Split Enz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Aug 21, 2016.

1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

That's just it.. I love everything on that compilation (History Never Repeats). It's short but packs a punch. I figured that getting True Colours, Conflicting Emtions, and Time & Tide were at least essential for my tastes.

2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Probably my favorite Enz tune so far as well.

NiceMrMustard likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I think Tim dominated Time & Tide - hence it's nick name Tim & Tide. Post Time & Tide a lot of Tim's best songs were used for his solo work

4. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

Poor Boy is a classic as well.

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

That's a good one as well - True Colours is a solid album

6. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I think some of Neil's later enz songs that had a more crowdies feel include

Message to my girl
    The devil you know,
    Voices,
    Years go by,
    I walk away,
    one mouth is fed

'Serge' on the 'rear enz' box set bonus disc is a fave as well (even though it was originally an early Neil song which can be found on the 'rootin tootin luton' cd. Working so can't add YouTube links

7. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Every time I hear the chorus of "Don't Dream It's Over" I'm reminded of Jeffrey Tambor's character in the Larry Sanders Show ("Hey Now!").

SteevG and mrjinks like this.
  8. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I rate "One Step Ahead" Neil's best Split Enz song, and it's certainly in the conversation for his best song of all. As for his brother, I think "Stuff And Nonsense" is Tim's best composition, either in Split Enz or solo.

HitAndRun, J_D__ and Ryan Lux like this.
  9. Isn't this a bonus track on the expanded version of the album? I know I have it somewhere (maybe on my boxed set on the bonus disc)

10. Clever video. I love how Tim doesn't even pretend to play the guitar just moves it around (since it was Neil playing it anyway on the album)

One of Neil's most sublime melodies.

Indeed he is. Not the best choice to remaster the catalog though.

11. One of my fav songs by Tim.

notgoblin likes this.
  12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It is, but it was edited for some reason. The song has an unsatisfactory history on CD. Although the vinyl single sounds wonderful, when it first appeared on CD (Rear Enz) it sounded awful. I had this dreadful flutter throughout. Then, when it was remastered, not only was the mastering awful (way too loud and limited) but it was also edited. The vinyl remains the only place to hear the whole thing in all it's glory.

D.B. and Jaffaman like this.
  13. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Funny, I've never cared for "Next Exit." After the great Time and Tide and the adventurous singles from that record, this one just strikes me as slight, a late return to the Frenzy era. Didn't somebody above say that Tim's best material was being saved for his solo career at this point? Based on this I'd believe it. ("Whatchagonnadoaboutit")

Actually, I first had this track (in all its "glory," I think) on the VHS version of History Never Repeats.

I've always wondered why the remastered version was butchered. Maybe Eddie wasn't working with a proper master tape and had to cut some warble or something. At the very least it should have been appended to Conflicting Emotions. Sticking it on as a bonus track to the Tim-free See Ya Round makes no sense at all.

So here's the big question then - are the 2006 remasters generally deemed unworthy? I much prefer listening to them than the subpar too-quiet transfers on the 1992 box sets.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Time & Tide I bought sounds good - not sure if 2006, the CD looks like a replica album. Also doesn't have the bonus track.

15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

How cool if Tim joined Schnell Fenster? But we all know how well Tim and Phil got along?!

16. Paul H

For me, they're a mixed bag. My main gripe with them is that the mastering is far too loud. A real set of loudness war victims.

Also, many of the tracks were remixed. Not surprisingly, I tend to prefer the original mixes for the material I'm more familiar with (basically, anything that wasn't on Frenzy) but I much prefer the remix of Frenzy. It turned an utterly unlistenable mess into a real candidate for the highlight of their catalogue. Interestingly, the album also includes an outtake of Famous People - used because, apparently, they couldn't locate the master. I find it far superior to the original version.

Overall then, a mixed bunch for me. If they could remaster the catalogue to bring some much need dynamic range to it, keep the new mixes of Frenzy but return to the original mixes for everything else, I'd be a happy bunny.

17. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I think 'Next Exit' was an old recording (Waiata outtake?) that just happened to be released at this point, and the song dates back to the Rootin' Tootin' Luton Tapes, so that's why it sounds like a Frenzy-era song: it was.

And, by the way, those 1978 demos are a pretty amazing body of work. Much of it was never officially recorded, but there's some great material there. 'Animal Lover' is one of my favourite things the band ever did: just insanely catchy. Hands down the best thing Eddie Rayner ever wrote for the band.

18. Paul H

Except in the context that See Ya Round was intended as a farewell release pulling together odds and sods from each of the remaining band members. Next Exit couldn't be included on the original because Tim had left the band but the song was dredged up and re-recorded in the same spirit and so, thematically at least, it does have common ground with See Ya Round. In fact, I suspect that the very reason it was released was to act as Tim's farewell to the band - even the lyrics refer to leaving a relationship - and as a stand-alone accompaniment to the remaining band's own farewell.

19. anothergreatdivide

anothergreatdivide Active Member

This was the first band I ever truly LOVED - so much I brought their entire discography when I was 17/18!

Another Great Divide is my favourite Enz song and it's a true fan favourite (I think it did VERY well - top 5? in the survey the band did on their facebook page).

Second Thoughts/Dizrythmia/Frenzy has to be one of my favourite album runs ever but I could include any album from Mental Notes to Time and Tide.

Conflicting Emotions is considerably weaker to me, but there are gems like Strait Old Line, Message to My Girl and I Wake Up Every Night. See Ya Round is better but not as good as their first 7.

A seriously underrated band

Bemsha, factory44 and Paul H like this.
  20. Paul H

Must admit that I have little love for their early albums. It wasn't until Neil joined that I think Tim really honed his pop songwriting chops. That's not to say that there aren't good songs on the early albums, just that I find them a little too clever for my own liking.

That said, the run of (remixed) Frenzy, True Colours, Waiata/Corroboree and Time and Tide is superb.

21. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

OK - I can see your point somewhat, but "Next Exit" was released *before* Conflicting Emotions which still has Tim all over it, including his own "Bon Voyage," which is actually his departure song. I still think in terms of both sound and theme Conflicting Emotions is a better home for this song, if it has to be tacked on anywhere.

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Great band, I bought the first album when it came out, I also enjoy the other albums that follow. I still have my original vinyl with crazy groves. MTV helped this band a lot.

23. Paul H

Ah yes, good point. My mistake. I had it in my head that Next Exit followed Conflicting Emotions; that is, it fell between the albums so could, in theory, have been placed on either of them. But you're right. So yes, Conflicting Emotions should be it's home. Which actually explains why I vaguely recall being bemused at why it was on See Ya Round... Blimey, I dropped the ball on this one :)

D.B. and RTW like this.
  24. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Has this album had a mention? worth hunting down a copy thats for sure

[​IMG]

Thom and RTW like this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I also prefer the tighter poppier Enz from about 1979 - not really into the progressive pop/rock Enz. Still some gems from that era though.

Paul H likes this.