What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

That's unfortunate. Where I live (Toronto) excellent quality FM is alive and well. Great jazz station, great classical station and all the rest.

I'm also using my main receiver for reel to reel recording because there's nothing quite like a built-in tape loop for recording from any connected source. Feeding the output of a Bluesound Node 2 into the Aux input is fun too.

2. Pierre.O

Pierre.O New Member

For me an AUDIO REFINEMENT - photo from web -, but I have the same ! Great sound and fine.
    [​IMG]

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for the reply! Might I ask what your favorite amp and speakers are for listening to your Sinatra records? I use a Scott 299b, with Klipsch Chorus speakers and a Dual 1229 turntable with an Ortofon 2mBlue cart. Frank has never sounded better to my ears!

4. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Is is unfortunate about the quality of FM around here.It may not be that bad for everyone but save for two wonderful classical music stations there is nothing that interests me on the FM dial.I was a big fan of stand alone tuners but they have met the same fate in my house.

5. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Has it gone full-digital, the signal that goes out? I imagine there are certain stations that still use older, analog-powered equipment, but since TV started broadcasting a digital signal, I figured terrestrial radio wouldn't be far behind. I rarely listen to it much anymore these days though. I miss radio the way it was in the '70's and early '80's (One MTV got up and running, that was pretty much it for radio... You knew it was just a matter of time... Now they're just on life support (The same thing is happening to the CD). But radio used to be so much fun back in the '70's and early '80's. I have fond memories of those days, like winning a John Lennon LP catalog and a coach bus full of drunken listeners on their way to a Clapton concert in New Jersey, etc. Those were good times.

6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I think we liked radio more back then because the music wasn't as worn out as it is now(classic rock).There was also more variety on playlists.I don't know if Public Radio here is digital.I like a good signal through a good tuner but to be frank my critical listening never involves radio.

7. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I had a CR-1020 but it lost a channel and later died. It took out an MX-630 with it. I had thought about having it repaired, but don't think it is worth it. I have been on the look out for another one but haven't found a deal yet.

I regularly use a Fisher 500c and Mac Mx-110/MC-240 combo.

Daedalus likes this.
  8. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

Not sure how "Vintage" this is (pre-1980s?), looks like a pretty new design to me. Either way, the three-leg design would die me craze visually. I couldn't live with it ... Just me ...

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

FM broadcast signals aren't digital. I'd say they're analog by definition. My '70s tuners and receivers don't contain digital decoders. CJRT-FM in Toronto is an example. The station had a huge LP sale last Spring - quite the lineups on saled day. It broadcasts at 40,000 watts. The studio still spins some vinyl, and plays CDs and 24/96 digital FLAC files and MP3 files (not sure what bit rate). The analog audio is converted to digital, then shoved through the same dedicated coax connection as the digital audio, to the transmission center near the top of the CN Tower. Conversion to analog takes place there.

It's too bad (so far) that Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB) hasn't appeared in Canada or the U.S., as it has in the UK, Germany, Australia and 20 or so other countries. The best we can do for digital broadcasts in North America are a small handful of high-res-ish (320Kbps) internet radio stations.

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I have not found one yet either-I almost snagged one a while back but someone beat me to it.

11. Daedalus

Does anyone here have vintage Accuphase?

12. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure this isn't vintage. Nice looking though. Looks like "Krell" clone.

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

This isn't a vintage receiver. I thought Audio Refinement has only been around since 2002?

14. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

THAT would be a sweet sight to see. Nice looking receiver they made too the 100 model.

15. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Nice to see lots of love for the Marantz 2325. I have one myself and a Sansui Six. Those Sansui single number series are very understated in the power rating department and in my opinion have tube sounding quality. Now I am on a quest to find a Sansui Seven, Eight or Eight Deluxe.

Daedalus likes this.
  16. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I didn't even know that Onkyo was around back in the 70s Very nice looking receiver.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  17. Gang-Twanger

Sansui was awesome in those days. That name really meant something back then, same as Marantz and Pioneer. A force not to be 'effed with.

If you like the warm, tubelike sound, you should try one of their earlier models, say from around 1970-1972... '72 was a great year for their receivers and amps. Oozing musicality. Very-tubelike. 1973 was a good year as well. I can't remember how many watts their TOTL models had at that point, but I really like their early solid-state sound signature

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Daedalus and rxonmymind like this.
  18. Pierre.O

Pierre.O New Member

Note a Krell clone, this one was created by YBA - Audio Refinement was a mark from YBA who was made in Taiwan. In 2005 it was replace by the "Y" series

19. Gang-Twanger

Me neither...

20. russk

russk Forum Resident

So does anyone know a good place to send a Marantz 2325 for restoration? I have a mint one in my closet that had a "very minimal restoration" done. My Fisher 500c Kills it. Especially now that the 500c is back from a trip to NOS Valves where it had a deluxe restoration done (complete power supply and all the caps in the signal path, bridge rectifier and a full tuner alignment after I replaced all the small tubes and tuner tubes with great NOS ones). I thinking I'd like to find a place that will do a comparable restoration to the Marantz as I'm going to need a second system soon.

21. Daedalus

Check with Terry DeWick to see if he works on Marantz-if not he may make recommendation. Perhaps Audio Classics in Upstate NY also. Do Internet search-there is a fellow who does restoration work or ask on Audiokarma. Mine was done by a local guy who has too much backlog.

22. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

As Muddy would say, "No b..."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Mlle. Aurora and Beattles like this.
  23. Dave's SG2k

Dave's SG2k Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    My RS-2002 is having bad volume pot problems so I thought I'd get another Fisher. This is the RS-2004A. It has VU meters 'cause I like to VU gaze when listening to music. Should arrive on Saturday. This is not the actual photo of said stereo. Swiped from the "inner -net"

24. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

had a Marantz Model 4230 Quad unit back in the 70'S w the SQ decoder. great unit.

25. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I use Sony TA-707ES

Shockingly good!