Yamaha A-S301BL Natural Sound Integrated Stereo Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

3. mooseman

I have Klipsch - klp RB81. I think these are the largest bookshelf speakers they have. They handle my 100 watt Sony recieved fine. I want something better for my sound stage. I only use two speakers, don't need souround sound or a tunner.

4. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Well they are rated at 95 dB which is relatively efficient so I don't think volume will be an issue. Have you tried messing around with placement to achieve a better soundstage? I'm afraid you might spend 350 on an amp and be disappointed.

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

With your speakers that's more than enough power and should sound a lot better than your Sony.

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I had a AS500 running 4ohm speakers and it handled it beautifully. Never got more than slightly warm. I actually miss it sometimes.

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm far from convinced it will sound any better, in fact, it may sound worse depending which older Sony receiver he has.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Eh, I'm not a fan of the Sony house sound and I've owned enough of their gear over the years. YMMV.

9. mooseman

I think will go with the Yamaha A-S501 this one is the 80 watts. I was told it has a nice warm sound and my Klipsch - klp RB81 will handle this amp well.

Thouston likes this.
  10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Yes, that warmer sound of the Yamaha is why I said it should sound better than the Sony with your speakers.

mooseman likes this.
  11. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have the previous yam A-S500 and I love it. The 501(virtually the same amp) will serve you well and have zero problem driving your speakers to your ear's content.

mooseman and boboquisp like this.
  12. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

The Yamaha integrateds are more towards neutral than warm. If you want slightly warmer sound checkout the Marantz PM6005 on sale at Music Direct. I have a 6005 with a pair of RB-81's and it not only sounds good, it can go super loud without getting hot. Also, Yamaha has a captive power cord which leaves you no options for future upgrade.

mooseman likes this.
  13. mooseman

What are some other good recommendations for a price range of $500 to about $850. I don't want to rush this, I have time to make my purchase.
    Maybe I should have rephrased my post for recommendations for a integrated amp.

14. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

You'll get more bang for the buck with an integrated.

mooseman likes this.
  15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

One can always install an IEC socket.

16. mooseman

Thanks, I did read something about the over heating in a review. I will check out the Marantz. :righton:

17. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

FWIW, I have had my Yam cranked to a level high enough for any reasonable person to be satisfied and it barely even gets warm, let alone hot. I am driving 8 ohm speakers though so I'm sure it would be hotter with a 4 0hm load. If you get a yam and have over heating issues, you may also need to take a look at your hearing! I've never heard the Marantz amps but I know they are supposed to be really nice as well. I would certainly have the yam and Marantz on my short list as both are proven to preform well.

mooseman likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I had the A-S301 for approximately 1.5-2 years and liked it a lot. As someone posted earlier, I also kind of miss mine.

At the time I bought it I also bought a Marantz PM-5005. I did an A/B of them with my neighbor (an audio professional) and we both agreed the Yamaha sounded better. He felt that the Marantz might have been a touch more faithful/accurate, but we both enjoyed the sound of the Yamaha more.

I'm currently running a v2 Rogue Sphinx and sometimes still pine (if you will) for the Yamaha. I think the whole A-S series are great amps, and really nice to look at, especially in black.

I've read good things about the Onkyo A-9050 but never heard one.

mooseman likes this.
  19. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

I wouldn't consider the Yamaha "warm". I would consider the Marantz warm but the Yamaha is a little more neutral/sterile/cold/etc. (but still sounds fantastic - I love Yamaha stuff)

bradleyc likes this.
  20. mooseman

Update, I dicided to go with the Yamaha A-S501BL Natural Sound Integrated, 85 watts per channel. ordered it threw Amazon, I'm going to give it a try. I can always send it back for an upgrade or something else. I think this should be enough power and a good entry level amp. I'm only worried about the over heating as some have mentioned. If this doesn't work for me, I will look into the Marantz amps.

21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

If someone is having an issue with that Yamaha overheating it's because they have it in a confined area, which is never a good idea.

Helom and mooseman like this.
  22. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Congrats. I hope you enjoy it. Please update us once you've given it a test drive.

mooseman likes this.
  23. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Or just use regular potatoes instead of yams.

Budysr likes this.
  24. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

Pounding the same two Yamahas in an upgrade from the Onkyo 8020 receiver. Curious to hear your impressions.

25. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

Hey, I have a v1 Rogue Sphinx. Do you play vinyl? If so, have you added phono stage? I'm trying to scratch the upgrade itch and would like to maximize my dollars. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.