Pre-Amps/Phono Stages

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by StevenC, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

I was hoping for help from someone with a little more know-how than I have. I have a Rega RP6 turntable, Ortofon 2M Bronze, running through a Marantz 7007 receiver with a modern phono input jack. Now, I don't have the space for a separate, analog audio focused amp so I have been considering a phono stage. I have two fairly easy questions that I don't know the answer to:

1. If my sound isn't very loud through Marantz's built in phono stage, how much would it be improved by using this: MUSICDIRECT - REGA - FONO MM ONLY PHONO PREAMP (BLACK) »

To be honest, I wouldn't spend much more than this - - but i also don't want to cheap out with AudioTechnica junk...

Question # 2:

Would this plug into the phono jack? Or the Aux jack on my receiver.

Thanks for the help!

2. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

2) Aux, or unused Tuner, CD/DVD, Tape In...any input EXCEPT the Phono input would work and equally well.

1) I don't know it would improve the issue you describe. Sound too low? Not unusual to have to turn the volume a bit higher listening to an LP vs digital sources. Could it be a cartridge problem or, more likely, wiring?

Maybe you could tell us more about the problem.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    russk likes this.
  3. StevenC

thanks... for answering this... Now just hoping someone will let me know whether or not there would be a noticeable improvement in sound....

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

You need to know your amps input sensitivity (what voltage input it needs to achieve full power with). Then you can figure out how much gain you would need in a phono stage. If you don't then it will just be a crap shoot. With a high gain phono pre you will easily be able to increase the volume and also improve the sound but if you go to high you run into other problems like noise and increased distortion.

5. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

SR7007? Pg 128 of the manual mentions being able to match source levels, +/- 12dB. That receiver should have a pretty decent Phono section. You can do better, sure, but maybe going separates isn't going to gain you much--pun intended.

6. StevenC

I bought it refurbished from a reputable authorized (online) Marantz dealer called Accessories4Less and it didn't come with the guide... Perhaps reading it online to adjust the phono settings up may be a good first step...

BuddhaBob likes this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's pretty much a BS spec that manufactures give you when they don't want to release the real ones. Most built in phono sections are easily improved on till you get to some pretty pricey gear.

8. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Well, fwiw, I'd say you will be much better off getting the dedicated phono amp, especially for something like the RP6. Your receiver will have a fairly basic (i.e. cheap) circuit for phono duties (possibly digitizing the signal along the way, dunno) but you should get noticeably better sound using the Rega Fono. Just connect it to any analog stereo input (except "phono") and you should be good to go. But you can experiment with different analog inputs to see if any particular one sounds better.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  9. StevenC

10. StevenC

Thanks. I should have noted, I'm also compensating for it being in a large room with very high ceilings... that church-like design probably doesn't help the acoustics...

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

A quick look up of your amp came up with an input sensitivity of 200mv. If that's right for your line inputs then the ideal gain for your cartridge is 32db. If you want to try something that will be a bit louder and more dynamic try something with around 36db of gain but I wouldn't go over 40db.

12. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

You're all trying to solve an "isn't very loud" question with an outboard Phono amp and the OP is clearly on a budget? Learn more about the issue, which so far isn't described as one involving sound quality.

13. StevenC

Hate being a rookie on this stuff... Thanks for the help... At least I chose a decent turntable, I guess, over a Crosley...

BuddhaBob likes this.
  14. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

See if you can bring the volume level up with the Source Level setting on pg 128.

If sound QUALITY is the issue, you have a lot of choices but that Rega is nice. Your TT being a Rega, too. If it's unsuitable they should take it back.

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

Sorry I took the original post as a person new to turntables and phono sections describing a problem he really didn't understand. The source level setting is a good point only if it's choking the signal which it could be. Either way appropriate gain is one of the biggest problems people have and one of the biggest reasons, in my experience, that people will rave about one outboard phono pre and trash another. Its also one of the places designers of gear, especially equipment with built in phono sections skimp on. The more gain you put into your phono section the harder it is to keep it quiet. If he ends up just amplifying a poor signal it will make it louder but you'll still suffer from poor dynamics and over all bland sound. If the OP is Willing to spend 400 dollars or even 100 he can do a lot better then what's in his Marantz. Especially given the level of his table and cartridge. It does of course require a little work.

And yes I know Marantz phono stages. I've have had three different Marantz receivers. The only one that I kept was a 2325. I found the phono sections to be lacking in all of them.

Anyways. I'd look for an original iFi Iphono over the Rega for sound quality and flexibility. Or just grab the Rega and try it. If you find no improvement return. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  16. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Just sneaking in a little question of my own in case someone here knows:

How does the phono stage of an early NAD 3020 Series 20 (made in England) compare to modern budget phono preamps?

17. Yudistra

Yudistra New Member

I recently had a similar situation. I use a Rega RP3 with its Exact cart. Complaint was that the sound lacked dynamism and musicality compared to CDs. Auditioned the Rega MM phono stage and a Rogue Triton for a few weeks. The Rogue improved the sound considerably. I use a Denon PMA with built-in phono. Plugged the phono stage into the aux line. Warning: it may sacrifice some warmth (whatever that means) for a forward sound. Bought the Rogue. CDs far behind now. Just now, did a comparison with Dire Straits' On Every Street. No contest.

18. for that money, I'd look at the Parks Audio Budgie or the Lounge, both very nice preamps for MM carts. I got the Lounge from an AKer here and sounds really great with my Ortfon MM carts.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This.
    I love my Lounge, and it's $100 less than the Rega.

Lounge Audio »

20. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

You need to check this setting. You can boost or reduce the level on all of the sources ( I have a 6006 ). It may not ultimately get you where you want to be but.....it is a no cost setup adjustment.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

After a Google to see this receiver, it sure is packed with nice functionality.

I personally don't think an out-board phono pre is going to be a value add.

As BuddhaBob stated, "Not unusual to have to turn the volume a bit higher listening to an LP vs digital sources."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.