Macy Gray remakes "I Try" with a jazz-infused update from forthcoming album, "Stripped" (09/09/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Hear Macy Gray's Gorgeously Reimagined Version of "I Try" »

It's too bad Macy is seen as a one-hit wonder, because she's actually recorded some really good albums!

[​IMG]

1. Annabelle
    2. Sweet Baby
    3. I Try
    4. Slowly
    5. She Ain’t Right For You
    6. First Time
    7. Nothing Else Matters
    8. Redemption Song
    9. The Heart
    10. Lucy
    One of the most iconic and instantly recognizable voices in music history is back in a way you've never heard before. Macy Gray makes her Chesky Records debut with her new Jazz infused album, Stripped. Paired with an awe inspiring jazz ensemble that includes Ari Hoenig, Daryl Johns, Russell Malone, and Wallace Roney, Macy's voice is given the space and freedom to truly shine. Featuring new original songs, intriguing covers, and stunning new arrangements of her classic hits like "I Try," there's something for everyone on this timeless recording.

Macy Gray | Chesky Records »

2. pghmusiclover

3. pghmusiclover

4. pghmusiclover

I am enjoying this. It's unfortunate that Macy is viewed as a "one-hit wonder", because she's made some fine albums that have passed by virtually unnoticed.

For anyone interested, it looks like there will be a vinyl version of this -- though it appears to delete 2 of the 10 tracks:

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds »

5. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Saw her tonight at the Juan-les-Pins Jazz Festival. Very cool. She really should be recognized as one of the top performers of our time!

longdist01 and pghmusiclover like this.
  6. pghmusiclover

Yeah it's unfortunate she's viewed as a one-hit wonder, since she's really released some adventurous music since her breakthrough.

7. pghmusiclover

[​IMG]

New album, "Ruby", coming in September, features a guest appearance from guitarist Gary Clark Jr. and includes production from Johan Carlsson (Ariana Grande, Michael Bublé , Maroon 5), Tommy Brown (Jennifer Lopez, Fifth Harmony, Travis Scott, Ariana Grande) and Tommy Parker Lumpkins (Janet Jackson, Justin Bieber, Kelly Rowland).

First single is co-written with Meghan Trainor and the video is a tribute to Diana Ross in "Lady Sings The Blues" (and features Diana's son Even in a small role).

Macy Gray Announces New Album 'Ruby' & Upcoming Tour Dates: Exclusive

vivresavie likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

[​IMG]

1. Buddha featuring Gary Clark Jr.
    2. Cold World
    3. Over You
    4. White Man
    5. Tell Me
    6. Sugar Daddy
    7. When It Ends
    8. Just Like Jenny
    9. Jealousy
    10. Shinanigins
    11. But He Loves Me
    12. Witness

RUBY

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm trying to think what you just recently brought to my attention that I got. In any case this will be another one.

10. pghmusiclover

11. pghmusiclover

This new album is really terrific. I must be the only Macy fan on SH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.