October Zappa releases: Little Dots, Chicago '78, Uncle Meat Project/Object!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by O Don Piano, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It was bricked. Oh well, that wasn't a very subtle band anyway.

vudicus likes this.
  2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

"Feeding the monkeys at ma maison" is also totally must have ! And so is "Dance me this". Especially since you included "CPIII". :)

dlokazip likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

"Dance Me This" is by far my favourite Synclavier Zappa album.

bluesbro likes this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm not very fond of Feeding..., to be honest. Dance Me This is better.
    In a way, every Zappa release is essential (yes, even Francesco Zappa!).

5. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

IIRC, Uncle Meat was originally planned to be a triple album called No Commercial Potential. Some of the unused material ended up on YCDTOSA vol 5, & maybe elsewhere. Maybe that's what we're going to get!

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. I don't care for much of Frank's Synclavier music so those releases are not close to essential for me. Also his Flo and Eddie band let "humor" intrude too far into some great music so much of that is disposable (love the Sofa suite though). I'm still working on Waka / Wazoo and Hot Rats and love much of it, but I think I need to just invest more time to listening to it.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

My wallet is in the corner cowering in fear now that I've learned of these releases...

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

But a triple LP is not enough to fill 3-cd's (well, it depends on the running time of the cd's, of course). I hope we get some of the material that was left off, though. I would have loved an Uncle Meat Complete Sessions, that album is a studio miracle!

Terry Shute likes this.
  9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

But these aren't the high priced sets from the old ZFT. How much was the 4cd Mofo when it came out? Surely these will end up being even cheaper.

DrBeatle, danner and Rne like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That¡s absolutely true. These new Zappa releases are normally priced. I remember paying a lot for Mofo and Lumpy Money, but the exact number skips my mind now.

vince likes this.
  11. That treatment ruined Buffalo for me. When, then rarely and only in the car. Otherwise unlistenable. Most horrible thing soundwise in the whole Zappa canon. Gives me headache. Probably a mixing and/or mastering accident. This could have sounded more like the tunes from the 1980 tour on Tinseltown Rebellion if done right.

vudicus and Rne like this.
  12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Yeah, it's a shame about Buffalo, that was a great performance marred by the mastering. Hammersmith Odeon is an absolute cracker of a release though - Black Page is a beast - and although it isn't perfectly mastered it sounds powerful and clean and the performances are monstrous.

jay.dee and DrBeatle like this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I love Hammersmith but you can tell it was mixed by a drummer.
    It almost sounds like Terry Bozzio featuring Frank Zappa and his band. :laugh:

edenofflowers and DrBeatle like this.
  14. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Tell me about it!

For some reason, they have been brickwalling the crap out of the "professional" live recordings and studio outtake releases, but the original albums and "Road Tapes" releases have been given the "audiophile" treatment.

So it goes from one extreme to the other...no consistancy at all.

And they gave "Bat Chain Puller" and "Trance Fusion" to Bob Ludwig, and he completely destroyed them...worse than his "Nevermind" remaster...and that makes me really angry. You can't even make a "mix" from the three guitar albums because the third volume is so LOUD, and BCP is the only Beefheart album that has ever been mastered like that.

Are you listening, Joe?

coolsound, bluesbro and vudicus like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A new widely-available Bat Chain Puller would be well-received here! :D

16. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

FINALLY!!! :)

17. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

There is no such thing as a "pass" when Frank is involved...lol

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe Lumpy Money was $50.

19. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

I didn't know Frank Filipetti was a drummer...

20. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

I've waited so long for UM I can't believe it's finally going to happen!

This is the "breaking news" of the year!

I hope the whole thing is "substantial"
    in it's content

21. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Yes, this!!

22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Flo & Eddie, I think, tried to steal the spotlights with their shtick. Most of their 'humor' isn't funny in any way, if you ask me. Chunga's Revenge is the only album from that period that really works for me all the way through because their contributions are right what they should be: Some nice harmonies, a little goofy and packaged within a couple of 3-minute-songs. It went overboard afterwards. It's a good thing Frank decided to change gears while recuperating from the stage accident.

Tristero and Pete Puma like this.
  23. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Are there any other sources than those Amazon links confirming this? Any official statements?

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

They can be a bit much but I do love Billy the Mountain.

serendipitydawg and jay.dee like this.
  25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member Thread Starter

I love the Flo & Eddie albums! Frank hired them because of their "schtick". You can tell they're having a great time, playing with lots of enthusiasm, and the epic Billy The Mountain still makes me laugh and is highly entertaining. Howard has a fine, expressive voice. I know most of you hate the low-brow humor and over-the-top groupie worship/commentary. I get that. The humor was very "local American".
    I feel the problem with the initial LPs from that lineup is that they weren't very illustrative of the fact that the band had a great groove, and the shows were well-paced, like most Zappa shows. With Playground Psychotics (I happen to like the spoken word documentary tracks a lot!), Road Tapes 3, Carnegie Hall, and easy-to-find November 1970 Fillmore East shows, you get a much more balanced idea of what his band could really do.

Zappa was never serious 100% of the time.

I'm for a full release of Live At The Fillmore East 1971 show! The songs from YCDTOSA are great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.