Are you too young to get Wichita Lineman ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stu02, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

It's just the most incredible blend of lyrics that anyone can make their own, a haunting melody, a sweeping arrangement and the most perfect human voice to ever sing a pop song. How can one not get it?

2. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

The best version for me was the one I heard coming out of the AM radio in our family's Country Squire in about 1969. Has stayed with me ever since.

Suncola and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  3. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Cool...I just bookended a comment by SH.

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's a beautiful song. What's not to like?

Folknik likes this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I feel personally offended to have to read the title of that song.

Reported.

Personally offended.

Maestro63 likes this.
  6. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

I have been fascinated by this song for 50 years...and I don't even own a copy of it.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Wellll......his version of "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" in a duet with Charlie Haden is gorgeous.

gregorya likes this.
  8. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Can someone start a thread about" Galveston"?

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I vote you.

Keith V likes this.
  10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

The acoustic lead guitar as in the middle eight at the 1:50 mark? That was a Fender VI bass used.
    Overall, the increased presence of the acoustic guitar is very nice.

To the OP, I was 10 when it was released. I remember riding my bike to the local record store to buy the single. Didn't seem like old folks music to me at the time. I just remember loving the melody and haunting arrangement. The lyrical appreciation came much later in life.
    Still a favorite to this day.

Tommy Jay, Suncola and alexpop like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not what we are talking about, sorry. "Searching in the sun for another overload.." etc. The acoustic guitar.

12. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Well ....today is my birthday and I am at least a bottle of Italian wine in so....not tonight. But soon perhaps.

Keith V likes this.
  13. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I have loved this and other Campbell and/or Webb songs since first hearing them back in college (early 1990s) and early 20s. I am 46 now and listen to Lineman often.

14. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

He may be thinkin of the lead break in Galveston?

15. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Happy Birthday

grapenut likes this.
  17. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

From.... Behind The Song: "Wichita Lineman" « American Songwriter »

"In a recent interview, Glen said that he and DeLory filled in what might have been a third verse with a guitar solo, one now considered iconic. He still can recall playing it on a DanElectro six-string bass guitar belonging to legendary L.A. bass player and Wrecking Crew member Carol Kaye. It remains Glen’s favorite of all his songs."

Suncola, Cardanken and alexpop like this.
  18. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

First time I remember hearing it was a Meters cover on the Struttin album. Had no idea what the lyrics are about. I'm 48 and it hit me hard about 10 years back. I can't imagine being a teenager and caring for it though. All I cared about back then was Led Zep, Rush and the mighty Van Halen

Cardanken likes this.
  19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not dated. Timeless.

20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Even before Jimmy Webb wrote the song, people were already saying everything had already been written about in song. This is the first and only song I've ever heard about a telephone lineman.

21. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

I'm 25 and absolutely love Glen Campbell.

22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Who me? Nope, definitely talking about Wichita Lineman.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

" ‘Wichita Lineman’ is a simple song about an ordinary man thinking extraordinary thoughts."-- Billy Joel

905 and Raylinds like this.
  24. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Fills me with emotion. My dad bought this and I own it now. I can feel those times when I hear this song. I was seven when this was released...

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good read:

Behind The Song: "Wichita Lineman" « American Songwriter »

"Why did such an unlikely song become a standard? There are many reasons, but here’s one: the loneliness of that solitary prairie figure is not just present in the lyric, it’s built into the musical structure. Although the song is nominally in the key of F, after the tonic chord is stated in the intro it is never heard again in its pure form, with the root in the bass. The melody travels through a series of haunting changes that are considerably more sophisticated than the Top 40 radio norms of that era. The song never does get “home” again to the tonic – not in either verse, nor in the fade-out. This gorgeous musical setting suggests subliminally what the lyric suggests poetically: the lonely journeyman, who remains suspended atop that telephone pole, against that desolate prairie landscape, yearning for home."

GT40sc, Folknik, Mooserfan and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.