2016 AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LavidDange, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I just got the vinyl reissues of Sublime, s/t and 40 0z to Freedom.. The hype sticker mentions remastering and virgin vinyl but nothing about the source used.

I did find that the website vintagevinylnews.com, while discussing the larger box, states that the albums "have been newly remastered for vinyl from the original master recordings, and in many cases original analog tapes."

If anyone knows anything further about how these albums were recorded, mixed and/or remastered, I figured it would be here. These records sound great!

johnnypaddock and scotth like this.
  2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. I've been really enjoying the S/T Sublime reissue. I would be surprised if it's all analog but I do think it sounds quite good.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I picked up a copy of Clapton's "I Still Do" on sale this weekend, and while it sounds great overall, there's a very irritating pressing defect that sounds like an intermittent, split-second bee buzz at certain sections on the A side of the first LP (especially during "Can't Let You Do It"). The other sides are completely fine. It's not a tracking or setup matter...has anyone else had this problem? The record itself is just OK, though...nice that it was done all-analog, but I don't think it's his best stuff.

4. stem

stem Forum Resident

That sounds like "non-fill".
    It's a nasty, annoying pressing defect.
    Sorry to hear you have had this problem. Best to get a replacement.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Any more feedback on Eleanor McEvoy's naked music w
    Shoot. My wish list just will never stop growing. This one I may really have to check out. I have Yola on SACD and vinyl and have always thought it sounded fantastic. Pretty underrated music too.

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Happy to see DMB's management took the initiative on the promo sticker on the cover of the vinyl to tout the all analogue chain vs. the press release that just said "mastered from"

[​IMG]

Steve Baker, John, LavidDange and 2 others like this.
  7. stem

stem Forum Resident

If you like her work anyway, I'm sure you'd appreciate this.
    It is stripped down and sounds fabulous.

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Thanks for your feedback. My taste is very eclectic. I might play Iron Maiden one morning and Diana Krall the next. This sounds like it's right up my alley. BTW, I would encourage you to try another underrated gem IMO. Sara K Waterfalls Stockfisch LP. Not AAA most likely but a wonderful sounding album I assure you. I can almost guarantee you would love it if you like McEvoy. I've never understood the lack of enthusiasm on music forums for this title but this morning I noticed it is on the Absolute Sound super disc list. Sounds like at least somebody else gave it a try.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Not a 2016 album maybe but a 2016 reissue, DMB Crash is a winner IMO. I'm partial to this album anyway but I think the sound quality is on par with Remember Two Things. If they can only do Before These Crowded Streets and Busted Stuff this well I'll be a happy sucker with my wallet open.

FashionBoy and Steve Baker like this.
  10. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I think Crash is "first time on vinyl", so basically it's almost like a new release :D

FashionBoy likes this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Full disclosure, this is one of my all time favorite albums anyway. My splatter vinyl is dead quiet with none of the distortion I've heard some complain of. I did have to give the Vinyl Flat treatment to disc one with complete success. Based on what I'm hearing, if you like this album and get a copy you think is subpar, keep trying. The payoff is huge. So glad to have this title on vinyl sounding like this.

12. John

John Senior Member

Yes this is very cool. Now I hope there will be a similar approach to Under The Table. Would love to see CB do that one from the tapes. BTW, thanks for your review of that one on the AS site. You saved me from making a purchase that I would have been disappointed with.

dobyblue likes this.
  13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Hopefully we get a 4LP 45rpm set and they'll send the tapes to CB to do it, instead of cutting from Jensen-mastered digital files. Crash sounds so much better than UTTAD to my ears, but UTTAD's running times would lend themselves perfectly to a go for broke sonics AAA 45rpm cut over 8 sides. I'd be first in line to preorder. :)

I don't anticipate them redoing the 33rpm.

However I can guarantee with BTCS the 33rpm will be done the same way as Crash (AAA, cut from tape, Chris Bellman).

panasoffkee, FashionBoy and SergioRZ like this.
  14. John

John Senior Member

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
    33RPM on 4 sides works for me, trying to get 8 quiet sides in this day and age might be a pain, but if that's the way it has to be... And you bring up a good point, that is redoing the 33 is not likely.
    I am really bummed about UTTAD, talk about a missed opportunity:doh:

15. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

What a fantastic thread and idea! Keep goin'!

LavidDange and FashionBoy like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Another recommendation for Naked Music. If only they used this AAA system for the much hyped Abbey Road releases. (Both cut by Miles Showell).

Also would highly recommend the new Yes, Drama reissue from analogue tapes by KG.

SergioRZ likes this.
  17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The Naked Music LP can be bought from Diverse Vinyl for only £20 - after hearing it's praises sung on this thread I went for it - it's a lovely sounding record and you get a CD copy thrown in as a bonus.

18. jruser

jruser Forum Resident

Are MFSL vinyl releases AAA? Or does it vary from title to title?

19. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I believe all of the standard ones are. However, the silver label are not.

20. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If I understand correctly (I may be mistaken), silver label releases can be all-analogue, they're just not cut from the original master tape.

patient_ot and scotth like this.
  21. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Not necessarily, the standard "Original Master Recording" banner means they used the original recording format. Brothers in Arms for example was originally recorded in an all digital chain using DATs that go up possibly as high as 16/48, it can come under the OMR banner because they used the original stereo master.

In fact it was Brothers in Arms being released under the Original Master Recording banner that led me to question them and they pointed out it doesn't say "Original Master Analog Recording". :)

Anything coming on the OMR banner that you know was originally recorded to analogue, will be AAA.

SergioRZ and patient_ot like this.
  24. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Is there a list for AAA reissues?

25. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

What's the verdict on the Margo Price album? AAA? If not, what is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.