving in 2016. The Fifty-Year Mission is a no-holds-barred oral history of five decades of Star Trek, told by the people who were there. Hear from the hundreds of television and film executives, programmers, writers, creators and cast as they unveil the oftentimes shocking story of Star Trek's ongoing fifty-year mission -a mission that has spanned from the classic series to the animated show, the many attempts at a relaunch through the beloved feature films.

Make no mistake, this isn't just a book for Star Trek fans. Here is a volume for all fans of pop culture and anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of a television touchstone.

About the Author
    EDWARD GROSS has an extensive history of covering film and television as a member of the editorial staff of a wide variety of magazines, including CINESCAPE, STARLOG, CINEFANTASTIQUE, SFX, FEMME FATALES, MOVIE MAGIC, LIFE STORY and SCI-FI NOW. He has written numerous non-fiction books and, along with THE FIFTY-YEAR MISSION coauthor Mark Altman, has written more about Star Trek over the past 35 years than just about anyone else.

MARK A. ALTMAN has been hailed as "the world's foremost Trekspert" by the LOS ANGELES TIMES. Altman is a former journalist for such publications as THE BOSTON GLOBE, CINEFANTASTIQUE and GEEK. He is also the writer/producer of the beloved romantic comedy, FREE ENTERPRISE, starring William Shatner and Eric McCormack as well as the hit TV series AGENT X, CASTLE, NECESSARY ROUGHNESS and FEMME FATALES.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I mail a ton of stuff, and stamps for any big campaign like this is at every Post Office. Why launch a campaign if you don't take advantage of the fact that you have sales locations in every city in every state of the union?

I know it's fashionable to dis the USPS, but I get wonderful service from them, mailing hundreds of items every year.

Dok, Gumboo, Uther and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.