"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Here is a picture of a chart with the position of the treasure in the mid 1800's. At the time, the bottom of the shaft was 170 feet down. There were 2 chests, and a main treasure chamber. The main treasure chamber was at 151 feet, and the bottom of the pit had an iron plate at 170 feet.

[​IMG]

2. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I see they have season 2 on DVD. I ordered it, and am watching it now.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

What the hell happened to
    Digging Down tonight , it was
    tagged when i set the dvr , now
    it says Billion Dollar Wrecks
    Sneak Peak !

:realmad:

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

......sorry , Drilling Down

5. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

I'll admit that 10X was a disappointment tonight. Next season looks intriguing with the big plans discussed. Regardless of finding any significant treasure, I like this show for it's blend of history, mythology, engineering and even the group of families involved.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Seems like draining 10-X should
    have been done from the get-go .

Drilling Down airing next Tuesday !

xdawg likes this.
  7. xdawg

I'm not sure what has changed, but they were worried about the walls collapsing in 10X if it was drained. They felt that the water pressure was helping keep the walls stable. We'll see what they end up doing next season.

Scope J likes this.
  8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

It has been referred to as Hoax Island around here :)

Karnak, Sneaky Pete and kevywevy like this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'd really like for them to find something. I don't know why. But this show just seems so formulaic. Wow, it looks like they're finally on to something. Oh no, dead end? Nothing? Hey look over there...repeat. I think I'm ready to bail on this show.

10. They pushed it back to next week. I would imagine most are disappointed by what they found at the bottom of 10-X. Personally, whatever treasure that may have been buried on Oak Island is long gone in my estimation. We now have decades of dedicated people spending serious money on Oak Island with nothing in return.

I would wager it was once used as a hiding place of sorts for plunder by pirates. While fascinated by the history of Oak Island, it's a fruitless journey to keep digging the island up and 10-X looks like a complete dud.

11. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I'm still enjoying the show, and I'm not near ready to give up on it, but your quote reminds me of the one thing that is driving me crazy about the show: The narration.
    Everytime they find something...anything, the narrator responds with his stupid question style of narration. Made up example: "A gold cross? Found in the money pit? Could it mean that the alien members of the Knights Templar were there? What does it mean going forward?" Then, it always turns out to be a big nothing-burger. If they pulled that once a show, it wouldn't bug me, but it happens multiple times a show, just to build up drama, and it's getting old to me.

12. xdawg

13. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

After cutting film-making tax incentives, our guvmint has now given the Oak island production company a $1 million plus subsidy. True.

15. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I'm glad they renewed the show. There are things that really bug me about the show, sometimes. I'm also sure that they won't really find anything.
    It's about the journey. It's fun watching them explore. Plus, the show is 10X better than all of the other stupid 'reality' shows on right now.

xdawg likes this.
  16. I never watched the show because, unless the show was live, we would have found out on the news if they had ever actually found anything.

17. Until? It's been a money pit for over a century.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  18. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I cant believe I missed this thread. I also cant believe that the Curse of Oak Island is coming back for another season. I'm not sure why I watched this show, but I never missed an episode. The whole thing was ludicrous IMO, a search for treasure based on an old Readers Digest article. As far as I could tell they never found anything that wasn't left behind by treasure hunters from decades and centuries past. Still, I watched it. The Lagina bros were funny. Every time something doesn't go right, "It's this Island, man."
    Hunting Hitler was another bomb. I cant believe Robert Baer attached himself to this program so vigorously. Must have been the money. A lot of the evidence was based on old FBI files. "An FBI report says Hitler was reported as moving between the towns of X & Y in Argentina." I have read that J. Edgar Hoover had his agents put every rumor, no matter how remarkable or unsubstantiated, into their reports. It made for large files to show off when necessary. I find it hard to believe that ex-CIA man Bob Baer put such stock in 1940s & 50s FBI files.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  19. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I agree with every word regarding Oak Island. I don't know why I watch. But I do. There's another show, maybe on History channel, about these guys searching for gold in hills out west somewhere. Following maps. It's just as bad. But you better believe I'll be there watching.

xdawg likes this.
  20. I'm guessing the show has been a huge boon for tourism. I can't blame them, locals probably benefit from the production crews and visitors.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Did Hunting Hitler get renewed ?

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Nice to see that we are not alone in having legislators who are "prudent" in spending our hard-earned dollars. ;-)

I started watching but bailed almost immediately because of the endless recaps. They spend half the time reexplaining what just happened. By the third episode I was ready to throw the TV out the window.

Gumboo and Borgia like this.
  23. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

No, as far as I know. There's nothing about it on the www.

Scope J likes this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

New season starts 11-15 !

Borgia and xdawg like this.
  25. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Be still my heart.

xdawg and Scope J like this.